Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#79266 - 12/13/06 07:42 PM Re: The Dilema of Small Children (Birth-6 Years)
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Hi,

It sounds like you are off to a good start with your daughter.

Re: hiking. It sounds like your daughter can go quite a ways on her feet. I bet that in a few years, she'll be able to go really far on her own power.

Ah the joys of potty training. All I can say is that it does get better. And when it is better, it is much better than diapers.

Since you will probably be evacuating via car, have you
thought of having a second travel car seat on hand?
For example, if there is a sale when you happen to have the money, it might be worth considering. There are some car seats that double as strollers and can be used as booster seats in a pinch, and can also be taken onto an airplane. Plus, if you are in a car accident, you won't have to rush out to buy a new one at non-sale prices. A spare car seat can also be useful if you ever car pool with your daughter's friends. It won't help you if you're in a situation you have to walk out of, but it can be useful when you are in cars or airports.

-Kuovonne

#79267 - 12/13/06 11:22 PM Re: The Dilema of Small Children (Birth-6 Years)
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
There was an idea put forward on the Transportation of Elderly and Infirm Thread that might work for the cart/wagon option on this thread.

Now, to respond to your comments
Quote:
It sounds like you are off to a good start with your daughter.

I thank you for your compliment about the start with my daughter.
Quote:
Re: hiking. It sounds like your daughter can go quite a ways on her feet. I bet that in a few years, she'll be able to go really far on her own power.

You are right that for a two year old she has great endurance for walking on the relatively flat trails at sea level here in Florida, and I have no doubt with my continued guidance (training or whatever you want to call it) it will only increase, however, the fact that she Can do it is not nearly so important as being able to Motivate her to do it.. and from what I've read in an article in the February 2007 issue of Backpacker titled Family Camping 101, it just becomes more difficult to motivate them in the 3-6 years range and they begin to become too big and heavy to carry if they suddenly decide that they are done walking.
Quote:
Ah the joys of potty training. All I can say is that it does get better. And when it is better, it is much better than diapers.

I've heard it is hard, I guess I'm just very lucky because she Wants to 'go potty like a big girl', wear 'big girl panties', and 'poo-poo on the big potty like a big girl', she will boldly announce 'Potty Daddy' or 'Poo-poo Daddy' and emphatically insist on useing the 'big potty chair' and she does not like haveing dirty (wet or otherwise) diapers (which I no longer use) or pull-ups (which is what I use for bedtime and long outtings) so much that She is the one trying to get them off to go all the time.
Anyways, this is all mostly outside the relm of this forum, but I have a hard time not talking about my daughter when the opportunity presents itself, like most loveing parents I suspect.
Quote:
There are some car seats that double as strollers and can be used as booster seats in a pinch, and can also be taken onto an airplane.

Are these the carrier car seats for infants? If not, could you find an example on the web and post the link? I'd not heard of anything but the carrier travel systems.

Words Mean Something.

#79268 - 12/14/06 03:53 AM Re: The Dilema of Small Children (Birth-6 Years)
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Quote:
Are these the carrier car seats for infants? If not, could you find an example on the web and post the link? I'd not heard of anything but the carrier travel systems.

These are seats for toddlers. The first works for toddlers up to 40" and 40lb. The other two work with your existing car seat. Note that I do not have any of these and haven't tried any of them. (But I probably would if I didn't already have six car seats.)

The sit-n-stroll
This is a combination car seat and stroller.
For more info see http://www.tripleplayproducts.com/
I saw some of these in the airport and know friends
who have them. Some like them, others don't.

The gogo Kidz Travelmate
This is an attachment that basically adds wheels to
a regular car seat to turn it into a stroller.
For more info see http://www.gogobabyz.com/

The Traveling Toddler
This is an attachement that straps a car seat to a suitcase so that you can pull them together as a stroller.
For more info see http://www.travelingtoddler.com/

-Kuovonne

#79269 - 12/14/06 05:49 PM Re: The Dilema of Small Children (Birth-6 Years)
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Bought a wagon that has the infatable tires from Harbor Frieght for my son. Had an extra car seat and extra room behind the seat for pack of whom ever was pulling to put their pack. Keeping it simple and when you are not bugging out, it makes a great way to spend time with the kid. A win-win for times of need or times of play.

#79270 - 12/15/06 12:00 AM Re: The Dilema of Small Children (Birth-6 Years)
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
When my youngest was born, back before I had a paunch, I used to wear flannel shirts, and sometimes I would tuck just the front in and set her in my shirt straddling my belly, with her feet sticking out the sides. It was an improvised carrier that worked fairly well till she was about 15 months old. Then I started carrying her on my shoulders when I needed to. There was one occasion where I was in a field of grass that was just over my head. I put her up top and she helped me navigate to the river we were headed for. I think she was between 3 and 4 then. It isn't a terribly secure method, but it works if you are careful enough. I would carry her in my arms a lot when we would go places like the shopping mall and it was too much walking, but my arms would ache something fierce after a time.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.