The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#84337 - 01/29/07 08:23 PM Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I just wanted to share a problem that we're having with Princeton Tec Aurora headlamps.

A few years ago I bought an Aurora for each member of my family - for camping. Eventually I replaced mine with a PT EOS, which has a friction clicker that helps hold it in place and has done me very well, plus it is a LOT brighter.

After a year of Scout campouts, the hinge on my Son's Aurora started loosening, causing the headlamp to flop down. He tried wearing it upside down, but then it didn't aim properly. I used the Leatherman to tighten it, but the big phillips driver was too big, and the tiny one was so small I was afraid I'd strip the slots. I tightened it when back home. It loosened again fairly quickly, so I replaced his with an EOS.

Last weekend while in Eagle Cave in Wisconsin my daughter's Aurora did the very same thing. Again, I didn't have the screwdriver with me (it was in the car) so she carried it in her hand. After I got home I ordered new EOS's for my daughter and my wife. Now the Aurora's will be limited to home use.

Now my only problem is that the EOS is so darn comfortable that I put it over my winter hat and forget it is there, so when I pull my hat off the EOS goes flying. Its happened twice - once on a forest floor and last weekend on a concrete cave floor. Luckily it didn't break and didn't even scratch.

#84338 - 01/29/07 09:05 PM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Sounds like a job for a little dab of Loc-Tite to me.

Craig.

#84339 - 01/30/07 12:36 AM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

I once used Loc-Tite to secure the screw on a shower knob that kept coming loose, and the stuff melted right through the plastic and destroyed the knob. Obviously it wasn't the right stuff to use.

#84340 - 01/30/07 02:16 AM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
There are various grades of Loctite, try to find some purple Loctite which will keep the hardware from loosening but will not be as coorosive.

#84341 - 01/31/07 07:20 PM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
paulr Offline
Addict

Just use your SAK or multitool to tighten it down when necessary. Dunno about loctite, I haven't used that on mine.

#84342 - 02/03/07 05:34 PM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I've had luck solving similar loose-thread problems with a wrap or two of white (plumber's) Teflon tape around the offending machine screw. Fills the loose threads a bit, and creates enough friction to improve screw retention.

Dan

#84343 - 02/03/07 05:46 PM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

I've had a couple of mine loosen up on me like that, but a quick tighten with a Phillips solved the problem. You might try putting a drop of clear fingernail polish around the screw head after tightening.

Kevin B.

#84344 - 02/04/07 01:56 AM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
bluenorth Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Slightly OT, but is the EOS on low power suitable for reading? I use my Aurora for reading in my camper sometimes, but I'm thinking of getting an EOS for the longer throw when I'm outside.

#84345 - 02/04/07 04:09 AM Re: Princeton Tec Aurora Floppiness
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

It depends on your eyesite. I tend to prefer the medium setting for reading, but my eyes are getting a bit older and I need bright light for reading. I almost always use the lowest setting inside my tent at night - when putting gear away and setting up stuff for the night.

When in the cave camping last weekend I tended to run the EOS at the medium setting. It was plenty bright enough to see where I was walking and I wanted to save the batteries since the cave called longer usage times. I used the high level when lighting up other people's gear - to help them find whatever they were looking for.

I do think you'd find the EOS just fine for reading - one of the two lower levels would suite your needs. I certainly like the high level's throw.

My Aurora's primary function in life is at home - I use it for reading when my wife wants to sleep.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.