Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79994 - 12/12/06 11:12 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
If your Bic is getting that hot is getting close to exploding. Do not keep the flame of any butane lighter lit for extended periods they will overheat and explode.

#79995 - 12/12/06 11:13 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I don't know how long they'd last, but I can only think of two types of failures that I've had. The most common is loss of fuel, I dont' know the reason why, either a leak or it accidentally gets pressed in my bag. It doesn't happen a lot, but it's happened a few times.

The other type of failure is leaving it lit too long. The spark wheel heats up and melts the plastic, and the pressure from the flint springs push it out.

They're cheap enough that I would just double them up wherever I need them. The chances of two of them going bad are pretty slim.

#79996 - 12/12/06 11:16 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have never had a Bic malfunction. The cheapo lighters fail all the time but I have never had a problem with a Bic and I use them every day.
My Bics usually light even after almost all of the liquid is gone.
In fact on more than one occaision I have found a Bic sitting in a puddle and I was able to light it right after I dried it out by blowing on it.

But I also carry matches, a sparklight and a fire steel.
I love making fire!

#79997 - 12/12/06 11:37 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Quote:
I have never had a Bic malfunction The cheapo lighters fail all the time but I have never had a problem with a Bic and I use them every day.
My Bics usually light even after almost all of the liquid is gone.

But you do use them every day. Not everyone does. Does that make the ones you use get used quicker, as in they "stay new" in your pocket?

A puddle huh? Interesting.

I have had them malfunction myself. I am not condemning them, I just won't bet my life on them by depending on them alone...

Edited by Simon (12/12/06 11:52 PM)

#79998 - 12/14/06 10:24 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
MY experience is similar to Bee's.

I don't trust matches as much. I've had plenty of match failures, typically due to deterioration. Even some of the newer "strike anywhere's" have such a small white tip, that failure to light is too common.

For Bic lighters, no problems. There were some initial failures due to fuel leakage from inadvertent pressing on the lever while stored in a kit. I cured this by wrapping a thin rubber band around the lighter, passing under the lever. Since then, no leaks. Plus you have an extra rubber band in your PSK. When I go through my kits I always test the lighters. Some of them have to be at least 10 year old. I'll start swapping them out as cheap insurance, but prefer bic to matches.

TR

#79999 - 12/19/06 02:54 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Posting late to this thread but might be of value.
Friend of mine, former smoker, asserted that he'd never had a BIC last more than months. Said they leak out.
I had a stash of BICS still in the package for years all still
full.
So I used one briefly. Then marked the fluid level and left it sit.
Just noticed it the other day. Was 3/4 full on 8/4/06.
Totally empty 12/18/06 (or earlier).

Unless you've checked your lighters recently for fuel level, don't count on them being anything more than a sparker.

Unimogbert

#80000 - 12/19/06 05:16 PM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
This post and its replies are very interesting...

I have one of those catch-all dishes on my dresser. Through the years it's "caught" everything from coins to pens to bic (and other) lighters. Just last week I was cleaning it out. There were two bics in there that were at least four years old. Both fired right up. So did the other lighter, which was one of those colored, see-through, lighters. Who knows how long they'll last?

I have never found a bic in a puddle.... I should probably pay more attention to puddles when I see them. I have found bics lying around elsewhere though, but I generally leave them lay. I think, however, that through the years I have dropped a bic or two in water.... it might as well have been a puddle. When you want a Swisher Sweets wood-tip, there's nothing that makes you want one more than that very moment when your Bic fails. I call it panic... but it often turns to mild anger just before I become desperate.

No matter how much I distrust matches, I just can't bring myself to hate them. I believe I might hate the idea of being in need of fire, realizing my flint methods were lost in the river, finding my bics empty, and kicking myself for leaving my ever-trusty waterproof match container (full of wind/waterproof matches) at home.

Here's some not-so-surprising information: most large Bics are "made in the USA". Most of the smaller ones are "Made in France".

#80001 - 12/20/06 03:27 AM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
The failure mode I've seen 3 times is for the flint to simply disappear. Sounds weird I know, but I've stashed lighters in various places and tested them a few years later -- to find the flint gone. In one case it obviously had turned to powder, the others I don't know. These were kept dry, in a non-climate controlled location like a garage or car glove compartment. So while I carry a lighter and still stash them, I don't trust them, and will rely on waterproof or stormproof matches.

Steve

#80002 - 12/20/06 03:50 AM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
I've had that too, not common but for whatever reason the "flint" just turns to dust, had it happen with zippos too. Don't have a clue why, but it does ocur from time to time.

Makes you wonder about the long term usufullness of a sparklite??

Edited by gunsmith (12/20/06 03:54 AM)

#80003 - 12/20/06 04:21 AM Re: Life expectancy of a BIC ??
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
Also have had spark "misdirection" problems, you try, try, try again to no avail, but often when you try two "dead" lighters together you get a flame.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.