Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#77611 - 11/21/06 09:32 PM Red,green,blue,white,yellow lights.
Anonymous
Unregistered

So as i was looking on the internet at different lights i found that the photon freedom had several different color lights.and i only know a little about what the different colors do. so does anyone know more info on what the different shades of color on lights do or their purpose/specialty?like red,green,blue,etc.....

personally i only like white light(led/luxeon) and dislike red.

#77612 - 11/21/06 10:38 PM Re: Red,green,blue,white,yellow lights.
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
On a somewhat Different but still Related matter, -You'd be Surprised at how much Light!, a string of Outdoor Christmas Lights, can give a Room! Plus the Beautiful, Magical effects, besides! Think this year I'll again give it a Try!

As Always, -Lighting Safety and the like certainly Applies!,...

I've Just Loved and Love these! Since quite Earliest Childhood!

These and Christmas Music!, along with something of a Decorated or Lighted Tree!, -can go a Long Way! To making a "Nothing Christmas" (if you're a Shut In or somebody) into a Real "Something Christmas"!

(While at it, -Reminds me of Good Ole Mary Tyler Moore and her "Nothing Day"!...). (That preceeding may be somewhat Before your Time there, Supermark, -I do Acknowledge!) (Enuff Digressing of me now!...). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]supermark[/email]

#77613 - 11/22/06 01:57 AM Re: Red,green,blue,white,yellow lights.
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Red allows your pupils to fully dilate for better natural night vision. Lights with shorter wavelengths (orange - blue) will cause the pupils to contract.
Blue is supposedly good for following a blood trail. Contrast with the red I suppose.
Green is the light your eyes are most sensitive to and Night Vision Equip't is less sensitive to green/blue.
Yellow is nice because while it's fairly bright, it's softer if your eyes are night adjusted. Sorta like twilight. It will still affect your night vision.
White is best when you aren't concerned with natural night vision and want to see the full color spectrum.

For my applications, I prefer white or red in a light I'll use a lot. The yellow Photon on my keyring was an experiement for me and the jury is still out.

There's an article by Doug Kniffen that discusses the green vs red issue. The important to note is that while green may be better for retaining night vision for reading star charts, the light must be at very low intensity.
Quote:
Ideally, you want to use only as bright a light, red or green, as is necessary to perform your chores and no more. However, if you have a brighter light than you actually need, a brighter green light will generally have a more negative effect than an equally bright red light. Green or blue-green has a greater capacity to adversely affect night vision because the eye is about 100 times more sensitive to these colors, so even moderately too bright light can have a serious deleterious effect.
I've got a Gerber Recon (white LED w/ red, green and blue filters), but it's not dim enough for the purposes mentioned. The green and blue seem much brighter because at the same intensity, the eye is more sensitive to the shorter wavelengths.

#77614 - 11/22/06 01:11 PM Re: Red,green,blue,white,yellow lights.
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I had to respond to myself because what I wrote above is wrong/incomplete.

I got up this morning thinking "that's not right, what were you thinking?"; I completely left out Rhodopsin when it comes to the color Red. Red won't bleach out Rhodopsin and it's Rhodopsin that allows the rods to function. Pupil dilation has to do with allowing max light in, but Red is associated with allowing Rhodopsin and the rods to continue functioning while giving you the use of one set of cones, the red ones. Green, blue, yellow all bleach out Rhodopsin. I've heard that yellow/orange won't bleach it out as quickly and allow a low level of Rhodopsin to persist, but I haven't seen that. It's either dark enough for Rhodopsin to be present or it's not. Red however, is the exception. That's why I choose Red for a light to use at night when I want/need to be completely dark adjusted. It akes time, but it's worth it.

The article by Doug Kniffen conspicuously leaves out any mention of Rhodopsin. IMO, that article strictly pertains to reading charts while star gazing and not to maximizing natural night vision.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.