Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8157 - 08/12/02 02:28 PM bike
Anonymous
Unregistered

does any one mountain bike here what type of bikes do u have i had a white full suspenchen 21 gear steel frame but it got stolen yester day

#8158 - 08/12/02 05:49 PM Re: bike
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
If you try out a decent aluminum frame bike you'll be amazed - there is that much performance difference from the weight reduction and by almost any measure the non-department store aluminum frame bikes are stronger frames than the chromolloy steel frames.<br><br>We just have moderately priced bikes: A couple Giant XTC2 and the rest Gary Fisher Big Sur. We have a couple of nice, fairly recent chromolloy framed bikes as loaners, but they are not our personal rides anymore.<br><br>We've avoided full-suspension bikes as they are more difficult to ascend with than a hard tail. Racing downhill is not part of alternate travel plans for us... but mountain bikes are. Just my opinion, and I've seen a FEW folks who can climb pretty well with soft tails.<br><br>You can usually dicker a pretty good deal on a new last year's model (or even 2 years ago model) at a decent bike shop. The honest guys will tell you how much they have in a bike before they offer you the deal in those cases - they deserve to make some profit, but let them propose a price. Sometimes the best deal is to combine a decent price on the bike with some deeply discounted accessories tossed in for an over all package price that is a very good deal - depends on if you need/can afford the whole package.<br><br>Be sure to get it sized right, too. Most folks get too large a frame for bonafide off-pavement bikes.<br><br>How that helps!<br><br>Tom

Edited by AyersTG (08/12/02 07:59 PM)

#8159 - 08/13/02 08:22 AM Re: bike
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a lighter note, I had a small kid's bicycle that went missing in a mountain resort. So I guess it is a mountain bike? :-)

#8160 - 08/17/02 04:19 AM Re: bike
dt101010 Offline

Loc: Monroe, LA
Tom's right about the light aluminum alloys, I had an old Royce Union MB and it was a good bike, then i picked up a Raleigh M50 and the light frame makes a world of difference. (It was like going from 40+lbs to 24lbs)<br>I wasn't looking for a $4k high end ride, but the M50 had pretty good hardware and front suspension. I'm not doing much downhill in Louisiana so the hardtail was my best choice. Of course I may make a few mods to the hardware before I head off for the cross country ride.<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>David

#8161 - 08/17/02 05:50 PM Re: bike
Anonymous
Unregistered

What i find useful is to buy a spare set of wheels and put some slick tyres on one set and some knobbly tyres on the other wheels with quick release levers so you can use the bike for both road and off-road withe the upmost of ease!!!!<br>Just one of my ideas!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.