Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#78431 - 11/30/06 06:19 PM Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Fixed Blade
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
What's everyone's 2 cents on this knife? Just curious.

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=AL014

#78432 - 11/30/06 06:28 PM Re: Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Fixed Blade
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Knives of Alaska make exceptional Knives! I have no experience with that one in particular, but their knives I have used are well built, beautiful tools. Looks like a decent deal also.

#78433 - 12/01/06 02:24 AM Re: Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Fixed Blade
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never owned any of their products, but I handled a bunch of them this summer (in Alaska of course). They all seemed to be very well made and finished. This looks like it might be a pretty good price...

#78434 - 12/01/06 02:32 PM Re: Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Fixed Blade
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Simon:

I'm going to give a critique based on that web page alone. Don't be discouraged -- all the stuff I'm saying just reflects my personal preferences, and yours may well be different. And again, I've never seen this knife in person.

AUS-8A is a good steel by me. It holds its edge better than 440C, but is only a little harder to sharpen.

I don't like knives without a sharpening notch. As you can see, the edge runs right into the ricasso without relief. That means that if you sharpen on a square stone, and try to sharpen right to the ricasso, one edge of the stone will ride up on the radius between the bevel and the ricasso and thus put undue wear on the small area of the blade where the other edge of the stone runs.

I don't like grips with notches for every finger. I can never get my hand quite settled. But I have slightly smaller than average hands. I do, however, like a single notch when it's incorporated into the guard

It has a lanyard hole, and I like that on a survival knife.

The bevel doesn't rise up very far, which can mean that the knife won't slice well, and may be poor at shaving wood. On the other hand, it will probably be good at splitting wood when batoning -- another survival knife plus. This all depends on how thick the blade is. The text doesn't say.

Those are the things I can say based on the picture and description. But I've never been able to tell what a knife was REALLY like until I held it in my hand -- so maybe you'll just have to take the plunge.

Of course, if you just resolve yourself to becoming a collector, one more knife is just SOP.

Bear

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.