Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81806 - 01/03/07 05:32 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
What I'd really like to do is get some more transpiration bags in there, as one isn't really enough. I'd like an AMK bivy, but really don't see any way that will fit. Hm. I'll have to get one and see how big it is. If I can swap things around, and vacuum pack the transpiration bag, maybe it'll fit.

#81807 - 01/03/07 05:48 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

I'll check into the RS screwdriver. I like the Husky unit since the bits fit in the handle, but could probably do without, or maybe combine with the eyeglass kit.

I agree I tend to be tool heavy. The Surge is a new addition I'm trying, but could probably remove the Micra. I could probably ditch the extra saber saw blade, and the abrasive recip saw blade, but the recip saw blades pack in the very bottom and take almost no room. Same with the tent pegs. They go on the very bottom, and only take maybe 1/8" of height. Things that take substantial depth are a problem. I was keeping the wire saw so I'd have something I could attach paracord to and throw over a limb, but that could go.

I don't really like the plastic container that the tinders are in - it's just awkward. Also, I think the potable aqua bottles will go and be replaced with clorine dioxide tabs, which will fit in the back pocket.

What I'd like to have are 3-4 transpiration bags, and those definitely won't fit. I'm thinking about getting a vacuum packer, which should help. Odds are I'll keep both the heatsheet and sleeping bag. My thinking is if I had to build a debris shelter, the bag would go in the center and the heatsheet on top. Or maybe use the heat sheet as a fire reflector, or some such. I think it just adds flexibility to have both.

I just added the orange safety vest, just to have a larger passive signal. I watched one of the discovery channel shows about the guy and his kid skiing at a resort in Turkey and getting lost, thinking that he had no passive signal that could be left out. It occurred to me that a debris shelter would make really good camoflauge, not what I'd want in an emergency. I have the surveyors tape, but that's awfully small.

#81808 - 01/03/07 05:58 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

In all fairness, the tools are a sop to being urban, while I'd expect everything else to be wilderness. The two instances I'd expect to be using this would be while I'm out on a car trip and either breaking down in the summer or getting snowed in somewhere unexpectedly. There are certain limited instances where I might be away from the truck and have something stupid happen. In the truck I have a 72hr kit for amateur radio deployments, including food, a small amount of water and a jetboil.

I can defintely add wire, but there's no real place to put food. Maybe some chicken broth cubes, using the aluminum foil as a cup.

I could ditch the tent pegs, but since they go all the way on the bottom of the main pocket, they really don't take up any practical space. I've tried adding a pouch to the front, but really don't like the way it fits. I can add more 550 cord, but will have to fit it so it doesn't snag. The signal mirror is a standard for all of Doug's kit requirements, so I stuck one in there.

#81809 - 01/03/07 06:33 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
A signal mirror is also a first aid item. I have used mine when I cut my face on a branch while hiking alone. It allowed me to evaluate the wound and treat it. Might also be useful for those who wear contacts. They always seem to be looking into a mirror and poking around in their eyes.

#81810 - 01/03/07 07:16 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Would adding a canteen pouch with a GI 1 qt canteen, cup and stove make your pack too heavy or unbalanced? How about one on each side for balance? Then you have something to boil water or cook with and you can have one canteen of clean water while one is being treated, if it comes to that.

#81811 - 01/03/07 11:32 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Ow, and also some safety-pins, a small candle and a sewing-kit.

You could also vacuum-pack the bivvy and remove the space-bag. Hopefully this will give you enough room.
If not, I would remove the orange vest, since you also have a reflective band.

Are those transpiration-bags really worth the space they take in and do you really need more than 1 of them? (just a question)

Edited by JIM (01/03/07 11:51 AM)

#81812 - 01/03/07 03:28 PM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would keep the reciprocating saw blades, it was the triple redundancy I was thinking of. A kit this size is a "grams matter" kind of thing.

As for the wire saw, the reason why I was thinking it might not be worth the bulk is that many of them kink and snap VERY easily. Try this technique before you need it. Also, were you planning on standing under the branch while you sawed through it?

You can get small zipper bags from the hardware store or walmart- re-enforce them with duct or book tape, and they are great for storing things.

The reason I was asking about the mylar bag and the heatsheet is because they are both a little bit bulky- pulling one would give you space for a small first aid module.

Is the keychain your EDC? I thought it was, that is why I didn't comment on the micra.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#81813 - 01/03/07 08:54 PM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
bassnbear Offline

Loc: Southeast US
I agree with "aloha" on the canteen, cup, and stove (with a few trioxane bars or fuel tabs). You might look into trading the "bottled" water preification tabs for some Katadyn MP-1 Purification tabs. They have one of the best reputations on the market right now for purifying water the best and they come in a flat blister pack that makes for easy packing. I put mine in a heavy duty Ziplock Freezer bag (qt. size) just to ensure they will be ok when I need them.

#81814 - 01/04/07 03:13 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha bassnbear,

Great minds think alike huh?

I was thinking that with two canteens and their pouches, one of the side pouches can hold some redundant water purification and the other one some tinder and/or fuel. I also store my MP-1 tablets in a bag, but I use an Aloksak as it is rugged and can also serve as a back up water carrier.

When I am out, I carry the MP-1 tablets and either a Miox or a bottle of iodine crystals. I will have two out of the three types of chemical purification means. And then of course, there is boiling with the canteen cup or a cup that fits on the end of a nalgene bottle.

#81815 - 01/04/07 04:40 AM Re: Maxpedition Proteus based kit
beadles Offline

It's interesting in that I haven't found weight to be a problem. I am defintely bulk limited, and the wire saw is bulky. Still, I have tried the wire saw, and found it to be very agressive about cutting even green wood. I'm thinking about trees like the oak trees in my yard, that have branches under the canopy that die out, but are too high to reach. You're right, I should actually try to do it. I should be able to stand off to the side to do the cut, and I have pruned them before, so I'm familiar with how the branches fall.

I think I have room in the left side pocket for a small FAK without dropping the the sack. The keyrings isn't an EDC per se - I don't really feel like carrying one everywhere, so I stashed keyrings like that where ever I am. There's one in the truck, one in that kit, one in my work backpack and one in my ham admin bag. The micra was there before I put the surge in, but now that I have the surge I wonder if the micra can go away.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.