Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 18 of 24 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#79053 - 12/10/06 10:22 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the news stories I read said a mobile cell tower was brought in. Those are a little more complicated than a repeater, I don't think the required equipment could by carried on a small airplane or helicopter.
As far as a scanner, you only get a very short burst of data from the cell phone, the ping at regular intervals so the scanner has to hit the right frequency at the right time to catch one. Then you would need multiple to triangulate a position. So while its technically possible, its not easy to coordinate.
Then you would have to hope they haven't ran the cell phone dead trying to make a call. Something I added to out vehicles is an 12v socket connected to clips which can clip on the vehicle battery should the rest of the electrical system die, that way I could still charge a cell phone if needed. This was after buying a new vehicle and finding out the quality of Japanese electrical systems when the whole thing burned up driving on a trip so we couldn't even power up the old car phone (back when they were installed in a vehicle and didn't have their own power source).

#79054 - 12/10/06 11:37 PM Re: Doug's Blog Post
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

You are correct. For urban use, the tow strap is all I need.

For more remote use, a quality US-made 2-ton come-along can be invaluable.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#79055 - 12/11/06 12:05 AM Re: Doug's Blog Post
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

You might take a look at the griphoist I linked to (or others like it). It allows safe reversal of direction.

-john

#79056 - 12/11/06 12:34 AM Re: Doug's Blog Post
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
A good quality hi-lift jack doubles as a winch as well, with a tow strap. It takes a bit, but, if you have an anchor in the right place, it will get you unstuck.

#79057 - 12/11/06 12:54 AM Re: Doug's Blog Post
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:
A good quality hi-lift jack doubles as a winch as well, with a tow strap. It takes a bit, but, if you have an anchor in the right place, it will get you unstuck.

Agreed, but it's a bit tricky considering you have to anchor the vehicle in order to reposition the jack. And you need something to anchor it.

-john

#79058 - 12/11/06 02:18 AM Re: Additional Details on Kim SAR Efforts
widget Offline
Addict

The real problem with a PLB is that the average person knows nothing of their existance, let alone when they should own/use one.
I cannot justify the cost unless I plan a really remote trip without communications available. When you consider that the PLB is basically a simple single frequency transmitter that can hit a satellite, it seems very overpriced. There are a few other negative aspects, they are not very waterproof considering their intended use, they are heavy of you plan to backpack it, in realtive terms and they use proprietary batteries that must be factory serviced every 5 years.
Yes, they could save your life if ever used in an emergency but how many of us have $700 to invest in one? I honestly doubt I will buy one in their current design. It would have to half in price, come with better weather resistance and have self service batteries, like CR123s. The concept is excellent, just not very affordable for the masses.
Compared to a GPS map unit, or a HAM radio, a PLB is like a tricycle compared to the space shuttle, yet the PLB is much more expensive. I do not understand that aspect of the PLB.

#79059 - 12/11/06 03:33 AM Re: Additional Details on Kim SAR Efforts
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Any new technology is the same way. DVD recorders were $500+++ when they came out. As demand for them increased the price dropped.

#79060 - 12/11/06 04:06 AM Re: Additional Details on Kim SAR Efforts
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...As demand for them increased the price dropped..."

If only that worked for fuel prices...

#79061 - 12/11/06 04:27 AM Re: Additional Details on Kim SAR Efforts
Excomantia Offline
journeyman

Loc: Moved to my new home and now h...
Quote:
As demand for them increased the price dropped

Its the supply that increased causeing the drop in price, when they first came out there were relatively few so the price was high to keep the demand below or even to the supply.. as the supply increased, the price was lowered, people could better afford to buy them... etc, until the supply and demand balanced out to a saturated market, then the tech got better further reduceing the price... etc ad infinitum..

Words Mean Something.

#79062 - 12/11/06 07:48 AM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
jmbrowning Offline
model citizen
Stranger

Interestingly, 2 days after all the tires on the car are burned and one day after Kim left the car, nighttime lows go above freezing.

Page 18 of 24 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.