The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#78897 - 12/06/06 01:52 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
It's not a matter of missing a turn or not - it's a matter of missing a turn, going oh heck, and not being able to turn back to get to the correct turn, or, as I've found with my in-car GPS, missing a turn. but seeing an alternate route just ahead anyway, so no biggie, right? I'd be stunned if there was NOT a GPS in that vehicle.
But at this point, I think the game is over - they found his PANTS - which is a very, very bad sign.

#78898 - 12/06/06 02:12 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Previous report regarding Kim carrying snowshoes may be incorrect

If true then this is very grim news indeed.

#78899 - 12/06/06 06:39 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
LED Offline
Veteran

posted by JohnN:
Quote:
For example, I just flew to San Jose for a couple days, and as a result I tore my kit apart and have yet to get it back together.

Likewise, we were hauling some stuff the other day and it took days for me to remember to re-load the kits into the Jeep.

Hopefully this will help remind people (it certainly has reminded me) that we do need to stay prepared, because things don't happen at convenient times.

i know exactly what you mean. i've been meaning to repack my FAK, adjust my daypack for cooler weather, etc, for a few weeks now. its so easy to put it off, but you're so right, this is a good reminder to keep your gear ready.

#78900 - 12/06/06 07:22 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
...For example, I just flew to San Jose for a couple days, and as a result I tore my kit apart and have yet to get it back together...

I'm with you, brother. I flew back from Houston last week, so my on-person EDC and man-purse got completely turned upside down due to flying restrictions.

Regarding the James Kim situation:

1. It is easy to say "stay with the car/plane wreck" and it is usually true but there are situations where you either walk out or die. For example the Stolpa family, and that Air Force guy & his son lost on the snowy mountain in Turkey.

2. When I heard the news about SAR finding Kim's pants, the story also mentioned that they were using thermal detection devices. My immediate reaction was "won't matter, because his body temperature is now matching the ground temperature".

3. I have been studying real-life survivor accounts lately via "I Shouldn't Be Alive" DVDs and books like "Adrift". I really feel for the plight of the survivors in an expanded way because you begin to sense how iffy every decision can be. In "Adrift", Callahan describes how every decision he made had an upside and a very real potential downside.

There are few easy decisions in these situations. I pray the Kim family will find peace through all of this.

#78902 - 12/06/06 08:55 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like a body was just found.
I wish the best for his family after this terrible loss.

Perhaps SOME good might come of this, as it may bring to light the potential for tragedy and the ened to be prepared...even if you're just driving home.

#78904 - 12/06/06 09:08 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One of the Seattle TV stations just had a gal from REI do a segment on winter travel and goodies to have. She included AN (as in one) energy bar for food. Anyone think that you can stretch one energy bar into any length of time at all???

#78905 - 12/06/06 09:53 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
norad45 Offline
Veteran

A sad ending. Condolences to the family, and sincere thanks to all of the searchers.

#78906 - 12/06/06 09:57 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
This is very sad news Izzy, although we were all expecting it here. I don't have much experience in the outdoors but reading 98.6 by Cody Lundin was an eye opener where he stresses so much the importance of thermo-regulation.

#78907 - 12/06/06 11:10 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
duckear Offline
Addict

Quote:
One of the Seattle TV stations just had a gal from REI do a segment on winter travel and goodies to have. She included AN (as in one) energy bar for food. Anyone think that you can stretch one energy bar into any length of time at all???

The avg american could actually benefit from missing a meal or two or ten.

#78908 - 12/06/06 11:23 PM Re: James Kim: Snowbound Vehicle Info and Analysis
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My condolences to the Kim family, really sad.

For those who are unfamiliar with the area, take a look at the slide show Here. The ruggedness of the terrain is beautiful to see when you're driving through on I-5 in a nice warm car. Check out the shots of the helo.

(AP Photo/Oregon State Police/HO)

The terrain is very rugged, not an area to get lost in and start breaking a new trail.

Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 158 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.