Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83999 - 01/27/07 02:51 AM "Crazy Salt"
Menawa Offline

Ron, I agree that some type of seasoning is nice to have when you must eat survival foods. Mountain men and early explorers always carried their salt block and a few peppercorns. Most "survivalists" only read books and theorize about eating wild foods. Until you've actually tried it, you don't realize how important seasoning can be. I always carry a few bouillon cubes in my PSK or on my person when camping and hiking. I often experiment with scavenged food and have found that a bouillon cube in the pot makes all the difference in the palatibility of minnow chowder, pine needle tea, inner birch bark soup, boiled poke salad, squirrel or wood rat stew, etc. A little "crazy salt" or something similar would be just as useful and can make the difference between being able to get down nourishment or puking.

#84000 - 01/27/07 03:00 AM Re: "Crazy Salt"
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And don't forget the Taco Bell hot sauce packets: small and don't require refrigeration. Always ask for extra.

Sue

#84001 - 01/27/07 05:05 AM Flylines and Froglegs
Fallshirmjager Offline

Learning to cast a flyline is a worthwhile skill. Even hard worked fish are suckers for a fly, and a light rod tip kills more fish.
A flyrod works a lot more water, faster, and you can instantly drop a fly to a rising fish, rather than reel in, cast, and crank repeatedly.
A roll cast or a sidearm cast will lightly work a lure under overhanging limbs and banks, and the beauty of it all, is that you don't actually need a flyrod.
Line, leader, tippet and fly can be cast by hand, (well, by arm), and you can make your own flies and lures out of almost anything.

My No.1 protein choice in the wild, is froglegs.
Walk along any pond, stream, swamp edge, creek bank, feeder ditch, and you'll find frogs. Tie a line to a pole, with a hook on the end. Dap a hook off Mr. Bullfrog's nose, and he'll bite. Haul him up to you, and you now have tasty legs, and lots of guts as bait for bank lines and trot lines, and bait for snares and deadfalls on dry land.

Yes, they do kinda taste like chicken, incredibly sweet, tender chicken.

#84002 - 01/27/07 05:44 AM Re: Fishing for food
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Why do you think I carry both salt and chili powder in my ditch kit, and in it's big brother BOB, I"ve got those, plus peper, mesquite shak on, garlic powder, lemon juice crytals and bullion/ramen seasoning packets? Venison, bear, those are great. Woodchuck, muskrat, fisher, fishy duck, those all taste like *censored*- if I thought the bulk was worthwhile, I'dd add fried onions (the canned kind) and shelf stablized bacon bits for that kind of eating.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#84003 - 01/27/07 09:47 AM Re: Flylines and Froglegs
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
Dude ! Fly fishinf withour a rod ! What a concept!!

I gotta try that,and soon..

Oh ,btw for the frogs, a bit of red cellophane is THE stuff

#84004 - 01/27/07 02:50 PM Re: Flylines and Froglegs
MOAlan Offline
Stranger

Loc: central Missouri
Frogs and turtles were some of the other critters I consider for food without having to make any noise. It is also something I have grown up doing. There are hundreds of lakes, streams and the Missouri River all within my buggout area.

As I get older and my eyesight gets a bit worse, seeing through sights or even a scopes takes a bit more work while fishing or gigging can be done even if something happened to my glasses.

Your point about using the guts for bait afterwards is excellent. I don't even consider that when I fish most of the time, I like the sport of fishing then.

In a survival situation, changing my mindset may be the biggest challenge of all.

#84005 - 01/27/07 06:53 PM Re: Fishing for food
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I know this sounds ridiculous, but check the local restrictions before you pack a fishing kit.

I have previously had a gill net confiscated by game wardens while on a fishing trip. The net was unopened and packed in a survival kit. I managed to talk my way our of a ticket, but was surprised by the reaction of the game wardens. Gill nets, speed hooks, premade snares, scent baits, and other items may be illegal to simply possess in certain jurisdictions. Possession of fishing tackle without the requisite license can also result in confiscation and fines.

A bored game warden could have a field day with your bob.

M

#84006 - 01/27/07 08:10 PM Re: Flylines and Froglegs
Fallshirmjager Offline

Tie a length of yarn to a stick, to practice indoors.
As you get smoother, choke up on the stick and/or lengthen the yarn.
It also helps your flyrod casting rhythm.

/and amuses the cat.

#84007 - 01/27/07 11:37 PM Re: Fishing for food
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I think you can get some very small packages of bacon bits at some fast food places, for use on salads. I've a few in my kit.

#84008 - 01/27/07 11:58 PM Re: Fishing for food
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Fish cops do not have a sense of humor. You are about the first person I have ever heard of who managed to talk himself out of a ticket from one...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 231 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.