Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#78088 - 11/26/06 03:08 AM Tv show: I shouldnt be alive.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was watching i shouldnt be alive on Thanksgiving and i really liked it. Its amazing what people can do with minimal items and a will to survive.

Any thoughts on the show?

#78089 - 11/26/06 01:51 PM Re: Tv show: I shouldnt be alive.
infrared Offline

I like the show and it's interesting to see what people with little or no survival skills & preparation have done to survive(as well as what they failed to do)and their sucesses and mistakes have lessons
That being said each episodes validity IMO is limited by several human factors:recollection(did they remeber everything they did and didn't do)-are those memories influenced by ego,honesty,truth,etc.
For instance-the episode at sea where two guys died not long after drinking sea water and a woman died from infection. The one survivor seemed too arrogant and left me wondering about the truth behind her story.That "Lifeboat" movie came to mind and I wondered if the "buddy system" wasn't used by the two survivors,IE-when a shark is in the water,push your buddy towards it. Then again it could all have been told with 100% accuracy by the survivors which makes it a tradgedy,even more so since she seemed to have the dominant personality and yet no clear leader emerged to try to take charge of what was a very desperate situation.

#78090 - 11/26/06 05:44 PM Re: Tv show: I shouldnt be alive.
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I watch the show and always learn something from each episode. Sometimes it is something to do, sometimes is something not to do. The one thing that I find odd is when something goes wrong with a person who is "very experienced" at doing whatever they are doing (sailing, mountain climbing, etc). They usually seem unprepared for someone with their experience level. But it does get me thinking about what I would do differently, both at the start of the trip (long before the emergency) and once the emergency begins.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.