Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7802 - 07/28/02 09:17 PM Cotton vs. silk?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>I recently found a web site selling 35" x 35" silk bandanas (they also have them in cotton). I like the idea of a larger bandana, but am unfamiliar with any advantages silk may have over cotton in this use (or any other for that matter). Aside from being less likely to blow my nose with it, I can't think of any dis/advantages. Obviously, I have zero experience with silk. Can anyone educate me?<br><br>Thanks and take care,<br><br>Andy

#7803 - 07/28/02 09:40 PM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a couple of black silk bandanas that size.<br><br>My grandfather was a cowboy (by the definition that he had driven cattle from horseback for a living), and he told me that silk bandanas were more common than cotton in the old days. It makes a better filter mask (much finer) for breathing in a dusty environment, and silk seems to collect a lot less dust in the fibers over time. They also absorb less water and are less prone to chill you in the rain. I find them a lot more comfortable to wear against the skin for long periods.<br><br>That having been said, 35" sqaure is a LOT of fabric. That can be an advantage- you can twist it into a rope and drape it away from your neck if you get too hot, or let it fold loose and close for insulation if you're cold, but it takes some getting used to to manage one that size. You won't need a slide- there will be plenty to tie, for sure.

#7804 - 07/28/02 09:43 PM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Ade,<br><br>I'm sorry I don't have any info for you, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you could provide the url for the website you found.<br><br>Thanks a lot,<br><br>John

#7805 - 07/29/02 12:32 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have both and they are as big as I can get them . Presumed listed all the obvious advantages of silk. Cotton will absorb more water should you need to gather morning dew etc. I've used mine for just about everything, including a wet clay poultice for a nail puncture in a mule's hoof. They also make nice signal flags, so get something bright for at least one. There are lots of makers. A websearch of western tack should find many. Silk tends to be expensive. The edges should be rolled and fully stitched.

#7806 - 07/29/02 12:50 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

John,<br><br>jinglebobs<br><br><br>Andy<br><br>

#7807 - 07/29/02 01:06 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris and Lost,<br><br>Thanks for the info.<br><br>As much as I hate to flaunt my ignorance--how does silk compare to cotton strength-wise? I frequently use my bandana to tie things down/up. I know the cotton isn't very strong, but isn't silk supposed to be fragile? And a laundering nightmare?<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Andy

#7808 - 07/29/02 01:58 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A strand of silk actually has a greater tensile strength than steel. I've used my raggs to tie off many items when the manila came up short. washing is easy, just get woolite and cold wash by hand and let air dry.

#7809 - 07/29/02 02:45 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br>Thanks! That's exactly what my wife told me a few minutes ago (maybe wives are good for something after all smile.<br>I'm going to have to try one of the silk bandanas.<br><br>I'm familiar with the 100 or so uses of a bandana, I've used many of them (see here if don't remember them bandanauses), but I'm always eager to hear of new ones. Anyone?<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7810 - 07/31/02 04:54 AM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I have a bandanna with a topographic map of Mount Rainier National Park printed on it. The scale is just large enough to be useful. With topographic map software such as DeLorme's Topo USA so readily available maybe they'll start marketing custom bandanna maps (bandanna maps of local scout camps or popular hiking areas for example). Hmm...how much does it cost to start up a t-shirt printing business...

#7811 - 07/31/02 01:37 PM Re: Cotton vs. silk?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats not a bad idea. A few years ago, I bought my son a t-shirt with (I think) nine knot diagrams printed upside down on it. That way all he had to do was look down at his shirt and the intructions were there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.