Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#79973 - 12/12/06 04:45 AM Two cars or one
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Many families have two cars. Usually one big one small.

Family is bugging out. The big car can take them all plus some gear and few BOBs. Should they all gather in the big car and leave, or is it better to take BOTH cars ?

#79974 - 12/12/06 04:50 AM Re: Two cars or one
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If they take both then :

- They have taken with them more of their belongings. A car is too expensive to leave behind.

- IF disasster is very bad and return will take some time, they may even sell small car and rent a flat with the money.

- If disaster is a small one and temporary, two cars will offer enough space for sleeping/camping. Two cars with loaded roof tops will make such a bug out trip like a comfortable picnic.

On the negative side for having two cars:

- In a messy bug out trip with broken communication lines, the family maybe separated.

- If one is a 4x4 and the other car is a small compact car, a point in the road may dictate ditching the smaller one which cannot proceed any more. In such case leaving it at home may have been wiser.

#79975 - 12/12/06 04:52 AM Re: Two cars or one
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Bugging out both cars may be a good thing to do, but make sure there will be some form of reliable communication first. If cellphones are out, some FRS/GMRS radios will work well.

#79976 - 12/12/06 05:09 AM Re: Two cars or one
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have the following: a high-topped van (primarily for passengers), p-u truck (cargo), & a small passenger car (for a scouting vehicle). If I have to move, it'll be in a convoy configuration to an old mine in the Arkansas mountains, if the situation dictates.

Always keep multiple contingency plans (spelled: options) up-to-date and realistic!

#79977 - 12/12/06 05:22 AM Re: Two cars or one
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
My first thought in the decision making process would be WHY are we bugging out?? Chemical spill or vapor release, major weather event, terrorism, civil insurection??? Any of the aforementioned would probably cause me to take two vehicles. Both are 4x4 and have reliable communications equipment, public safety and amateur equip. One of the vehicles is loaded 24/365 with about everything needed for an extended BO except water and means are readily available to handle that issue. Problem is, I'm probably only going as far as the Emergency Ops. Ctr. or directly to the event Command Post. Wife will BO to relatives out of state if the event warrants.

#79978 - 12/12/06 06:59 AM Re: Two cars or one
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If there is a comm failure, that is why you have preset rally points between home and your destination, particularly if there is the possibility of using alternative routes. Set a time window, and a way of leaving a message if you get to a rally and they aren't there.

And if you get to your destination and they aren't there yet, you wait. Once things stabilize, you look at the possible routes, and work from there.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#79979 - 12/12/06 10:58 PM Re: Two cars or one
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
For me it depends on how many drivers there are and/or the distance your going, for short and med distances, one car = one driver, for long distances two drivers per car, for extreamly long distances a driver per car and a syphon, take the gas out of the car your going to ditch at a safe location when its at about half the tank of the other car to fill it up then keep going.. but thats only as a last resort if/when its needed

Words Mean Something.

#79980 - 12/13/06 12:03 AM Re: Two cars or one
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If this is some major, the end is near type thing, everyone in the area is going to be doing the same thing, clogging the roads, clogging the gas stations, clogging everything. Two vehicles will add to the clog. But, you could do the syphon gas from one to the other thing already recommended, and get a little farther down that clogged road before you are completely out of gas and stranded there. Unless there is a big cloud of green gas chasing me, or CA is about ready to drop into the ocean, and I am already close enough to Arizona to own beach front property,I think I will just stay put. I just to not see bugging out as a viable alternative, the only thing that might change that for me is if I were in a pretty remote location already, where the crowds on the highways will not be too bad (until you get nearer to major cities/highways). But then, everyone from the city might be trying to bug out to where you already are...

#79981 - 12/13/06 02:48 AM Re: Two cars or one
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Another thought (not that I'm all that much in favor of bugging out): I have a truck (w/canopy/shell) with two gas tanks (17 mpg), and a little old Chev Cavalier (30 mpg). If all the tanks were full, I would consider using the truck (has a hitch) to tow the car with a hastily rented tow dolly.

I could use the car as a storage unit and extra gas supply. When the truck got low on gas, i would pull over and decide which way to jump: keep the truck and drain the car, or continue with the car.

Sue

#79982 - 12/14/06 03:41 PM Re: Two cars or one
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Our family plan is to take both. Both are 4x4's (Jeep and SUV). Both have CB's, Vehicle emergency kits (made by me), If it is a long term event and time permits, then I also hook up my I hook up my flat bet trailer and take as much of my tools as I can (I assume that something will need built or repaired). As far as fuel, I have a jerry cans that are always full and enough that I can fill both vehicles at least once. Both have roof racks and are made to go through very rough terrain. If the roads are blocked or clogged, I start thinking sidewalks and the side of the road. I will get to where I am going.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 421 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.