Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#84069 - 01/27/07 12:34 AM Leatherman?
Boacrow Offline
journeyman

I've heard alot of hype over the Leatherman multi-tools and I was wondering, for the expense, is the extra stuff really worth it? I have had multi-tools in the past when I did work that required various tools because I thought it would be a help in some cases, but I found that I never used them. After looking through the Leatherman site and thinking about it, there really isn't a tool on a leatherman that I would use in the woods, and any tool it has that might be used in a urban survival situation I already carry in my car anyway (which is the only place I can think of I would even use something like this). I was just wondering about the cost versus value of these types of tools.

#84070 - 01/27/07 02:28 AM Re: Leatherman?
Angel Offline

I have to agree with you about this. I don't think the price is worth putting out there for something I wouldn't use. I'm not really sold on SAK's either. I had a SAK for years and never used it and I always took it with me on my trips out in the wilderness. I ended up just giving it away.

#84071 - 01/27/07 02:56 AM Re: Leatherman?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Some of the multi-tools seem to have more gizmos on them than Carter has Little Liver Pills. Santa gave me the new monster Surge, but after playing with it a couple of days I gave it back to him, and returned to the Supertool that I have been carrying for years. I don't used all of the tools in it, but at least once a day I will use a blade, screwdriver, file, or the pliers. Sure, I have "real" pliers and screwdrivers, etc in my tool box, but I have the Leatherman with me, and the toolbox is somewhere else. Different strokes I guess...

#84072 - 01/27/07 03:28 AM Re: Leatherman?
camerono Offline

I had a Gerber multi tool for a while and didn't use it much. It was stolen a while ago so I wanted a replacement. Santa got me a Leatherman Wave and I love it. I don't EDC it but always have it on outings. The last great thing it did for me? I was snowshoeing and when I pulled a hood over my head it squeezed my glasses and popped a lens out. I thought %$#@ now what am I going to do? I figured I would just bite the bullet and risk the tip of the knife tightening the screw back down on my glasses ....but...lo and behold the Wave has a little tiny screwdriver built right in.

Really I have used my wave more in the last month than I used my Gerber in the last 3 years.

I say Leatherman = cool.

Just my 2cents

Cameron

#84073 - 01/27/07 03:35 AM Re: Leatherman?
Angel Offline

Thats why I carry an eyeglass repair kit. Plus I have a magnifying glass for firestarting if I need it. And if I lose a screw from my glasses I have extras.

#84074 - 01/27/07 04:22 AM Re: Leatherman?
Boacrow Offline
journeyman

I see a few people that don't seem to EDC their leatherman. I'm not knocking them or anything like that, I just don't think the advantage outweighs the cost for me. I haven't really priced them till recently because I never really wanted one. When I saw the price I couldn't believe it. I'm just wondering if there are uses that I haven't thought of. There would almost have to be to make it such a popular knife. One thing I've found with those type multitools (I've had really cheap versions of them) is that they are not very comfortable to work with and I have just never needed any of the tools they have in them bad enough to justify buying one.

As a quick rundown, here are the tools I've seen on these type of tools....

1. Knife blade. I already have plenty of knives and the handles are far more comfortable.
2. Screwdriver tips. I haven't ever needed a screwdriver while camping, although the eyeglass repair is certainly one of those things that would make the tool pay for itself with one use. I've never needed one however.
3. File. I have stones for sharpeningso I don't need that really. Plus I have a small bastard file in my bag that has a point on one end so if worse comes to worse, I can use it as a spear if the need ever arises (that to has never happened although I have hammered it into a tree to hang something on)
4. Can opener. I use P-38s so I've never needed one of these either. The P-38s are great so I have several scattered throughout my gear just in case on breaks or gets lost.
5. Ruler. I'm not sure what that's for. I've never needed a 6 inch ruler even at work.
6. Pliers. Probably the most noticeable tool on there. I've got hemostats and tweezers for splinters and such and I very seldom ever use them. I mostly just use a pocket knife
7. Saw. I've never used a saw that small although I tried it once. It didn't really work for me. I've got a bowsaw, two folding saws, two tomahawks, and a machete. I don't really need a two inch saw.
8. Awl. Not really sure about this one. I work with leather making holsters and sheaths and stuff for my own personal use (they aren't really that good since I can't cut a straight line) and I've never owned an awl. I usually either poke holes with a knife blade, or just jam the needle through as best I can.
9. Bottle opener. I think these are mostly nostalgic. I can't remember the last time I had to use a bottle opener. Almost everything is twist off now.
10. Wire strippers. I don't do alot of electrical work in the woods. I do install car stereos for friends but I use my teeth for stripping wire. It was a habit I started when I was younger and didn't always have wire strippers.

Anyway, I know that most of the people here have other uses fo the tools. I'm curious what kinds of uses you guys have for these things. For me, it's just not worth paying that much for something I would never use anyway, but as has already been stated, there are people that use them and they would be handy from time to time.

On a side note, what is the most bizzare or outrageous use for a leatherman that you folks have come up with? Is there a case where someone here has used one for something that they would have never even thought of because it would have sounded so outrageous? I love the stories like that so let's hear them all.

#84075 - 01/27/07 04:43 AM Re: Leatherman?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

You are correct, some of the tools in most multi's are a joke. I wish that mine didn't have the can opener (got the same P-38 I have been carrying for 40years on my key chain, and it works as well today as it did brand new), bottle opener, awl (and a rotten awl it is), and I wish my file was the newer diamond version. I have used the saw on all kinds of small things, filed both wood and metal, crimped solderless connectors, cut wire, cut with both the straight and serriated bladed, gripped all kinds of things with the pliers, used all of the screwdriver blades on a jillion screws (Phillips is used the most), and cut all kinds of things with both the straight and serriated blades. I have even measured things with the ruler. All because a better tool was not readily at hand.

The only war story I can think of at the momemt is that a month or so ago I was "working" at a campground that also had a couple of cabins. While checking the cabins one day, I discovered that something had settled, and the strikerplate on the door no longer lined up with the lock on the door. My "real" tools were a pretty good hike away, so I whipped out Mr. Leatherman, used the Phillips to remove the plate, used an edge of the plate as a straightedge, and the tip of the straight blade to scribe a line, then used the blade to remove the wood. Then of course replace the screws. All in about four or five minutes. Works for me.

But it sounds as if your mind is made up, so don't buy one...

#84076 - 01/27/07 05:15 AM Re: Leatherman?
Boacrow Offline
journeyman

That's a pretty good story. I like to hear how people improvise in short order situations. That's the kind of thing that most people would take for granted, but if you had to walk back to get your tools, you would've certainly wished you had that particular tool. I can appreciate that sort of thing. I imagine that's only one of a hundred times you've used it in a pinch and I can see how that would be a nice thing to have.

It sounds like you get alot of use out of yours and I can see that you're glad you have it. If you could change it in any way, what would you add to it or remove from it? Has there ever been a "survival" type multi-tool like that? The ones they have now are more maintenance type tool kits than survival oriented.

#84077 - 01/27/07 05:24 AM Re: Leatherman?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

As for what I would remove, re-read my post above. As for what I would add, re-read my post above, and add maybe the scissors Leatherman puts on some models, and the newer verion of little bitty screwdriver. Others might want a fish scaler, a guthook blade, no telling what else. Different stroke for different folks...

#84078 - 01/27/07 05:31 AM Re: Leatherman?
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I prefer a Victorinox Swisstoll Spirit to a Leatherman Wave. I have both and found the Spirit to be more comfortable and easy to use as well as more robust. To me the Spirit would be perfect if it included a plain edge one hand opening blade. Even without that, I find it useful although I do not EDC it on my person. It is in a bag since I don't like too much stuff on my belt.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.