Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#78304 - 11/29/06 05:31 AM Bug Out Locations.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll keep this short, do you all have a bug out location or multiple ones? How does it keep you safe?

I've recently realized that I have no where to really bug out.Most of my family lives within a few miles and its not like theres any place to bug out around here. Any ideas on bug out locations or the such?

#78305 - 11/29/06 06:30 AM Re: Bug Out Locations.
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Any bugging out that I would do would probably be temporary, so it would be to a local Motel 6 or a campground.

Other than fire or toxic spill (both usually temporary in one respect or another), staying would be better than leaving. And there's nothing within reach of my gas tank that would be better than where I am now, even if the house went down and I had to camp out here.

To me, bugging out is such an absolute last resort that I make no real plans for it, other than quick-grab and run, get out of the way, then come back when safe.

Sue

#78306 - 11/29/06 06:39 AM Re: Bug Out Locations.
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
What she said...

#78307 - 11/29/06 02:42 PM Re: Bug Out Locations.
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto.

I'm in a bug-in frame of mind, it's a roof and warm bed that I don't need to find elsewhere. After a bad earthquake, there's no reason to bug-out. Even if the house is unlivable, I'll take the tent and camp in the backyard. The only thing that concerns me is the wildfire situation here in SOCAL. But that's a localized event and because of where I live I have plenty of time to carefully pack and fuel the truck, and then wait to see if I really need to leave. Only had to go through it once, but it was a good exercise.

Look at your situation and think of the reasons you would need to bug-out. Is it a local event or nationwide? If it's nationwide, think about where you want to be long term. If it's local, think about rebuilding. Think friends and family.

#78308 - 11/29/06 04:04 PM Re: Bug Out Locations.
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Your question got me to thinking... I never considered it before. We own 10 acres of land about 8 miles from our home. It's raw land (no well, electricity, etc) but we have a very small camping trailer there and a large commercial box trailer. I store hardwoods and other stuff in it. We could go there I suppose, and we'd at least have some kind of protection.
Now you have me thinking.... maybe I should have some minimal provisions there... just in case,

#78309 - 11/29/06 04:34 PM Re: Bug Out Locations.
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...If it's nationwide, think about where you want to be long term..."

Just remember that fuel will be hard, if not impossible, to get, so if you plan on going somewhere you will undoubtedly be fighting for road space and fuel with a jillion other people. Think of the gas lines of the early '70's a thousand times worse. Throw in the panic factor, and things on the road could/will get very ugly...

#78310 - 11/29/06 05:05 PM Re: Bug Out Locations.
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I doubt that I would bug out unless confronted with a disaster that makes my house unihabitable (such as chemical spill or f-5 tornado). In that event, I'd likely find a nearby hotel or stay with friends.

I remember watching the poor souls escaping from Hurricane Rita (2005) trapped in the traffic from Houston. I'd rather not go through that unless there was absolutely no other alternative.

#78311 - 11/29/06 05:11 PM Re: Bug Out Locations.
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
In most of So. Calif, Citys I agree with OldBaulGuy. I also live in So. Cal. but have treee ways out that will not require me to get gas. The Farthest is 40 mi. to the Mountians andI can do that on 1/2 a tank in my truck, that has everything I will need. I live on the edge of civilization and can scoot out real fast, as soon as I load the dogs.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.