Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82223 - 01/07/07 02:26 AM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
A square ended shovel, bucket and gravel and you will also comply with "Colorado's Chain Law" when it is effect.

Ask someone who feeds stock to save you the synthetic 50# feed bags. Place what ever you need as far back in the vehicle as possible.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#82224 - 01/07/07 02:29 AM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Roofing shingles have worked for me as emergency "traction mats" when stuck. Drove right out over them.

#82225 - 01/08/07 04:28 AM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
ducttape Offline

I'm a fan of multi-tasker items, so I use my car mats. They don't take up any extra space nor are they an additional cost.

#82226 - 01/08/07 07:58 AM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Has anyone actually USED their car mats to get out of snow? My sister tried it, and she said the mats were just zinged out from under the wheels.

If you've done it, what's the trick?

Sue

#82227 - 01/08/07 09:12 AM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I would imagine that the effectiveness of the car mat depends greatly on the condition of the snow and the type of car mat. For example if the snow were packed, but not completely solid, the rubber traction tips / points / pokey things on the bottom side of many car mats should dig in and provide some traction. I have not tested floor mats in snow myself, but I have used regular house carpet while stuck in mud and it helped a little.

#82228 - 01/08/07 02:15 PM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
halogen Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I have freed my Jeep from the snow many times by placing tree branches and what not under the tires. In addition I have been off-roading with several trucks who carry a much larger version of the traction pads for use in mud and snow. The down side would be that 1) you have to carry them with you 2) you have to get out of your car to use them. Often times, I have found, that once you get stuck in the snow, you want to try and keep your momentum up to avoid becoming stuck again. More specifically if you stop to retrieve your traction mats, you may not be able to get going again without using the mats again.

On one of Ray Mear's shows in the desert, he tied the "sand ladders" (or whatever they were called) to the vehical when getting out of soft sand, so they would be dragged behind and he could wait for a convenient spot to stop and pick them up.

No idea if this approach would be useful on snow.

eeph

#82229 - 01/08/07 03:11 PM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
Dragonscript Offline

http://www.portabletowtruck.com/

I have a set of these and tend to work on icy roads, which is the only situation i have used them in.

Usally, i just dig out the tires and wedge the shovel under the back tires to use as traction.

#82230 - 01/08/07 04:15 PM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
ducttape Offline

It does vary on the type of snow/ice.

During the winter, I put WeatherTech rubber mats on top of the carpeted factory mats. Usually I just use the rubber mats, but once I used the carpeted one with the carpet side on the snow. The carpet side helped grip the snow.

I don't think the really thin aftermarket vinyl mats would work, not enough "weight" and lack of nubs/spikes for traction.

#82231 - 01/08/07 05:41 PM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not a snow person, I try to avoid the dreaded white stuff if at all possible (but I do carry chains year around, just in case). But, I have been stuck in sand and mud, and have used cool cushions (anyone remember them, they seem to be gone from most stores) for traction. In my experience, if what you put under the wheels for traction zings out, you have given the engine too much gas. Most people tend to do that, floorboard the throttle, thereby digging themselves in deeper. A light touch on the throttle is the way to go.

The heartache I have with traction mats is that, assuming that you want to keep them, you have to stop and go back for them, often getting stuck again in the process. Once I get going I like to keep going...

#82232 - 01/08/07 05:47 PM Re: Unsticking your car from snow: Traction mats?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...On one of Ray Mear's shows in the desert, he tied the "sand ladders" (or whatever they were called) to the vehical when getting out of soft sand, so they would be dragged behind and he could wait for a convenient spot to stop and pick them up.

No idea if this approach would be useful on snow..."

I have thought of that myself, and the only problem I see with it is front wheel drive, which many of todays vehicles have. That could require some perfectly placed ropes or whatever, to allow the "mat" to free the front wheels, but not go far enough back to tangle with the rear wheels...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.