Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#80483 - 12/16/06 12:53 PM New way of treating water
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
"Glenn Austin ripped open a credit-card-sized packet and dumped its contents into a flask of muddy water. As he swirled the concoction, dirt and debris began to clump and settle to the bottom. Within a few minutes, the water was clear."
Taking on Third World water article

#80484 - 12/16/06 01:05 PM Re: New way of treating water
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
It's new packaging of a purification method that has been around several years. There were news reports of WHO using it during the big Tsunami of 2004.

#80485 - 12/16/06 01:42 PM Re: New way of treating water
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I wonder what is in that packet?

One problem is that to do it you need that stuff, whatever it is. Traditional methods are usually always available.

#80486 - 12/16/06 04:38 PM Re: New way of treating water
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Where does one buy the stuff? Got a brand name or anything???

#80487 - 12/18/06 04:48 AM Re: New way of treating water
WalkingSavage Offline
Stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I belive that PUR makes this product. I looked around to see where to buy it but came up empty. If anyone knows where to get some I would greatly appreciate it.

John

#80488 - 12/18/06 04:56 AM Re: New way of treating water
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It is a flocculant, and very commonly used in sewage treatment facilities.

Since the project I am on is recyling waste water into potable water to replenish the depleted reservoirs here, I am finding that there are things in the water that you really want to filter and/or destroy. There's an awful lot of treated sewage runoff even from contremporary sewage treatment plants entering our freshwater system, not to mention what's already in the reservoirs, and microfiltration/ionization is probably the most effective treatment method. In fact, to turn sewage water (or any open source water for that matter)into drinkable water again, you have to remove microbials, a whole host of organic and inorganic contaminants, including endochrine products like hormones, then add back chemicals to prohibt microbial re-growth, then store in containers that the water won't react with.

Flocculation does nothing to purify the water, it only removes suspended solids. Our current process includes a flocculation system, then a microfilter, then a three pass reverse osmosis system, chemical precipitation/extraction (to remove inorganics in solution and miscible VOCs), UV irradiation, Ion Exchange to further reduce the mineral load, then Sodium Hypochlorite for short term storage before transport. The plant will produce 100 mega liters per day maximum, and will cost around $300 million to build. It has to be completed and operating by the end of 2008 to augment the supply from the reservoirs or else the government here will have to implement overland transport from somehwere else then. The funny thing is the water our plant will produce is ten times purer than what is coming out of the reservoir now. Much of Australia is in the worst drought they've had in a thousand years, and the reservoirs are below 25% of their normal levels for this time of year. It is no longer a question of if they will run out of water, but when.

Bear in mind, too, that the supply of water from the reservoirs is also treated and processed considerably. It may not smell, taste or look pristine, but it will remain safe for consumption until they run out altogether.

#80489 - 12/18/06 05:28 AM Re: New way of treating water
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Flocculation does nothing to purify the water, it only removes suspended solids..."

Heck, I can do that with a coffee filter. Guess I will pass. Thanks for the info.

Years ago the Navy built a new air station in central California, with a super sewage system, it was going to put pure water into the nearby river. Yeah, right. In no time at all they had plain old sewage ponds all over the place. Guess it didn't work as advertised...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.