Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#81086 - 12/22/06 02:29 AM Heavy duty 'wire ties'/cable ties/zip ties
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Found and interesting and usually free source for heavy duty cable ties (or whatever you call them).....If you have ever noticed, you can 'cut' a cable tie and still have a smaller (but still usable) tie......Well I noticed that a lot of gas stations in my area use very heavey duty ties to hold up those signs....the ones that usually advertise a limited time special deal on XXX brand of (soda/smokes etc.) Well I have spoken to some managers at these stations and when the signs need to come down, they usually cut the signs off the ties but leave the ties intact around the pole. Unfortunately for them, they can't reuse them and end up cutting the ties when they need to put up new signs. They have had no problem with me cutting the ties when they have cut the signs down. This usually get me 2 very usable (and approximately 2ft long) heavy duty cable ties. You might be able to get some for yourself if you ask nicely......they are real handy and as anyone from law enforcement knows.....make great emergency handcuffs.....(Law enforcement has very similar things called 'flex cuffs'). Hope this can be of use to someone.

#81087 - 12/22/06 12:32 PM Re: Heavy duty 'wire ties'/cable ties/zip ties
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A small screwdriver or pinted knife blade can be pushed into the latch to release it and reuse those easily without the need for cutting. The larger ones are pretty easy to do.

#81088 - 12/22/06 04:19 PM Re: Heavy duty 'wire ties'/cable ties/zip ties
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
Free is great, but would UV exposure significantly (and unevenly, depending on where the sun/shade was at the gas station) weaken them? Although I suppose you could use the free cable ties for less critical bindings. I'd hate to see a shelter or emergency pack repair come apart at the wrong time.

#81089 - 12/25/06 05:50 PM Re: Heavy duty 'wire ties'/cable ties/zip ties
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
In regards to them being weakened by UV exposure.....I've not noticed much 'degredation' of any kind....true there may be some but....I wouldn't hesitate to use these for shelter building or pack repair. I keep them in the car too for use as a band clamp on hoses. The only thing I'd have concerns over using them for would be suspending my (or any persons) weight. When I cut them down it took quite alot of force to do so.

#81090 - 12/25/06 09:54 PM Re: Heavy duty 'wire ties'/cable ties/zip ties
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are outdoor kind which are UV treated much like the outdoor electrical conduit or plastics in your car I would imagine the ones holding up signs would be outdoor type.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 431 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.