The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#78157 - 11/26/06 09:28 PM Wife's bugout bag
technician Offline
Stranger

Loc: S Central Kansas
I am putting together a separate bugout bag for my wife.

Besides putting things in her bag that may be exclusive to her, I have some questions. Should I pack hers pretty much like mine, so we have at least two of everything. Or should I pack essentials in mine, and nice-to-have in hers.

Thanks in advance.

#78158 - 11/26/06 09:49 PM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My wife and I have similar gear in our BOB's (though mine has more tools and so is heavier). This is in case we somehow get separated (God forbid!).

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#78159 - 11/26/06 10:10 PM Re: Wife's bugout bag
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not knowing what you have or plan to have in the kits, and where you plan to go, it is hard to answer your question. So I will just make a few guesses.

Assuming that you are physically able to handle more weight in your bag, you could have the big stuff, and give her lighter weight gear that could allow her to remain somewhat prepared if you get separated, and would complement your gear if not. You carry the tent, she carries a tarp, and knows how to use it to make a shelter. You carry the big stove and fuel, she carries a Pepsi can stove and small bottle of alcohol. You carry most of the food, she carries the main entree from a couple of MRE's and a bag of granola bars. You carry the folding saw, she carries a wire saw. You would each carry your own clothing, personal meds, etc, but each having some of the personal meds for the other wouldn't hurt either. Just keep thinking along those lines and see what you can work out...

#78160 - 11/27/06 12:26 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know Doug R. has a list of items on here that shows what to include for family.

I dont know how strong your wife is but it shouldnt be too heavy for her. and dont foget to include womenly things if you know what i mean.

#78161 - 11/27/06 12:49 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Does she know about this bag? If so, get her input. If it's a surprise, leave room in it for what she thinks is important.

Is this going to be in her car, sort of a Bug-Home kit?

Whichever, it needs to cover at least the basics: shelter, warmth, water, a way to signal for help, and food (food isn't a real necessity, but it can help comfort, and help keep your body heat up).

I would put enough stuff in her kit so you could both use it, in case your kit gets stolen, lost, burned or buried. Keep a copy of important phone numbers, policy numbers, etc in both kits, waterproofed.

Sue

#78162 - 11/27/06 02:29 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would say that your wife's kit should be able to stand on it's own. Getting seperated is a possibility that should be thought about, so she should get the essentials as well. And if you are bugged longer than you planned, the extra gear will be welcome.

Unless she isn't essential and just nice to have. Which I'm hoping isn't the case.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#78163 - 11/27/06 02:35 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Angel Offline

Whatever you decide to put in her bag, you should go over all of it with her so she will know what it's all for and how to use it. She may have some ideas that you haven't thought of.

#78164 - 11/27/06 05:37 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
Not knowing that you have it is the same as not having it.

#78165 - 11/28/06 03:52 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
What does your wife want in the bag?

If she cares, explain what all you are considering to put in it, what is in yours, and when the bag would be used. Then ask her which items she wants in her bag.

If she doesn't care, make it as easy to use as possible, and don't expect her to reach for it until you are in the middle of an emergency and you tell her to grab it.

My main piece of advice is don't expect your wife to actively carry anything that she thinks is pointless. So, trim stuff that she objects to or gently educate her on its usefulness.

-Kuovonne

#78166 - 11/28/06 04:12 AM Re: Wife's bugout bag
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Quote:
Not knowing that you have it is the same as not having it.

I disagree slightly in this case. Picture a wife with no interest in preparedness and who refuses to look at the contents of the bugout bag prepared for her. If and when an emergency occurs, she will be better off with the bag than without it, even if she initially has no idea what gear is in the bag or how to use the gear.

I don't know what technician's wife is like. However, I know that there are wives out there who fit the description above.

-Kuovonne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.