The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#77925 - 11/25/06 03:10 PM Re: ? about space blankets
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I think that "skin to foil contact" would be the last thing you want. There is nothing magic about a space blanket. First, it doesn't insulate any better than any other plastic sheet.

Secondly there is a marginal extra benefit due to the reflective surface. It reflects back some of the IR radiation that was emitted from your outermost surface (beit clothing or skin) instead of absorbing it. If you are in direct contact with the blanket, any radiative benefits are insignificant compared to direct conduction through the thin plastic.

The main effect of these blankets is aside from shielding you from wind and water is to trap dead air around you. Again, if you are in direct contact with no air gap, that benefit is lost.

Now, I can think of a few excellent uses for these things. First, shiny side up for a desert sun shade. Second, to form the underside of a lean-to to refect the heat of a fire down on you, alieviating some of the crispy on one side, frozen on the other syndrome.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#77926 - 11/25/06 03:41 PM Re: ? about space blankets
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Izzy,
What book did you get that from, I had heard this a long time ago but disregarded the advice based on experience. I did some research (looked through the many wilderness medical books I have at home) and none had this advice.

Thanks,
Alan

#77927 - 11/25/06 05:13 PM Re: ? about space blankets
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Benjammin,

The Rivers West site doesn't have a price for the blanket. Do you remember how much it was?

#77928 - 11/25/06 06:02 PM Re: ? about space blankets
Angel Offline

I found them Here for about $65.00.

Edited by Angel (11/25/06 06:03 PM)

#77929 - 11/27/06 07:20 AM Re: ? about space blankets
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
$65 seems about what I paid for mine. I would put the weight at about 3 to 5 lbs. Essentially it is fleece material that has a gas-permeable laminate sandwiched between two loft layers, with some reinforcing in the laminate. It is waterproof but breathable (think gore tex). It resists punctures and tears fairly well. Like any other synthetic, it is vulnerable to melting temps, but it does come with some really good guarantees.

The fiber bias is a tad stiffer than normal polar fleece, but quite supple. It is very quiet material in the forest, good for hunting.

It is expensive, but you are paying for some terrific qualities. I've a hunting suit made from this material. It is less bulky than conventional foul weather parkas and multi layer outfits. If you really want something that is just like the real thing back home but will hold up well and keep you dry, then this is the ticket.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.