Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#83267 - 01/18/07 04:24 PM Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Stayed up to watch this last night. Interview with a NOLA survivior was interesting. She commented something a long the lines of we didn't think it was going to be this
destructrive. Hard to believe.

Dave

#83268 - 01/18/07 05:33 PM Re: Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

What was the title of the show?

Thanks,

-john

#83269 - 01/18/07 06:01 PM Re: Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Survivorman. Urban survival, last night at 10PM on the West coast.

Dave

#83270 - 01/18/07 06:18 PM Re: Les Stroud "Off The Grid"
Danoon Offline

I just saw on his website that he is going to have a 90 minute special called "Off the Grid", that will play in Feb. on the Canadian station. It doesn't say anything about it being broadcast in the US. I usually watch him on the Science Channel on Thursday mornings but they don't say anything about it. Anybody know anything about it?

I didn't get the tape about he and his wife going into the great white north for a year with nothing in the way of tools or even matches. The wife said it was the $40 video or a Leatherman knife I had been wanting.. I opted for the knife.
Did anyone get it and is it worth $40. ?

Edited by Danoon (01/18/07 06:54 PM)

#83271 - 01/18/07 08:35 PM Re: Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
HI everyone,
I lived at one point in my life in NOLA (New Orleans, LA) as it's called (3 years).
At present I live in Baton Rouge, LA for the last 20 years.
Been through a number of Hurricanes, including Andrew,Betsy and Camile.
Les Stround is one of my favorites, and the urban survival was vintage as well. Les just never seems to disappoint, there is always a tid-bit for even the most seasoned ETS visitor.

Most of us (Louisiana except NOLA) are actually very prepared, The most common item being purchased before a storm is ICE (it's hard to have extra ice perpetually). My residence is suburban, but like most of my block,we have generators,battery powered everything, batteries that would match a lot of hardware stores, extensive first aid supplies,water,food,BOB,tools,Firearms, extra bedding for unexpected guest and relatives etc.
At the store most of the natives in Louisiana would chuckle at someone buying batteries the day before a hurricane.

As far as people thinking it wouldn't be that bad, I can't imagine anyone being that silly.

New Orleans is geographically in Louisiana, but almost in no other way. Most natives don't call it the big easy either, but in fact many of my friends and relatives in New Orleans are so complacent that is drives me to tears.

Most people outside of NOLA had the impression that a Katrina was inevitable. It's been a long time coming.

The most common item purchased in NOLA before the hurricane was beer and spirits.
"Laissez les bon temps roulette"(Let the good times roll) is a popular song, and I guess things were good most of the time.
The past couple of near misses caused people to wait to evacuate (a small percentage) and then those who waited went to the Super dome in shorts with flip flops, sans any kind of food,water,radio,anything. Just waiting on the government support and planning.
Strangely New Orleans is both urban and suburban, while inhabited by some of the poorest folks you can imagine.
The suburbs were and are much better prepared than the city proper. New Orleans is also home to some of the most illiterate and uneducated people in the US.
Even as a Louisiana is my home state, I have little sympathy with most NOLA dwellers. New Orleans has had so many problems, none of which are ever addressed by the people who live there,
Mostly it's just a complaint for someone else to fix it.
I am not saying that anyone there deserved it.
Just that it was both predicable and preventable.
Now the rebuilding is likely to follow the same pattern with the next hurricane causing a repeat.
As bad as this was, most major cities in the US are in just about the same shape. The big one in LA (West Coast) could put Katrina to shame, same for Frisco. One final thought is that MOST of the people who lived in NOLA and the suburbs DID evacuate, and have had plenty of practice and warning. How would that stack up with a NO WARNING event like an earthquake ? Prior evacuation wouldn't be an option. Then I wonder how prepared the average person would be prepared ?

#83272 - 01/19/07 05:13 PM Re: Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
simplesimon Offline

So is 'Lesley Stroud' survivorman.
We had some of the shows in England. But he was just credited as 'survivorman'.

#83273 - 01/19/07 09:31 PM Re: Les Stroud Urban Survival on 1-17-07
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Does this decription match:

Survival expert Les Stroud demonstrates how to survive in a house, a stranded car and an office building when dangerous rising water suddenly traps you. From finding fresh water to caring for wounds, learn how to get through a devastating flood alive.

If so, then the next showings are:

Jan 21, 2007 3pm
Jan 31, 2007 2pm
Jan 31, 2007 5pm

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 409 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.