The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83173 - 01/18/07 07:49 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I think Otzi would have a lot to teach us. He seemed to have his every day survival down pat. It appears his last attempt was to drop everything he could replace and just keep his EDC (belt w/ pouch) and his birch container carrying his ember. If he was not slain he would have probably had no problem crossing the mountains.
I find stories about Otzi and Ishi to be very educational. They both were capable of surviving the "stone age" even though Ishi lived much more recently.

I now get that you were joking about Otzi; yes dead people are not great survival instructors unless the dead can talk. Then they could tell us what they did wrong or what they could not overcome.

#83174 - 01/18/07 08:53 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Otzi would have had a metal knife off you so fast.......

His gear was state of the art in his day. And I for one will take any edge (pun intentional) that I can get.

Put me up against some one (not Ray Mears!) who thinks that we should be using "primitive." Three guess's as to what happens next......

#83175 - 01/20/07 01:33 AM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Using primitive techniques and knowing how are different things.
Yes I would rather have a Bic lighter but knowing how to start a fire by friction is a great fallback to have.
So many skills have been lost in just a few generatons, don't mock the primitive. Your state of the art designer metal knife is a child of Otzi's flint tools.

#83176 - 01/22/07 01:12 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
> Plastic buckle makes security a bit easier.

It also tends to break. It happened to an Eagle Creek belt I owned, and I've seen other people mention the problem online.

#83177 - 01/22/07 04:00 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
In the context of the belt (i.e. the original link posted and response of mine) I posted it simply because I prefer a nice leather belt (and it does look pretty nice IMO) to some chincy looking plastic belt with woven fabric.

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#83178 - 01/22/07 04:31 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Just do a google search for "web money belt," or "leather money belt," and you will find more belts with hidden zippered compartments than you can shake a stick at. Keep in mind that most of these are pants belts, so I'm not sure how much stuff, other than paper money, you can stuff in one...

#83179 - 01/22/07 05:29 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

This one might be closer to what I think you are looking for...

#83180 - 01/28/07 01:01 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The belt capacity varies a bit. I found with the Eagle Creek one I could get in a 1L zip lock bag and some water treatment pills. My current belt is slightly narrower (by about a millimetre) and won't take the bag but will take the pills.

My current belt also has a short length of ferro rod, a half-length of hacksaw blade, and some tinder card that will take a spark. It has some safety pins and paper clips and some rubber bands. This is in addition to some paper money.

The hacksaw blade was full length, but eventually it snapped. Which is a shame as I live in an urban environment and want to be able to cut through metal in extremis. (I was also going to use it to cut my own ankle off, if ever I found myself in real extremis. I've see the Jigsaw movies.) A scalpel blade would fit, but I don't have the bottle to carry something as dangerous as that in my belt.

Basically I am currently a big believer in using money belts for every-day carry of survival items. Just having water treatment and fire-making is a boon.

#83181 - 01/28/07 03:26 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...some water treatment pills..."

You might want to keep in mind that, once the bottle is opened, the effective life of most, if not all, water treatement pills is shortened greatly...

#83182 - 01/28/07 03:34 PM Re: Belt Pro Survival Kit
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
A scalpel blade would fit, but I don't have the bottle to carry something as dangerous as that in my belt.

If you tape the scalpel-blade to the hacksaw-blade, or a small piece of credit-card, it can't penetrate (sp??) the belt.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.