Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 24 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#78952 - 12/07/06 06:27 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
I don't doubt that a properly built shelter outside of the car would have been better especially if the temps started dropping even further. However, their shelter was sufficient simply based on the fact that the mom & two kids are doing great now.

#78953 - 12/07/06 06:47 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
if he was your friend, and came to talk to you before the trip, what would you have said his chances were of getting stuck for 9 days?

I would say it doesn't matter what the chances of getting stuck are. People do get stuck, and if you are one of those unlucky few that do, you'd best be prepared.
Quote:
Would you recommend spending $600 for a PLB knowing the chances of using it are slim to none?

I’ve not recommended a PLB, though it’s a good idea if you can afford it. I can’t right now. For about 1/3rd of that they could have had a pair of snowshoes, a tarp, a map, a compass, a signal mirror, and enough food to get through the ordeal.
Quote:
I know very well the type of car he was driving in, and I know there isn't much storage space.

The items I mentioned above would hardly take up much room, about the size of a medium-sized toolbox.
Quote:
A lot of people are saying how all this could have been avoided if only he had done this, or not done that.

Yep. And I hope a lot of people can learn from this situation. I’m already rethinking some of my gear choices because of it.
Quote:
But saying this could have been avoided is like saying you can avoid ALL car accidents by being careful. IF you always leave enough space for the car in front of you, IF you always check both ways before crossing the intersection, IF you stay away from other cars and never leave the house.

So we should never prepare for a survival situation or analyze one after the fact because sometimes people die in spite of their preparations? Sorry, with all due respect, that is just flat-out wrong. (BTW it is still a good idea to look both ways and still a good idea to avoid tailgating even if doing so won't prevent all accidents.)

#78954 - 12/07/06 06:55 PM RIP
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Via con Dios James
My family and I will keep your family in our prayers.

#78955 - 12/07/06 08:04 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Re the Air Force guy and his son: I presume that you saw the reconstruction on one of the Ray Mears programs? The thing's that struck me most strongly about that little debacle where:
1) His total lack of preparation.
2) A properly employed Ritter PSK would have gotten him and his son rescued.

I was sorry to read about James, but after that lenth of time I would also be thinking along the lines of do I go for help, or do I sit there and watch my wife and kids perish?

I think that he was an ordinary, decent family man who was about out of options and it was try, succeed or die trying time.

Nuff said.

#78956 - 12/07/06 08:04 PM Re: James Kim: The path he walked
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Path graphics that I found on the Hoodlums Forum post #39. Not a walk for the casual camper.

#78957 - 12/07/06 08:06 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
ducttape Offline

I did some research on PLBs last night after reading this thread.

There's a PLB rental site:

PLB Rental

They seem pretty affordable. This is not the end all solution, but an option.

#78958 - 12/07/06 08:37 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I'd like to add a couple tidbits into the PLB discussion here…

Yes, they are high-tech and they signal Search and Rescue very quickly to your specific location, which is why they are so expensive. They do their job and they do it well.

But a PLB is not the only solution for attracting attention to yourself. As others have said, a good signal fire would work as well, or snap the mirrors off the car and start shining everything that moves. Another great option is to have one or two (or more) RescueStreamers. These aren't just made for water, and they pack small and are much less expensive than a PLB!

Note that Kati Kim and the two children were spotted by a chartered helicopter by waving an umbrella with a reflective "SOS" on it. Using the RescueStreamer(s) to draw an orange line or "V" in the snow would have made a much larger, more noticeable, and passive signal. Hell, you could even throw one up a tree to give your signal a vertical aspect.

As Doug states in several locations throughout his articles, preparation involves redundancy. You don't just get yourself a PLB and think, "Hah! I'm set for every situation!" The moment you start thinking that is the moment the PLB's antenna falls off or the battery falls out and rolls off a cliff. The idea of emergency supplies is to give yourself several effective methods to get yourself out and to keep you alive until that happens.

To conclude, while being a great addition to any survival kit, a PLB is not the only option to consider and it is also not a 100% solution to every problem.

#78959 - 12/07/06 08:52 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
LED Offline
Veteran

the rearview mirror of a typical car seems like it would make a good improvised signal mirror. i assume the surface would be pretty even because its made from glass. has anyone experimented with one?

#78960 - 12/07/06 09:14 PM Re: James Kim: The path he walked
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Wow! that is amazing graphics of the path. All the different angles really puts it in perspective. He covered a lot of ground.

Of course we can 2nd guess him all day long, but I would be curious why he didn't start back the road going down hill right away?

#78961 - 12/07/06 09:20 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Norad45 said:
Quote:
I would say it doesn't matter what the chances of getting stuck are. People do get stuck, and if you are one of those unlucky few that do, you'd best be prepared.

(sigh). This is the point. Your car could catch on fire, so you had better buy a fire extinguisher. You or a family member may have a heart attack -- better carry an AED. Just in case on tsunami, carry an inflatable raft and life jackets.

It is easy to jump on the bandwagon of "carry more stuff," but unless you want to take you family on vacation with an 18-wheeler, there are very hard limits of what you can carry. In the 98.6 book, Cody Lundun says that you need to be prepared to survive for at least three days. This guy more than doubled that, yet it still wasn't enough. The simple fact is that you can absolutely never prepare for everything. I would like to think that I am more prepared than the average person, yet I cannot honestly say that I would have an excellent chance of survival in such an environment for a week and a half.

The usual advice is always to "stay put." This guy also followed that advice for a whole week. He only set out after it appeared that staying put would not result in success. He did not have a crystal ball, so he could not know how soon help was coming. It is possible that his family might still be stuck out there even today. Staying put is true in MOST cases, but in some instance, it is just waiting to die. And without knowing the future, you do not know with 100% certainty which action is the right one. Clearly, the "staying put" option did nothing for a whole week, so he figured that it was time to try something different.

In short, I admire the guy and his family for lasting as long as he did. It is easy to play armchair quarterback, but it is a whole different thing to be in the game.

Page 9 of 24 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.