Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#82483 - 01/11/07 02:47 AM Re: Generation III ECWCS
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I work around full-time National Guard guys that wear ACU's every day. They never complain, but I know they can get hot in a hurry, because they shed the shirt (which has a zipper) alot.

#82485 - 01/11/07 03:13 AM Re: Generation III ECWCS
Simon Offline

"The bottom pockets on the jacket were removed and placed on the shoulder sleeves so Soldiers can have access to them while wearing body armor."

Remember Izzy, changes in functionality were made to improve the soldier's ability to perform in COMBAT, and all changes were made for a reason.

#82487 - 01/11/07 04:27 AM Re: Generation III ECWCS
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I have a few GeN-1 gortex jackets and pants and wouldn't trade them for the world.
Sure the "name brand" stuff may be slightly better but for $30 or LESS shipped for near new items I think they are the BEST bang for the buck!!

#82488 - 01/11/07 04:48 AM Re: Generation III ECWCS
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I did some digging (while laughing my way thru "Armed and Famous," what a hoot), and in the Jan 2007 issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine I re-found one of the articles I had read before. It is part of a statement made by a US Army sniper re the mis-deployment of snipers in the sandbox, and their equipment. Re the ACU's he said "...The ACU's are garbage (unless you work in an office). They do not help you blend with any kiind of terrain or urban setting, the Velcro has to be one of the worst ideas in U.S. Military history. The pockets are still coming open on their own, the arm pockets still snag on things and let out that gut-wrenching r-r-rip when then come open, magazines don't fit into the magazine pouches on the leg and a broken down MRE will not fit in the leg pouch. I'd like to have a few words with the f*ing REMF that decided that we should have them (you have to wonder who is making money on it)..."

#82489 - 01/11/07 01:17 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
...The military stuff is usually built too heavily for my liking (personal preference)...

Good point, OldSoldier (thank you for your service, by the way). I feel the same way. There's plenty of military designs that work well but they weigh 2x to 3x as much as the comparable civilian gear. I realize that sometimes you need that level of durability, but usually the military stuff is so heavy because 1) no one pushed the mfgr to engineer a capable but lighter design and 2) too many GI Joes (God love 'em!) treat their gear like hated mules instead of applying a little care. Also, some military designs are extra heavy and NOT more durable!

If weight (and bulk) is not an issue then a $30 gen 1 ECWCS setup is fantastic but IMO the civilian stuff is a better choice if you are bearing the weight on your own 2 legs.

Note that a lot of the current civilian gear is available in earth tone colors if that is a factor for you.

#82490 - 01/11/07 03:01 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
Simon Offline

Sounds like something that a sniper would say.... LOL

The "REMFs" actually put the ACUs thru alot of real field testing by Stryker Brigade Soldiers in Iraq and got alot of feedback and made appropriate changes before they actually started issuing them as standard.

Here's one link:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/acu.htm

#82491 - 01/11/07 03:34 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
While I'm not a mountain climber or a soldier, I'd like to add my 2 cents to this. Further, I'd like to supplement the previous posters positive remarks regarding wool. I personally wear wool relatively frequently. More specifically I am a skirmisher. This is slightly different from civil war reenacting in that it's a competitive shooting environment. You can read details on it here since I don't feel like explaining it: http://www.n-ssa.org

That being said, we have to wear wool. We wear it in summer. We wear it in winter. We wear it year round. At least my team does. Certain teams make due with 'dickies' since they kind of LOOK like blue wool pants.

That being said, be it a stupidly hot and sticky virginia summer or a "so cold the caps cut your fingers and you don't bleed till days later" virginia winter day I have found over the years that I actually enjoy getting into the wool. This is because I know what's coming. I know that I'm going to be comfortable in any situation.

I know you're thinking.. wool.. on bare skin.. COMFORTABLE? But seriously. It only itches for about 2 minutes. Then... no more itchy! Only comfort. In summer your sweat provides a wicking of the cool air around you and cools you off dramatically. In winter, you find yourself insulated against even the harshest elements. I've literally gone out in a standard confederate "b-class" uniform of wool pants, wool shirt, wool coat with only my underwear and some pajamas underneath in 10 deg f weather and been comfortable enough to shoot for hours. Rain, wind, sleet, snow, 110 degree heat.... I've shot in ALL of it and I really think that's only been possible because of the excellent qualities of wool as a fabric.

I am a believer that wool, despite it's weight and itchiness has serious benefits that I'm yet to see out of a commercial fabric and enjoy it's use thoroughly.

/rant
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#82492 - 01/11/07 03:39 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Izzy,

Do you have link to the Champ9 line or retailer? I went to the Champion Home page, but I am unable to locate the product line.

Thanks-
Pete

#82493 - 01/11/07 03:58 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Interesting. I kind of forgot (in addition to what I had for breakfast) that I wore wool uniform pants for 30years. Wool gaberdine instead of the rough fuzzy stuff, but still wool. In the 100+ temps of the San Joaquin Valley of CA in the summer too. Didn't really notice being any hotter in them than a pair of Levis...

#82494 - 01/11/07 04:08 PM Re: Generation III ECWCS
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Interesting info, thanks. I don't really understand this part tho...
"...not having to take uniforms to the cleaners..."

I never thought that BDU's (or fatigues from my era) had to go to the cleaners. They could of course, but I just learned how to use the washer/dryer and iron. Guess the new guys don't have to be ironed, which would be nice...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 440 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.