Lesson 1 - The real first rule of survival is avoidance. There are simply some roads that should be avoided in winter. These include lightly travelled mountain roads. Mr. Kim probably was unaware of the dangers of mountain roads in the winter. He could have gone from Portland straight over to the coast and down 101 to his destination. But the I-5 and mountain road looked shorter. While Mr. Kim, as a city dweller knew that it was unsafe to go to certain parts of the city after dark, he probably was not full aware of the danger of mountain roads.

Lesson 2 - He failed to keep a full gas tank and to ask about road conditions. In winter, no matter if you are on an interstate or 2 lane road, it is important to stop often to refill and ask about road conditions. Truck stops are great for this purpose.

Lesson 3 - He failed to see (or recognize the significance of ) the open gate and worse, he failed to recognize that he was on an unplowed and untraveled road.

Lesson4 - He got stuck, but then got unstuck and turned around and then decided not to go back to the main road. Even if his gauge was on Empty, he most likely had a couple of gallons left
in the tank. I believe he should have tried to drive slowly back as far as he could. He might have made it and at least he probably would have made it far enough back that he would have been found by the snowmobiles.

Lesson 4 - He left tha car. He left shelter and warmth. Worse, he left his family.

Lesson 5 - He left the road. People sometimes don't realize just how difficult it is to travel in snow-covered terrain without skis, snowshoes, or proper clothing. This act, sealed his fate.

I have travelled the Northwest states as a regional trucking manager and salesman for thirty years. I have been in life-threatening storms, slid off a mountain road, and have come to understand that traveling remote, or lightly-travelled roads in the winter is, at best, a risky situation to be avoided by sticking to major routes and carrying the clothing and supplies needed to survive.