Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83476 - 01/22/07 01:02 PM sak rescue tool
Xterior Offline

I've just seen a new model sak. The Rescue Tool. It has a saw to cut trough windscreens, wich looked verry impressive in the video.

But.. what do the pro's think ? Is it a usefull investment ?

A little edit. I'm sure it's not up compared to the equipment the pro's have. It's more for the bypassing person who is first by an accident en knows first aid and cpr, en want's to get to a victim.

Edited by Xterior (01/22/07 03:45 PM)

#83477 - 01/22/07 01:35 PM Re: sak rescue tool
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

hmm... cutting through a windscreen without a form of breathing protection...

looks impressive though.

#83478 - 01/22/07 02:08 PM Re: sak rescue tool
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Where can ya buy one?

#83479 - 01/22/07 02:13 PM Re: sak rescue tool
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Having removed untold numbers of windshields since joining the FD back in 89 I would have to say no. First off there are any number of tools out there that do the job much better. Items like hydrolic cutters, specially made saws just for glass removal and our dept favorite... the cordless sawzall!

Using a hand saw on a windshield will cause the vehicle to rock back and forth. Whitout proper stabilazation it will require more effort and more importantly may cause more damage to the patient inside the vehicle.

On the FD the first thing we do "to" a car is "crib" the car. we stack blocks of wood under the fram and then let the air out of the tires to make the car as stable as possible. Then we try the doors or side or rear windows to gain access to the pt. About the only time we remove the front windscreen is if we are going to remove the roof for easier access.

All that being said it may have a place in a FF/EMT/Emergency responders pocket.

Hope this helps.
Be safe

#83480 - 01/22/07 02:43 PM Re: sak rescue tool
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
I'll have to agree with Matt26, there are better ways to remove vehicular glass. The one exception might be for the first responder operating from a private vehicle prior to the arrival of emergency apparatus. However, the uses are limited at best. You can probably purchase a spring loaded punch, small prying device, and a "tool box hand saw" for a lot less money.

#83481 - 01/22/07 03:42 PM Re: sak rescue tool
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having been involved in the rescue of more than one person from a vehicle, I would have to say that the only features I noticed that might be of a little use, other than the bottle opener, are the belt cutter and "window breaker." But, any serated blade will zip thru a seatbelt, and a spring loaded centerpunch, avaliable for a few bucks at any hardware store, will do a better job on a tempered glass window. The very first part of the video, removing the windshield without damaging it, really cracked me up. The times I have seen or done that, removing the "rubber ring" from around the thing is only half of the battle. You didn't just lift the glass out, it was still really stuck to the vehicle. Really really stuck...

#83483 - 01/22/07 06:05 PM Re: sak rescue tool
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
IMHO, the Smith & Wesson rescue tool is a better choice. I did an extracation training session with it, although not a real life one.

#83484 - 01/22/07 06:58 PM Re: sak rescue tool
Xterior Offline

In Europe I found it for € 59. But since everything in Europa considering nice gear is much more expensive , I figure it would be not more than $ 59 althought a simple exchange rate conversion would suggest otherwise.

Edited by Xterior (01/22/07 07:21 PM)

#83485 - 01/22/07 07:16 PM Re: sak rescue tool
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you are going to go breaking glass with people inside, please keep in mind that side and rear windows are tempered glass, which breaks easily with any pointed object, and while the little bitty pieces of glass that result will cut you, but not too badly. Windshields, on the other hand, are hard to break, and make a jillion little shards of glass that will get into eyes, ears, lungs, all kinds of bad places. And glass, when it gets into an open wound, is very hard for doctors to locate and remove, and does not show up on x-rays. So you MUST cover the victim with something (plastic "body blankets" that most highway cops carry work pretty well), and you have to be very careful when you remove the blanket, those little pieces of glass will go everywhere...

#83486 - 01/22/07 10:00 PM Re: sak rescue tool
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I have in my possession one of Vitorinox’s new Rescue knives for testing. I have not had a chance to test it yet, but it is an interesting tool. Like all of Vitorinox’s tool, it is well built . After I test this knife, along with a number of other rescue tools, there will be a review up on ETS main site.

I will say this, I am not excited about a window saw, but we will see how it performs. I am also a fan of using a “Sawzall” on windshields second to that, the controlled use of an axe on a crib vehicle windshield is still the best method for quick access where a “Sawzall” is not available.

Is this knife a good investment? It depends on what you are looking for, most "rescue tools" have little use outside of rescue work although the Victorinox is a SAK and has more then just rescue feature.

It is a high quality tool, and my initial impression that it’s features (besides the window saw) will make it a good tool for EMS providers.

For a rescue knife, it will not replace my Gerber Hinderer in my Turnouts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.