Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#78751 - 12/10/06 03:21 PM Re: Lanyards on a Fixed Blade Knife
marantz Offline

That reminds me of the article in the June 2006 issue of Knives Illustrated magazine about the Osborne Safety lanyard. Knifemaker Warren Osborne was training for a cutting competition, using a rear lanyard, when the knife slipped out of his hand, and nearly severed a forearm muscle. His Safety Lanyard, as he calls it, attaches through a hole near the front of the handle, like a hollow handle pin, or in the ricasso. The loop is short, and twisted to tighten the grip. If the hand slips, the knife stays put. He said that it's not really a new idea, as old night sticks and billy clubs had forward lanyards for easy access.

#78752 - 12/10/06 03:53 PM Re: Lanyards on a Fixed Blade Knife
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have lanyards on almost everything. The one on my fixed blades is usually the "hook over the thumb" type. Not only does it give me a much better grip on the knife, it is impossible for my hand to slip onto the blade.

Almost nothing comes out of my pocket that does not already have a lanyard or get immediatly clipped to one. When on the move, it is just too easy to drop something and when it is gone....it is gone!!

#78753 - 12/10/06 07:46 PM Re: Lanyards on a Fixed Blade Knife
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Quote:

<snip>
When (someone) said one of the uses could be to extend the handle a little for "chopping", I really didn;t envision holding on to the lanyard and wailing away at something. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think he had in mind was sliding your hand down the handle a little (like maybe two fingers on the handle and the last two gripping the lanyard), thereby giving you a little more leverage. You know, I'm not sure I'd be tempted to do that but you never know what you might need to do in a situation.

<snip>

-Stretch

What you do is put the loop around your THUMB, then pass it around the BACK of your hand and then you adjust the length by twisting the lanyard until you can hold the knife with whatever number of fingers you need...
The Becker handles work VERY well with a two finger grip in this way...
You can stop the lanyard from snagging, by having the two ends threaded over a tight fitting rubber washer and then a knot placed at each end at the correct distance... You do NOT knot the ends together... When you carry it, push the washer all the way to the handle so that you have two loose ends hanging from the knife... They will not snag on everything... When you go to use the knife, slide the washer all the way to end end where it is stopped by the knots, and use it as a lanyard...
A lanyard is also useful for Scandinavian style sheaths that have only the very end of the grip exposed, so that you can get the knife out of the sheath easier...

Edited by jamesraykenney (12/10/06 07:56 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.