Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#84009 - 01/28/07 12:55 AM Re: Fishing for food
Boacrow Offline
journeyman

A fishing kit is something I've neglected in my kit. I have fishing gear, just not in my BOB. I think I'm going to get out my stuff and put together a fishing kit for my pack. One thing that I use to do when I was younger was go to the public fishing places and poke around for a bit. Usually in a few minutes I could gather enough line, hooks and sinkers to tie off a good pole and fish all day. That however is not very reliable.

I live in an area where dams are prolific ( there are four major ones within 45 minutes of my house) so usually there is plenty of gear that can be found on a bored afternoon of wreckage hunting, and there is usually no shortage of wrecks around dams. Most of my early tackleboxes were stocked in this manner and I got some really good lures that way. If you live in an area where there is alot of public fishing, you might try looking in trees overhanging the water to see those expensive lures that people lost. It's a cheap way to stock a tacklebox, and it's fun to just get out and enjoy nature. I'm gonna go get my gear out now and make me a fishing kit.

#84010 - 01/29/07 03:47 PM Re: Fishing for food
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I failed to mention that they had already hit us with $250.00 CN per guy ( 3 guys) for being 2 walleye over the limit. I think the confiscation without a fine was just being merciful.

Those were some expensive fish.

M

#84011 - 01/29/07 04:06 PM Re: Fishing for food
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have seen fish cops take the game, give a ticket, AND take the $500 shotgun that was used by the unlicensed hunter. And sometimes the judge does not give it back!!! Having a license and staying within the limit is a good idea...

#84012 - 01/29/07 04:08 PM Re: Fishing for food
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
Even without looting; when stores are still open and selling; essential items like gas cans, water cans, fishing gear, generators, food, animal feed, and anything else you can think of will disappear immediately. I was a witness to this effect during the recent midwest ice storms.
Do not even think of depending on what is on-hand in the stores during any kind of emergency.

Have it on hand, have it ready and maintained, be prepared.

Jon Davis

#84013 - 01/29/07 06:53 PM Re: Fishing for food
bassnbear Offline

Loc: Southeast US
Dynamite? Now you're talking my language! Rather than possessing and illegal gill net why not carry a jungle hammock - it will work just like a gill net and it's LEGAL.

#84014 - 01/29/07 07:13 PM Re: Fishing for food
Dragonscript Offline

Like i said, looting is only for when i can't get out of the area for some reason and/or when my current kit is exhausted and i can't buy what i need. You can be prepared for a long time but you can't last forever on what you got, you need to think what do you do after all your supplies are gone.

I'm not saying breaking the law and stealing is ok and i'm not saying you should steal supplies from other people, but if your city is half under water and everybody has left and you , for some dumb reason, are still around you still need to survive. I much rather go to jail for awhile for stealing gas and canned goods than die. Stealing TVs on the other hand are a whole diffrent story...

#84015 - 01/29/07 08:06 PM Re: Fishing for food
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Methinks perhaps "scavenging" or "salvaging" might have a better connotation than "looting". Not that either is a good plan.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#84016 - 01/29/07 11:38 PM Re: Fishing for food
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In a true survival situation, going fishing is probably not the most effective or efficient means of gathering enough food to survive off of.

I find that there are alternatives where legalities become a luxury, so would suggest the following, all of which I've tried in the past with desirable results:

Dupont spinners
Rotenone
The magneto from an old crank phone

The best one was the magneto. If you can get out in the water and insulated from it (like a boat), then the magneto is fairly discrete and localized enough that, when applied,you simply reach over and scoop up what floats to the surface. Nice and quiet, no spectacle, and fairly portable.

In survival mode, I don't tend to worry quite so much about sticking to the rules. You do what you gotta do.

#84017 - 01/30/07 03:18 AM Re: Fishing for food
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
O.K. You got me. What is "Crazy Salt".

#84018 - 01/30/07 03:30 AM Re: Fishing for food
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Crazy Salt, great question!

It's made by "Janes Krazy Mixed-Up Seasonings", the real name is: Janes Krazy Original Mixed-Up Salt.

(There is also Krazy Pepper, great for rubbing on fish, I love it on Stripped Bass)

Anyway, the back of the container says it's distributed by Flavor Delite, Inc in Richburg, SC. I get it at the local Stop & Shop or Shaw's Supermarket. I think it's been around since dirt. I found a website with a photo of the container if you want to find it in stores:
http://www.spicesgalore1.com/jankrazmixsa.html

In general, any of the spice blends would dramatically improve small game, this was just what I was always able to grab out of mom's cupboard as a young buck heading out into the world. Once I was out on my own, I guess I just had made it a habit. Try this stuff when you make home fries... to die for on an old iron skillet over a nice bed of hardwood coals on your morning cooking fire. Yummm.

- Ron

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.