The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#8019 - 08/19/02 08:31 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Sounds like you're set. You're correct - the "clang!" of a high-powered air rifle pellet striking the trap is a bit annoying indoors. I custom made ours to reduce the noise, but it's due for replacement. Intend to tinker with a snail-type decelerator this time.<br><br>Hmmm, gee, I expect that club has a couple of chapters here as well... anyway, out the backdoor at our house is quite legal in my town (not the neighboring one) and quite safe as well, so I get to futz around with field shooting rather more often not. But it's still not as convenient as the indoor option.<br><br>In a previous job I practiced with my target air pistol in my office at lunchtime - door closed, of course. It was only 8 meters, but that was better than nothing. Hmmm - recalling that gives me an idea.<br><br>If/when you get one of those RWS models I'd be very interested to hear your opinion of it.

#8020 - 08/19/02 09:37 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can get close to 20 meters upstairs- from the formal living room, through the formal dining room over the table and under the chandelier, through the French doors, past the wood stove, to an 18-inch wide target area between two windows in the sun room... which is mostly windows. <br><br>Yeah, right. Maybe with the Beamhit- I don't think I'm going to be able to sell the idea with lead pellets.<br><br>I could get 10 meters easily in the garage (it's been extended) from the front to the back, but it's not heated for winter, it would require lighting, there are glass windows in the large garage door, and in this yuppie neighborhood the mere appearance of a person with a gun is (and has been) cause for response by nervous armed gentlemen in a large very noisy helicopter. I could probably do it if I replaced the garage door first, though the noise might still alarm the neighbors. <br><br>Short of either of those options, it's about 25 feet in the basement, and less worry about noise.<br><br>I've talked with several people about various styles of traps, and the consensus so far is that other than ballistic putty or similar, it's VERY hard to avoid fragmentation to the point of disintegration as you approach supersonic. Apparently lead dust becomes a concern. Acute angles just cause smearing, and even those with truck-mud-flap rigs report that the very high-powered air rifles still cause pellet disintegration.<br><br>>>If/when you get one of those RWS models I'd be very interested to hear your opinion of it.<<<br><br>Happy to oblige, but it won't be a very informed opinion, since I've never owned any others in it's class. Perhaps, once I can reciprocate, I can persuade others in the club to let me try theirs.

#8021 - 08/19/02 10:09 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

<< the consensus so far is that other than ballistic putty or similar, it's VERY hard to avoid fragmentation to the point of disintigration as you approach supersonic. Apparently lead dust becomes a concern. Acute angles just cause smearing, and even those with truck-mud-flap rigs report that the very high-powered air rifles still cause pellet disintegration >><br><br>Yup; that's been my experience. And heavier pellets don't fix things - plus they beat the snot out of most commercial traps. Current trap uses acute angles, dampening of the metal (reduces noise) and some baffles - and baffles add a LOT of debris inside the trap (which then needs to be cleaned out more often). As I said, I intend to replace it with an oil-washed decelerator type trap. I haven't calculated my target airflow requirements yet, but the same 12v DC power for the oil pump is going to drive a salvaged muffin fan(s), aspirating thru a HEPA filter.<br><br><< can get close to 20 meters upstairs >><br><br>As for your brilliant approach to the indoor range - Hehe - I have similar contortions to go through for longer-range indoors practice - I gave up and stick to 10 meters, which I can barely get in the walk-out basement without shooting thru more than 2 rooms. Kids who are not shooting at the time, curious dogs, etc. make it impractical to shoot farther indoors.

#8022 - 08/19/02 10:29 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you looked at the Beamhit systems? It's certainly... interesting.<br><br>

#8023 - 08/19/02 11:10 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

", but I'd rather save the lead for later re-use in black powder shooting."<br><br>Im sure someone has mentioned this before, but.... :)<br><br>Carboard boxes full of magazines and newspapers will stop a 44 magnum. I used them when I was a kid for pellet rifle backstops. If you want the lead, I suppose you could burn the box in a barbeque grill or something.<br><br>Just a thought.

#8024 - 08/19/02 11:12 PM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

I didn't realize they made them for air rifles - oh! You mean to use your regular firearms with it - hmmm - interesting - yes, I am familiar with it; no, I never really thought about using it at home. Hmmm... stuck in my paradigm again... Huh. Still need to shoot, I think - especially with kids - funny how that is. But for serious adult use, yeah, that would be a great supplemental marksmanship maintenance tool - good idea.

#8025 - 08/20/02 02:11 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Guys,<br><br>It's been awhile but, I have successfully used alternating layers of terrycloth, 20ga sheetmetal, and cardboard as baffling in my pellet trap. IIRC, it was an approximately 2'x2'x2' pine box with an about a 20"x20" opening in the front. The top lifted off for occassional baffle replacement. It ran cardboard (1" or so), old towels (maybe three inches), sheetmetal, cardboard, old towels, sheetmetal, cardboard, towels, sheetmetal and finally, a few layers of roofing rubber. There was a little room left over in the front, I used scrap lumber as a spacer to hold it all in place. It was easy to tack targets up. I knew it was time to replace baffles when I heard pellets hitting wood (or block...oops).<br><br>I had/have somewhere a Benjamin/Sheridan rifle. I could pump it till my arms were sore and not fully penetrate my trap. I usually stuck to around five pumps though... Few disadvantages: it was heavy, a PITA to change baffling, probably overkill (but, I didn't have to change baffling very often), and I left it in Mississippi a few moves back. Hope this helps.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#8026 - 08/20/02 04:58 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Hi, Andy!<br><br>My Sheridan 5mm is the old style (have to hold down a safety on the back of the receiver with thumb or it will not shoot - like the grip safety on a M1911). One of the questions I asked them way back when I had it overhauled was "How many pumps is max?" and the answer was "8" - I had been pumping it 10 times up until then. Indoors, I normally pump it 5 times. At 8 pumps it zips a pellet clean thru 3/4" plywood at 10 meters - and it's still cooking along... that particular air rifle is especially rough on traps.<br><br>My RWS .177 disintegrates pellets in traps. Less mass; more velocity. It has very good penetration, especially with heavy pellets, but it's not in the same class as the Sheridan

#8027 - 08/20/02 06:49 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
You guys are getting me interested in air guns again.<br><br>My airgun battery is not exactly modern -- late 1960s Sheridan 5 mm pump. Unfortunately I can't find my owner's manual & I don't remember where to lube it & with what? For you Sheridan users, what's appropriate?<br><br>My gun's sights are unduly thin at the front & open in the rear. Any thoughts on metallic improvements?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#8028 - 08/20/02 10:44 AM Re: Emergencies and Firearms
Anonymous
Unregistered

No kids in this household; it probably affects my thinking... they're all MY toys. :-)<br><br>But, yes, if the Beamhit system lives up to it's billing, I think it has a lot of potential. I could actually use that 20m length through the upstairs during the long winter when I'd just as soon not be at the range, without risking windows and furniture. About $250 gets the system with 3 different caliber rods, which means that, unlike practice with an air gun, you can practice with the actual pieces you'll be shooting at the range, longarms and pistols. I never see it mentioned, but I assume cautious people would use snap caps.<br><br>Of course, it can't substitute for live firing... on the other hand, Olympic shooters spend hours just practicing hold, then more hours just dry firing for trigger control. The Beamhit would seem to have the potential to take it one step further, and give you real feedback.<br><br>Too bad none of the computers here are anywhere near a long line-of-sight, but I understand that it performs basic functions on it's own.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.