The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#79167 - 12/06/06 05:15 AM where there is no undertaker
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I don't remember this being discussed, but I know many of us have plans that involve treating older (dare I say elderly) relatives, or have high mileage ourselves.

In an urban emergency, what to do if they pass on is pretty easily understood, you designate a morgue and use it. My concerns are rural bugging in and a walking bug out. (Bugging by car, I imagine my grandfather would appreciate the irony of being wrapped and tied like a deer or bear.)

In the former, I know, keep them away from the water supply, but then what? In winter, it's easy, but the summer is harder.

And in the later case, stick them in poncho/bivy, do as much of cairn as possible, mark it on the map and keep moving? That is my instinct, but maybe our medics and SAR folks have a better idea.

As I have to factor in further worsening health of my grandparents into my plan, I'd kinda like to have a plan that is typed up, laminated, and made THE PLAN for this scenario, just so logic is running the show.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#79168 - 12/06/06 11:08 PM Re: where there is no undertaker
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Ironraven:

Your post brought up some good questions and reminded me of something I had once heard in the family.

When my Grandma was a teenager she helped at a local hospital doing various chores and such. One of which was acting as an undertaker if you will. I spoke to my mom about this and learned Grandma had written about her experiences in her diaries. Basically, the body was prepared by washing (soap and water and then a disinfectant, though which one was not mentioned) then rubbed with oil of wintergreen for preserving the body, wrapped several times in linen and then placed into a coffin. In the old days there was not many “open caskets” at a funeral and embalming wasn’t done. I am not sure how they faired in the warm summer months. If you had time and could not get to a funeral home then this could be an option to consider.

About warm weather. If I had to do it and a body bag wasn’t available, then I would (time permitting) do a similar procedure above and then continue to wrap in a tyvek tarp and maybe the heavy duty plastic garbage bags in a survival kit. I would bury the remains in a grave and indeed mark the spot (GPS, or Map) and cover the grave with foliage and rocks to keep the remains cool as bloating occurs when the heat is higher. Another alternative would be to place the remains in a old freezer, or refrigerator.

If you are in a hurry, you may just want to place the remains into the garbage sacks and then a grave of sorts. I would say if you are running from a potential flood like a Katrina style hurricane you may return only to find the remains have been washed away. I am not trying to be extremely morbid just pointing out facts.

In Idaho there is a so-called natural burial law which simply states a persons remains shall be buried without embalming etc. etc. if it is done within 96 hours of death. I do know that in the event of “unclaimed remains” (like in a disaster, but the word disaster is not used) the remains will be kept in a “common morgue” for 45 days before the state will proceed with a burial. Check your local laws about this. Hope this helps.

Stargazer

#79170 - 12/07/06 04:43 AM Re: Body disposal
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My personal plan is to be cremated, then spread on the driveway in winter along with the wood ashes. Long driveway, I've had to shovel it before when the plow guy couldn't get out of HIS driveway, so it's kinda poetic.

The first plan included my barbecue sauce recipe and cooking directions, but every one got really antsy about that......

But in all seriousness, the reason why I ask is because I have two good spots for burial- both are gardens and both are within 100' of the well. Obviously out.

Pyres take up a lot of wood, and a lot of time, and are rough on people.

I've thought about a tree platform, but that's out for peace in the family reasons. The cairns work, I've got several old stone walls I've got no objection to taking apart, but it takes time.

And sea is just out- I'm about a weeks walk to the sea. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#79172 - 12/07/06 05:31 AM Re: Body disposal
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
My Dad served on the cruiser Brooklyn & the aircraft carrier Monterey in WWII. He told me about burials at sea during the war. He said that they would take the deceased sailor or all the body parts that they could find & sew him up in a canvas with a 5" shell at the feet. Then, the body was put on a hatch cover & covered in an American flag. After the appropriate words & a rifle salute, the hatch cover would be tipped up ( holding on to the flag) and the body would slide out from underneath it into the briney deep. Since they don't allow that anymore, I will have to commit his ashes to the deep when the time comes.

#79173 - 12/07/06 04:46 PM Re: Body disposal
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just keep in mind, that when you die, your personal plans do not mean much, unless your family is of like mind. In all 50 states, when you die, your personal plans mean nothing as your body belongs to the closest relative. They make the final decision regardless of your desires.

Pete

#79174 - 12/07/06 06:37 PM Re: where there is no undertaker
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
If you are on the move You could place the remains or body in his or her sleeping bag and haul it up in a tree. mark the spot for furture retrival. this also keep the varmits away from the body.

#79175 - 12/08/06 12:43 AM Re: where there is no undertaker
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have read some very positive thoughts on this thread. My version of reality is to dispose of the body quickly (& respectfully) before sundown the following day after death. Burial is usually the easiest, quickest, most respectful method. I refer to the books, "Pulling through" by Dean Ing & "The Stand" by Stephen King as two separate methods of body disposal; in 2 different situations.
If societal functions are broken down to the "there ain't no undertakers" point, later retrieval may not be realistic to begin with. Armies have traditionally buried there dead in 1 area near the battlefield. They record the info and mark the grave and move on. That is basically the plan that I have.
My personal experiences dictate that burial takes place as soon after death, as possible. I am concerned with the survivors more than the dead. The dead will now catch up on all of that sleep that they missed out on while they were alive.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.