Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#78237 - 12/04/06 03:24 PM Re: The Firebag
Angel Offline

I have 2 mini bics in a case Here attatched with a carbiner, one in my BOB and one in my FAK. Then I have several eyeglass repair kit magnifying glasses and in the hollow handle I have magnesium filings, in the little plastic pouch I have a small amount of dryer lint, taped to the plastic pouch I have a trick candle and several cigarette rolling papers in a small plastic bag. In my BOB I have a magnesium fire starter/small hack saw blade. In my BOB I also have a plastic cigar tube filled with dryer lint 3 trick candles and about a dozen matches with a striker. On the cigar tube I also have duct tape and electrical tape.

#78238 - 12/04/06 07:34 PM Re: The Firebag
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
In pants pocket:
Mini Bic
1/2" x 2 1/4" ferro rod
2 Coghlan's Emergency Tinder

In Camelbak:
Magfire Pro
Coghlan's Emergency Tinder, in two ziploc bags - 15 each
6 small sticks of fatwood in small ziploc bag
2 Regular Bic lighters
Spark-Lite
4 Tinder-Quik in mini-ziploc bag
Cord and knowledge to make fire bow and tinder bundle

#78239 - 12/07/06 02:08 AM Re: The Firebag
olaf_yahoo Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey Angel why do you have a hacksaw blade with your mag bar? A hacksaw is a good idea for a bob but they are nearly useless as a striker.

#78240 - 12/07/06 02:15 AM Re: The Firebag
Angel Offline

I have it for various uses, it just happens to have a hole in it and fits on the magnesium blocks chain. Also I don't want to dull the blade on my knife. It's not as useless as you might think.

#78241 - 12/07/06 02:29 AM Re: The Firebag
olaf_yahoo Offline

Go to a local machinist and get some scrap carbon steel, say a strip of 1/16 and drill a hole in it. Or ask them if they could help you out but drilling steel that thin will be easy and you could do it with a hand drill on your own if you have to. If the steel is already heat treated you will now have a striker that will throw much better sparks and will do so longer than your hacksaw blade.

No using a knife as a striker is never recommended, a knife is quite possibly your most valueable survival tool in the wild so it is best not to abuse it. If you have no other choice use the very back of the blade (the section of the cutting edge closest to your hand) this area is used least frequently and will not be as missed as the middle of the blade or the tip. A better idea is to use the spine of the blade as you will not damage your cutting edge at all. Still, having some sort of striker is always best, in my experience having the right kind of striker makes a world of diference in using flint or magnesium and flint together. For more check out my thread on flint, steel and firestarting. Hope this helps

-Olaf

#78242 - 12/07/06 04:33 AM Re: The Firebag
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've actually gotten my best strikes with the back of a bi-metal hacksaw blade, and the toothed side is just useful.

One thing to remember is that there are probably a number of different ferrocerium formulations. Saying "ferro rod" is probably like saying "steel"- that's nice, what's in it? I've had better performance with my Doans than with my Coglahn strikers.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#78243 - 12/07/06 04:49 AM Re: The Firebag
olaf_yahoo Offline

Very true, I hear that comment about "steel" all the time, few people know there is a difference much less how much of a difference there is. Doan does make good firestarters, I didn't want to chop up my good one for the tests though. Your hacksaw blade was probably some good stuff then, if it works then don't change it.

#78244 - 12/07/06 06:41 PM Re: The Firebag
Orbital_Burn Offline

Loc: Idaho
I keep a vest in my truck that has lots of pockets. Looks like a safari vest. I still need to get a survival blanket to put in the back pocket, one of the ones that have mylar on one side and green canvas on the other. (those are good for warmth, as well as hiding from FLIR. I have 3 lighters in different pockets, a flint/steel in another pocket, and a small canister with vaseline soaked cotton balls. This is the total of the firemaking tools. The rest of the vest includes a MSR MIOX for water, signal mirror, whistle, about 20 feet of OD 550 cord, GMRS/FRS radio (will upgrade to better radio when I get the money), compass/LED combo, GPS, one of the Streamlight stylus, small CRKT knife, a different LED light that has no name, small pair of 8x21 binoculars, medium sized CRKT folder, and a bottle of purell. I still need a fishing kit, cable saw, and a geiger counter.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.