The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#8029 - 08/20/02 12:05 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
John,<br><br>Pretty much two places to lube - the pivots for the operating rod / forearm / piston and the piston/cylinder itself. "Gun Oil" OK for the pivot points; you might want to use something elsse on the piston OR go ahead and use light oil there as well - no dieseling effect with a pump-up. A little oil on the bolt and the o-ring as well, I suppose.<br><br>If you look closely, there is a place on the receiver to attach a receiver (peep) sight. Sheridan used to sell one that fit - I don't imagine it was unique, tho. No easy fix on the front sight - keep it blackened.<br><br>I never had an owner's manual, either - let me know if you find one.<br><br>The original pellets weigh about 15 grains IIRC, so if you cannot find them, check Beeman's for 5mm pellets - they have one that is heavy enough. I've never shot anything but the original style in mine up to now.<br><br>Meanwhile, check out spring-power air rifles - they range from inexpensive to outrageous. These are NOT the Daisy Red Rider one grew up with...<br><br>Have fun!<br><br>Tom<br><br>

#8030 - 08/20/02 12:15 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Putting <br><< ... they're all MY toys >> <br> with<br><< none of the computers here are anywhere near a long line-of-sight >><br><br>yields the conclusion that a new laptop could be in your future... gee, just think of all the money you're going to save on fuel and ammo, not to mention wear and tear on the automobile and barrels... why, it would pay for itself in just a few weeks... (just trying to help stimulate the creative thinking here)<br><br>Do any of your area police departments use Beamhit? I've only seen it, not used it personally. If you can talk to a live user - or better, try it out yourself for a bit...<br><br>Tom

#8031 - 08/20/02 12:38 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I mentioned before, when a survival + foot travel scenario was brought up on another forum with the question of which airgun would be recommended, by far the most responses were for the Benjamin Sheridan with the "Steroid" customization.<br><br>There are also care and useage tips on the same page (sorry, I couldn't find it eariler).<br><br>http://www.mac1airgun.com/steriodags.html<br>

#8032 - 08/21/02 12:15 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Interesting link - it lead me to some others, as well. Thanks.<br><br>What "other forum", if you don't mind sharing? (PM is fine) I'd like to read the airgun discussion.

#8033 - 08/21/02 12:41 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Do any of your area police departments use Beamhit? I've only seen it, not used it personally. If you can talk to a live user - or better, try it out yourself for a bit...<<<br><br>Woudln't know, no contacts in that area- just speculation, but I'd suppose departments would be a little slow to adopt something like this. They typically already have some investment in ranges, and the cost of this system is not trivial. Were I in law enforcement, I think I'd be interested personally- but I still see armored-car guards with flap holsters and nickel-plated pawnshop revolvers. No accounting for priorities.<br><br>I almost bought one of the first Beamhit units, years ago- I actually sent a check, which was returned. The company quit carrying them... I still don't know why, but it did give me pause.

#8034 - 08/21/02 12:57 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>What "other forum", if you don't mind sharing? (PM is fine) I'd like to read the airgun discussion<<<br><br>No reason to keep it private that I'm aware of. I'm virtually certain that the conversation I remember was on this one:<br><br>http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/79537<br><br>(you have to scroll down quite some distance to get to the conversations)<br><br>but I also spent some time checking out this one:<br><br>(same sponsor)<br><br>http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/113813<br><br>and this is the page that links both, and has other useful links besides:<br><br>http://www.airgunforum.com/<br><br>I learned a lot by lurking and reading on these fori, haven't been on in awhile.... but do be forewarned that the tone is often not nearly as polite as it is here. Each has their little "in" clique, and it's not hard to attract flames. Voicing any opinion contrary to their running consensus will do that nicely.<br><br>Not many places on-line are as polite as this forum, actually.

#8035 - 08/21/02 02:23 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

<< no contacts in that area >><br><br>I'll ask around. I have military contacts, but I'm inclined to think of law enforcement types having more similar "needs". I'll let you know if I have any luck.

#8036 - 08/21/02 06:50 AM Re: New at this, dumb questions I am sure!
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Tom, PL,<br><br>Thank you very much for the info. The leads from the Mac1 links are great. <br><br>I guess I'll use Breakfree CLP on the pivot points. Is it safe use it on the piston & O-ring?<br><br>IIRC, the Wms peep was a little basic. But if it fits, Wms probably makes a little more sophisticated model that can also fit! DUH! Thanks for stimulating the grey matter guys. Maybe it's time to get a new Wms catalog.<br><br>I'm pretty sure I still have the owner's manual. I'll let you know if I can ever find it.<br><br>I still have a lot of the older Sheridan 5mm pellets. I went shooting today. I checked my gun club's list of available supplies. One distributor lists for Benjamin Sheridan the std. peep sight & 5mm pellets, but they did not describe them. We'll see when I run out of my original pellets.<br><br>I guess it's time to start looking at modern air guns too.<br><br>Again, thanks a lot guys,<br><br>John

#8037 - 08/30/02 02:17 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW, I just recieved the CZ-163 last night, and so far (after a dozen or so rounds) I'm impressed.<br><br>It's full sized- I'm a big guy, and the pull is long enough to be comfortable for me, a lot longer than many service rifles. I'ts not heavy, but hefty enough to be steady. Sight is hooded-post front and fully adjustable rear, nice picture, not the finest adjusters I've used but not primitive either (much better, say, than the sights on a 10/22). There are scope grooves milled in the receiver. The trigger is crisp and adjustable down to less than 1 lb. The stock is MUCH nicer in person than one might think from photos- the shape that is not very photogenic looks better in person and feels very good indeed- somewhere between field and target shapes, with a very nice-feeling palm swell. The forestock that looks too deep in photos turns out to balance nicely. The "checkered" panels on the forestock are obviously pressed, and they're really stippled, not checkered- but they are (unlike some specimens I've seen reviewed) even on both sides. The stock is stained beech with an oil finish. Fit and finish is comparable to much more expensive European air rifles that I've handled. Befitting it's origins (if you know the CZ name), the overall "feel" is solid and businesslike, no rattles or wobbles anywhere, and not at all cheap or toy-like in any way. If you buy this for one of your kids, beware- you may decide it's too nice for them.<br><br>Other than the stock, the piece is almost all blued steel- the only plastic pieces I've seen (other than seals, of course) are the black triggerguard, buttplate, and the thumb-hook to release the breech. There is an automatic safety, but it's a nice knurled thumb-button at the rear of the receiver- very convenient. Unlocking the action and cocking was very stiff at first, but smoothed out nicely in the first several shots. Shooting it hasn't settled down enough to comment on accuracy yet, but it's reputation is good.<br><br>The only negative so far is that there is more vibration (I wouldn't call it recoil) than I expected for it's power.. and that's not all bad, as it's good practice for hunting/"magnum" power airguns.<br><br>I do wish I had bought this first, before the IZH-61, though that's nice in it's own way. For indoor target practice or plinking, at this very low price, this has to be one of the bargains of the decade. $70 + shipping. I may order one or more for Christmas presents.<br>

#8038 - 08/30/02 02:34 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

That sounds like quite a bargain! What is the advertised velocity?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.