Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83856 - 01/25/07 01:46 AM PSK Longevity Problem?
Dave568 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I purchased a Doug Ritter PSK a while back (at least a year ago) at a local EMS store. I bought the PSK with the intent to carry it with me when I go on hikes and backpacking trips. When I first bought it, I took all of the contents out and took a look at everything to become familiar with it. After checking each item in the kit, I was satisfied that everything was in working order, so I put it all back in the package and I've been carrying it ever since. Tonight I decided to take another look at the contents, and make sure everything is still in working order, when I noticed two things that bothered me.

First, I tried sparking the Spark-lite firestarter a couple of times to make sure it still worked. When I did so, it looked like small chunks of the flint wheel were actually falling off. After sparking it several times, my suspicions were confirmed and the flint wheel crumbled and fell off! I did a bit of searching about this, and found that it might have been from the flint oxidating because I sparked it a couple of times when I originally bought the PSK. Is this true? Should I not have tried out the sparklite until I really needed it?

Next, I noticed something with the signalling mirror. I had not removed any of the protective film, nor did I ever even remove it from the plastic package it was in. However, I noticed that there are small black marks all over the surface of the mirror. They look like they are small strands of fabric, but upon closer inspection, they appear to be INSIDE the mirror. I don't remember these from the first time I took a look at it. Is this normal? How could this have happened? I tried to take a picture of the mirror to post it here to show everyone what I mean, but I found taking a picture of a mirror with a digital camera is quite difficult. If anyone would like to see a picture of this though, I will try again and post the best results I can.

I was just wondering if any of this is normal or not. I always carry the PSK with me when I'm out and about, but now after this I'm just a little bit worried that my PSK might not be up to task if I ever do need it.

#83857 - 01/25/07 02:01 AM Re: PSK Longevity Problem?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I think you did the right thing by familiarizing yourself with the kit. The only item that I can comment on personally is the Sparklite. At one point, I bought two of them, not in kits. I did a field test of one and had terrible results. The next day I tried the second one and had excellent results. Because of that, and for general redundancy's sake, I always carry multiple firestarting items.

#83858 - 01/25/07 02:29 AM Re: PSK Longevity Problem?
Dave568 Offline

I also always carry redundant firestarting methods. I carry a Survival Inc. Strikeforce full of Sparklite tinder in the hollow compartment on my person, as well as matches in my backpack. However, if something should happen to those two and all I'm left with is my PSK, I would be in for quite a surprise when my only firestarting device crumbled and fell apart.

#83859 - 01/25/07 02:34 AM Re: PSK Longevity Problem?
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Dave, I've never heard of this, but, now am wondering if there were some way to protect it somehow. Maybe putting decissant in the case? Odd...I've never even thought of that happeneing. I too carry mine every time I venture into the outdoors. Mine also contains a lighter, as a backup to my backup. Now though, I may swing by Dicks & pick up a couple more sparklites.

#83860 - 01/25/07 02:53 AM Black marks in my signal mirror
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
A couple of days ago I pulled out the signal mirror from my Ritter PSK. I needed it as a mirror to help me check myself for head lice (one of the unpublished benefits of having a kid in elementary school). My mirror also has the black marks, and I know they weren't there when I bought the kit a year ago. Haven't tried the spark lite in a while.

#83861 - 01/25/07 03:02 AM Re: Black marks in my signal mirror
Dave568 Offline

Quote:
A couple of days ago I pulled out the signal mirror from my Ritter PSK. I needed it as a mirror to help me check myself for head lice (one of the unpublished benefits of having a kid in elementary school). My mirror also has the black marks, and I know they weren't there when I bought the kit a year ago. Haven't tried the spark lite in a while.

I am fairly sure they weren't there on mine either. I wonder what causes these black marks? And I wonder if this affects the effectiveness of the mirror as a signalling device?

#83862 - 01/25/07 03:25 AM Re: PSK Longevity Problem?
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
I didn't have great results with one of the sparklites that I had either. Maybe it worked just fine, but it just didn't have anywhere near the amount of sparks that I can get from WSI's mini Mg/ferro rod (called a "Sparky" by Doug). Add that to the fact that the sparklite has its spring and wheel mechanical parts (thus more prone to failure in my opinion), and it ended up getting replaced in my personally assembled kit. I hope I don't run into any 'weakening from oxidation' trouble with that ferro rod. Is that common with those?

And hearing about the RescueFlash mirror is quite disconcerting - I have mine protected in a duct tape envelope of sorts outside my kit (for quick accessibility and to increase storage) and it's honestly not that easy to get it back in the envelope if I were to check it. I always thought that something as simple and sturdy as a polycarbonate mirror would always be there to depend on. Those mirrors would be decently expensive ($8) to have to continually replace.

#83863 - 01/25/07 04:54 AM constant condensation
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
I've had issues with condensation in my PSK. The needles and safety pins in one vial have all rusted. The spark-lite's flint disintegrated. I inspect it occasionally and try to dry it out, but it seems anytime I'm outside there's visible condensation.

Not sure what to do about that. I'm frequently in wet and cold environments, so I'm guessing the temperature changes back and forth can draw out the moisture.

J

#83864 - 01/25/07 05:00 AM Re: constant condensation
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

ER, I'm starting to get a little concerned....
As its gonna be -20 with windchill tomorrow, I may repack the contents, and check the thing out again.

#83865 - 01/25/07 02:12 PM Re: Black marks in my signal mirror
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Mirrors can definitely do this. I've had to reliably replace the helmet mirror I use when road biking once per year. Somehow the silvering isn't sealed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.