Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87228 - 03/03/07 02:31 PM Re: snowpeak [Re: jmarkantes]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I'll veer a little side tracked and a little contrary here - just my opinions:

If one carries a Nalgene bottle in a mug-kettle (mugle???...nah), where does the lid to the kettle go?

Tall and skinny kettles are an abomination in windy and/or cold conditions. You can use a wind screen, you can insulate, but they suck in these conditions.

Ditto uneven terrain.

I've (reluctantly) used Nalgene bottles so long that I've some "museum pieces" (HDPE) that are so brittle one can poke a finger thru them and crumble them up (polycarbonate ones MUCH better!)

The large mouth versions (virtually all of ours are that type) are a PITA to drink from - witness the wide availability of "splash guards", Said splash guards rob the bottles of their one virtue - ease of stuffing something like snow into them or dumping a baggie of Hydrolite into the bottle.

Theoretically, wide mouth cylindrical water bottles are slightly more resistant to freeze-up than narrow-mouth military canteens. Practically speaking, there is no difference.

The ideal opening size, IME, is the size commonly found on 20 - 24 oz sports drink bottles (which, BTW, make decent water bottles for the frugal-minded). Don't have one in front of me, but call them roughly 40mm diameter.

A 1.5 - 2 quart pot with lid takes up zero room: sew up a little stuff sack that fits inside the pot and put things you normally stow elsewhere in the stuff sack. Put stuff sack in the kettle.

I have a STRONG preference for a US military canteen cup over the Nalgene bottle equivalent (have and use BOTH). Spend some quality time using both for heating, cooking, drinking, filling water bottles, etc and see what you conclude. BUT - I do not like the narrow-mouth canteen for anything but sipping. If someone would modify the military canteen design to incorporate a 35 - 40mm mouth, I would buy two for everyone in the family, plus spares.

I use hydration bladders almost exclusively for the past few years (Camel Bak by preference, plus sometimes a nifty Platypus roll-up bottle for in-camp use - replaces the gallon milk jug I used to carry). I never put anything but potable water in my bladders. I carry at least one water bottle for 2 reasons: mixing electrolyte replacement and because various incidents over the years have molded me into a "belt-and-suspenders" mindset about water. I have learned to really trust my Camel Bak bladders, so maybe there is some hope for me in the future...

So I DO carry a metal cup (and have used it a LOT over the years). Winters and family also drive me to carry a 2 qt kettle + lid 99% of the time, although soloing (rare these days) I may leave the kettle back home in non-winter conditions.

I hate the taste of water roasted over an open fire (bag melted). Give me carefully melted water in a kettle any day... as the hard-soot blackened exterior of my battered 2 qt pot bears silent witness (don't forget the lid!)

Carry a metal spoon. Lexan, nylon, and lesser plastics will melt at the most inopportune time... I've switched to a titanium spoon from SS and while I love it, I wouldn't miss it if I had to go back to a clunker SS spoon.

Also, for longer trips, a sawed-off wooden spoon is a fantastic implement. But a bag of cheap ones, cut down the handles with a hacksaw, sand end hemispherical, and toss at the end of each trip or do the same to any old wooden spoon and work in a few coats of USP mineral oil + beeswax. (They can get moldy if you don't take care of them between trips).

I warned you I would veer a little askew of the main topic... anyway, these are my opinions. <shrug> use what works for you. But DO always carry a metal mug or kettle!

Tom

#87238 - 03/03/07 04:08 PM Re: snowpeak [Re: AyersTG]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One interesting thing I have noticed about my "fit over the end of a Nalgene bottle" cup is that it will not fit over the end of a polycarbonate bottle of the same capacity. Go figure.

As for carrying the homemade "lid" for the cup, I made a little "stove" for the mug from a 12 oz coffee can. That fits (very tightly) inside of the non-insulated carrier I have for the bottle. I used the cut off top from another tin can (the coffee can had one of those foil tear-off tops) as the lid for the cup, it fits inside of the stove, the cup slides inside of the stove, the bottle inside of the stove and cup. Not real fast to remove from the carrier, not the best lid in the world, but at least it is all there in one place...

#87289 - 03/04/07 06:08 AM Re: snowpeak [Re: AyersTG]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You can use the cut out end of a coffee can to make a lid for a GSI or Olicamp cup. Put it under the cup in the pouch, or in with your cook kit, and it will take up effectively no space.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#87531 - 03/06/07 05:32 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I might also pack a tall billy pot that fits over a water bottle-- it has the advantage of having a lid. Anyone kow of a model that would fit?

Teacher

#87581 - 03/06/07 11:35 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: teacher]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm, a billy pot is a good idea. It's somewhere between a mug and a pot, and quite at home over a small-stick fire. And, the extra capacity is always worthwhile. Time to check the catalogues.

I've seen hard-anodized aluminum ones that are the right size (I think). But I would want one made of stainless steel, with some option for a solid handle. The rim of a stainless steel item cools very quickly and lets you drink tea/soup out of it directly. Believe me, aluminum does not -- a guaranteed scorcher until the contents are lukewarm.

#87583 - 03/07/07 12:49 AM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The closest to a nalgene-fitting billy is the ti-Lite, which is a lot larger than most of the cups, or a coffee can. I've been looking for a while for something in the .9 liter size for 1.0 liter nalgenes.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88334 - 03/14/07 04:54 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

If you can't see the photo, I've got it here

http://familydisasterplanning.blogspot.com/

on my blog

#88430 - 03/15/07 02:21 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: teacher]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Teacher,
I checked out the mug in your blog. It looks perfect. Where did you get it?

#88439 - 03/15/07 04:54 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: 91gdub]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I got the mug at a Goodwill type store -- it is BIG and some sort of rolled metal.

#88483 - 03/15/07 10:56 PM Re: New gear -- BIG MUG [Re: teacher]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Thanks

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.