Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77575 - 11/21/06 09:36 AM My PSK/ E&E kit
Hazmat_USMC Offline

Loc: SW
A little background on me.... I've been in the USMCR for going on five years now. I wanted to share with you all some of the items I carry on my body at all times while out in the field.

I try to stress to my troops that having a survival kit on your body at all times is imperative for you never know what dire situation you may find yourself in.

I have labeled each item pictured and have the corresponding description as follows...

(Click to enlarge)

1. Buck/ Strider 888 solution with a 550 cord lanyard and cord lock

2. Leatherman wave (older model)

3. DMT diamond stone, fine grit

4. Specialty Defense Systems medical pouch

5. M258A1 Decon kit containers with 3M adhesive backed
unbreakable mirrors cut to fit inside lid. (x2)

6. Waterproof match case containing waterproof matches and 20 guage wire wrapped on the outside.

7. Waterproof match case containing fishing kit. Contents: misc. hooks, spoon, flies, mini bobber, split weights, swivels, and 20 lb. line wrapped on the outside.

8. FAK. Contents: 2" x 3" moleskin (x2), 5 band-aids, immodium AD, diphen, anti-biotic cream, rolaids

9. Laminated knot card

10. Space blanket

11. Magnesium fire starter (and yes believe it or not, I have actually been able to make a fire with it)

12. Bic lighter

13. Aqua Marine whistle

14. Toilet paper from an MRE

15. Three chicken flavored bouillon cubes

16. Phoenix Jr. Infrared strobe light w/ 9 volt power source

17. Gerber Clutch

18. Inova red LED light

19. Handmade 550 cord bracelet with cord lock (approx. 11 feet)

20. Water pur tabs and PA tabs

21. Long burning candle

22. Stainless steel spoon

23. Issued lensatic compass w/ pace counter

24. IRR tab (reflects under night vision goggles only)

25. Striker for matches

26. Three sheets of rite in the rain note paper

27. Purell hand sanitizer

28. Book of matches from MRE

29. P-38

30. Two large safety pins

I made this kit up from the extra supplies I had laying around the house. I know I need to add some things and may be able to remove some things. So all suggestions are encouraged and appreciated.

I know I'd like to add a button compass, spark-lite kit, and some other items... But unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees.

Any and all input is appreciated.

#77576 - 11/21/06 11:09 AM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Just a note before I'm off to work. You have a can/bottle opener on the Wave and Clutch...put the P-38 on your key ring. Put a stub of a pencil in your kit for the write-in-rain paper. How do you like the Buck Strider? I've been looking at it as a purchase for a loooong time.

#77577 - 11/21/06 11:33 AM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
Hazmat_USMC Offline

That's a good idea about the P-38. My original intention for it was to use it as the striker with the magnesium block instead of messing up any of my blades. But if it's going to be in my pocket anyways, then it won't be a problem making the move.

After much deliberation and research I had decided to buy the knife, not only because everything I had read was positive, but I had the opportunity to buy it from another individual for well below the retail price.

The only issue I have is the weight. Coming from carrying a SOG SEAL pup, this knife is considerably heavier. But for the quality, it's worth it's weight in gold.

It's edge retention is excellent. I've used it for minor chopping and prying open crates and such with out any problems.

I highly recommend purchasing it. However, I strongly suggest searching around. There are several sites that offer this particular knife with some pretty considerable differences in price. If you'd like some suggestions, feel free to PM me, and I'll hook you up with what I have found.

Here's Buck's link on the knife for some basic info.

Here

#77578 - 11/21/06 01:02 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
morph Offline

Loc: Easton, PA
nice kit. where'd you get the knot card?

#77579 - 11/21/06 02:11 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Welcome, and nice kit. The saw on the wave also makes an outstanding shaver/striker for the mag block. I seemed to get about 10X more sparks with it than I did with the P-38.

#77580 - 11/21/06 03:48 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
Hazmat_USMC Offline

All I did actually was look up "knots" under a google image search.... And that particular card I made was from the pre-existing boy-scout card. I just edited the image, printed it out and laminated it.

#77581 - 11/21/06 04:34 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You could save a few ounces by only having one "multi tool."

I assume that you carry a standard canteen and cup (and maybe the stove) to heat the bouillon cubes. And for that, maybe one or two chunks of solid fuel (C-4 works good) in place of the second multi tool.

You have your 20 pound fishing line, but I really like some dental floss in my kits, comes in handy for all kinds of stuff.

Unless I missed it, I don't see any needles in there. I would get a couple, with eyes large enough for that fishing line or dental floss. You can just stick them in the match cases. Good for emergency repairs to clothing, removing splinters, all kinds of stuff.

How do you carry this kit with you all the time? Is it attached to your vest/LBE, or do you attach it to yourself in other ways? Assuming that it is on your gear, do you wear that ALL of the time? If not, you might consider breaking the stuff into a couple of smaller containers that will fit in your BDU leg pockets, and ALWAYS load the pockets as soon as you put on a new pair of pants.

Good looking kit...

#77582 - 11/21/06 04:42 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
proknot.com makes waterproof knot cards. The set I have is (I think) five cards, double sided, and they are held together by a brass grommet. I think it was five or seven dollars. I keep it in my wallet. More bulk that a single card, but I really like the details, and it's not overly big.

#77583 - 11/21/06 05:47 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That looks like a kit that has been assembled from experience. I think that you should replace the purification tablet set with MP1's. No aftertaste and they are the most effective presently on the market. I also think that you should add a pocket chainsaw, a Swedish firestick and a small compass. The leatherman is a good tool but it needs to be augmented with a Victorinox. One of the one handed models. The two compliment each other to a degree that has to be tried to be appreciated.
I think that my biggest concern would to be picking items that I can disperse about my person. On the assumption that I may be separated from my webbing.

#77584 - 11/21/06 08:08 PM Re: My PSK/ E&E kit
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
The leatherman is a good tool but it needs to be augmented with a Victorinox.

May I ask why?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.