Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79121 - 12/05/06 02:50 PM Flint and magnesium help
TofuSoleSurvivor Offline

Loc: Texas
Ok I one day while outside my dad said that I could not start a fire with a magnesium block and flint that I had acquired from a local outdoors store. Being known in my family as the “survivalists” I decided to accept the challenge, going through my bug-out military gear I pulled it out and went out side. I found a nice piece of flat bark to use as a staging post then gathered some moss dried leaves an small twigs. I scraped the magnesium off the block and got a good amount of it gathered in one spot a lot harder than I thought, I tried to spark it and failed. After about 20min of trial and error I finally got a light and started a fire. So where did I go wrong? I wanted to try and get it one shot any suggestions?

#79122 - 12/05/06 04:29 PM Re: Flint and magnesium help
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
What brand of block are you using? Doans or Coghlan's? What are you using for a scrapper? Are you putting one end of the block on the surface or are you holding the block above the tinder while sparking?

#79123 - 12/05/06 04:30 PM Re: Flint and magnesium help
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
From my experience with those things, plus what I have seen, read, and heard, you did about average, maybe a tad better. They will work, but are not the easiest way to make a fire. Add some wind to scatter those little chips and the job only gets harder...

#79124 - 12/05/06 11:22 PM Re: Flint and magnesium help
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I've always been able to light tinder with one eventually, but in any sort of wind, I collect the shavings in a container like a folded scrap of paper. Once I've got enough to make a pile about the size of 3-4 stacked nickels, it takes me 2-5 sparks to get the pile lit. I haven't tried the new-to-me advice of holding the scraper/knife still and scraping the bar across it instead of moving the scaper across the bar. But I can definately get tinder lit without too much trouble.

Then things usually go bad because I usually don't collect enough tinder and twigs to sustain it. I like the advice of collecting what you think you need, then doubling it. In my case I should probably triple it.

Watching video of guys like Les Stroud and Ron Hood, one thing I haven't done is blow a lot of extra oxygen into my tinder pile to get it really going. I usually start puffing at it when it's too late.

#79125 - 12/06/06 12:18 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And for sure don't do what I saw some Marines do in a video taken at their Mtn Warfare Trng center in CA once. They worked and worked to get a fire going, had a nice big one, then it just sank into the snow and went out...

#79126 - 12/06/06 12:36 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Gently blow, it doesn't take a lot of blowing, just a little air movement. Once the magnesium gets burning get your fuel on it. I like to have lots of fuel ready because I only want to use the magnesium once.

#79127 - 12/06/06 02:09 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You did one thing right. You tried this in a controlled situation. 20 minutes is a lifetime, correction, potential loss of a lifetime in a real situation. I don't know how many smug people I've met with a mag block covered in white oxidation who believe they have firemaking covered. what are your alternate methods? Have you tried them too?

#79128 - 12/06/06 02:12 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
WalkingSavage Offline
Stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I too have found it difficult to use the magnesium bar and flint. The only way I have been able to make it work is to use a leaf or somthing to hold the many flakes I need and then place my tinder on top of the flakes once I can get them started. I now prefer the Light My Fire fire steel to the magnesium and flint. It is more reliable. I can make fire in much less time.

John

#79129 - 12/06/06 02:25 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
TofuSoleSurvivor Offline

Loc: Texas
my alt methods are of course good old water proof matches an I also have a water/wind proof lighter in the easy access pouches. I have an ALICE gear military set with all this equipment on it, I have started them with both the matches and the lighter, it took about three matches to get it started and the lighter only one try to get a fire started. I havent used my fire starting cubes yet but will try that out soon. BTW thanks for all the responces to my question.

#79130 - 12/06/06 03:15 AM Re: Flint and magnesium help
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Lots of good diagnostic questions so far, so I'm going toss in a few more:

Were you whittling or scraping the magnesium? Don't carve it off, all you'll do is ruin the edge on your knife, scrap it with the back of a piece of hacksaw blade or something (or a file works pretty spiffy here). The other thing is, whan you scraped the ferro rod, stainless steel works but not so well. Carbon steel, or the spine of that piece of hacksaw blade I just mentioned. Even a lower chromium stainless like what Victorinox and Leatherman use in there saw blades is going to work better than any of the "brighter" stainless steels. Carbon good/chrome bad.

I know the book says the size of a nickle- try going for a quarter sized pile, and it absolutely has to be contained. It should be on the tinder, but not in it, that pile is the amount that is a solid layer.

For blowing, air is good, but think of it as VERY long puff. Or the exhale during a long kiss (best way I can describe it folks, sorry).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.