Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#817 - 06/18/01 08:34 PM Photon II knockoff
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Two part post.<br><br>1. FYI, I was passing through the Wisconsin Dells, WI, this weekend and discovered a Photon II type knockoff from China (I know the real thing is made in the USA). It was from a company called Flash Microtech and they were advertised as a rave partty light you can hang on a chain around your neck while dancing. They were selling them for $7. I didn't buy any but it seemed to me that the LED wasn't really focused. I suspect a lower quality LED is responsible. Aside from one's preference for made in the U.S.A. items, are these knckoffs legal or are they counterfit products?<br><br>2. Doug's personal kit includes a Photon II with a white LED. The white uses much more battery juice than a red LED does. Is there a good reason for white over other colors? (I know red is good for maintaining night vision, but I'm not a pilot where that's absolutely critical).<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#818 - 06/18/01 11:23 PM Re: Photon II knockoff
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Politics aside, Chicom products are often inferior.Copying products and outright counterfeiting is rampant in everything from aircraft parts to medications.A quick giveaway are terms like 'military type' or 'style' in the surplus/camping catalogs,or subtle changes in spelling,ie. foton instead of photon. True G.I. issue will either state G.I. issue for used or unissued and MILSPEC for the same item produced for,but not purchased by the government.I always ask for nation of manufacture first. If i don't get a satisfactory answer I shop elsewhere.It took several blunders to convince me of finding reputable dealers.I don't even price compare anymore. I can't make fire with the spare change saved.<br><br>

#819 - 06/18/01 11:29 PM Re: Photon II knockoff
Anonymous
Unregistered

you probably already know this but night vision should be preserved if possible, especially in a survival situation. Once lost it takes about thirty minutes to regain. Unless heavy clouds prevail, I can see well enough at night to avoid a nasty fall and injury.<br><br>Which brings up another piece of equipment we should all have in our main kits. Non tinted safety glasses. As previously mentioned I can get around pretty well with only natural night vision. But the possibility of a twig poking me in the eye is still too great. Can you imagine the trauma involved with an eye injury when you are having to be totally self reliant? I think this is a valid concern and worthy of more thought. We can not be certain that we will not have to travel at night without the luxury of artificial light.<br><br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#820 - 06/19/01 01:04 PM Safety Glasses was Re: Photon II knockoff
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>Non tinted safety glasses<br><br>This reminds me of another question I meant to ask a while ago (but forgot). One of the Hazards of winter survival is "white out," a temporary blindness caused by the glare of sunlight off of the white snow. Yet I see no mention of eye protection for this ailment anywhere.<br><br>I remember getting some thin, cheesy film sunglasses when I'd visit the ophthalmologist and get my eyes dilated. These would fold up easily and lie flat in a kit. Has anyone seen these around? I don't recall seeing them for a long, long time.<br><br>Another solution is to fashion eye protection from some material, cutting thin, horizontal slots for viewing. Sounds reasonable, but what material would one use in a survival situation. What would you use?<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#821 - 06/19/01 08:34 PM Safety Glasses was Re: Photon II knockoff
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

An expediant measure is to daube your lower eyelids and cheeks with a dark paste such as mud or charcoal from a cold fire. The Inuits made their glasses from thin ivory.They used their parka ruffs for peripheral protection.Look at a pair of glacier or mountaineering glasses in the camping catalogs. They all have side and noseguards. You can encounter the same hazard in the classic sand dune type deserts and on beaches. I experienced snow blindness in American Samoa after a full tour in Alaska! Imagine throwing wet sand in your eyes and having the worst headache you can remember. Snow blindness is ultraviolet burning of the cornea. First aid is as follows;clear the eye(s) of any possible debri and patch. The eye will regenerate in 24-48 hours.You should check at least after 24 hours for signs of pus or infection. If present you should revert to sunglasses, pain medication as appropriate. You can improvise Inuit glasses from almost anything. I just made a pair from the cardboard box for my candles and some paracord just to remember. Several of the surplus companies are selling classic snow goggles.These are rubber cupped individual round lens tied to the head with flat string.they come in a small can.You could improvise glasses from thin bark such as a birch tree or even precut a pair from a plastic container.<br><br>

#822 - 06/27/01 07:13 PM White-light Photon
Anonymous
Unregistered

The second part of your post (why the white-light Photon II?) didn't get much discussion, so I'll throw my comment in. I believe that choice was made because it gives so much light output for the size. The battery consumption is the obvious trade-off, but it is still respectable at about 12 hours followed by a lengthy period of lower illumination. The other colors are great for many uses, but their beams just don't have the same reach, which would be useful for signalling, lighting the ground ahead while walking, and other tasks that are not close-up. I have one myself and I love it.<br><br>Now with the introduction of the Photon III, you can "have it all" with the bright white LED or lower output levels that can extend battery life and would also be less damaging to night-vision for close-up uses. It's also water resistant. (no, I'm not affiliated with LRI). <br><br>

#823 - 06/27/01 08:08 PM Re: White-light Photon
billvann Offline
Old Hand

>>>which would be useful for signalling<br><br>That makes sense :-)<br><br>Regarding battery life, what's the expected life of batteries in a Photon sealed in a kit unused? (How often should they be replaced as part of a routine maintenance?)<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#824 - 06/28/01 12:47 PM lithium batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Photons use lithium batteries. Among other benefits, lithium batteries store very well. Manufacturers usually quote a 10-year shelf life, which I think means something like they have 90% of their original power after 10 years. Doug recommends a conservative rotation schedule that I think is about 4 years. Personally, I would be comfortable going out to the 10 years (based on my individual needs and risk tolerance).<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.