Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#77459 - 11/26/06 03:49 PM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The reason why I don't like air matresses when it is cold is simple.

What is an airmatress? A ruber/plastic bag that you put air into. So you have a single air pocket between you and the ground, which conducts the heat from that air pocker faster than you can warm it. Since it is a single, big air pocket, it takes a long time for you to heat it near to body tempurature in the first place, even if the ground wasn't stealing your hard won and well used calories from it. And the matterial itself usually has nothing in the way for heat retention- the only advantage that this would have over a hammock is that ever warmth has stayed in the air away when you get a gust of wind.

Foam pads, on the other hand, are a collection of little tiny air pockets (easier to heat) trapped in a semi-solid material.

Also, the air mattresses sometimes get brittle in the cold, and the moisture that you blew into it while inflating has a habit of turning into ice, which then turns into water, and is very, very hard if not impossible to get out in the woods, adding ot the weight in your pack.

For warm weather, sure, they work, but for the weight, I find a foam pad more comfortable.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#77460 - 11/26/06 05:05 PM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Size is another reason that I dislike air mattresses. My BIG, very comfortable and inexpensive Sportsman's Warehouse thermo-rest style mattress takes up less than half the space of an air mattress, is easier to setup and much simpler to repair (although I haven’t punctured a thermo-rest style mattress in years). Even when car camping (truck camping in my case) it is nice to save space and weight.
My air mattresses are reserved for guests at home now, too much of a PITA in the field.

#77462 - 12/01/06 06:22 AM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
In my case air-filled sleeping pad made a huge difference. Definitely warmer then the closed-cell type.

#77463 - 12/01/06 06:37 AM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
I've cold weather camped a lot and I've never been warm. Simple fact is if it's X degrees out....you're gonna be cold.

While this may be true at times, it does not always have to be the case. With proper equipment and proper setup you can be warm in just about any tempature that is survivable. After a few nights where I was not as warm as I would have liked, I decided to fix the problem.There still may be times when the gear I have with me is inadaquate for the current conditions and I have to suffer a little, good planning and preperation has kept those nights few and far between and freak situations where I didn't plan on staying out all night.

#77464 - 12/01/06 08:40 AM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Blast:

Sorry I am replying late here. I think everyone mentioned some good and useful ideas. I have very limited experience with air mattresses especially ones that large, which sound to me like a "extra-bed" for the house. My experience is with the older Coleman inflatable style camping mattresses that always seemed to leak even when brand new! I do know that the air mattress will be the same air temp as the outside air, which was already mentioned.

I have noticed one thing everyone has not mentioned, so I will. You state the air was damp from fog. This was a part of the problem that I can see. Fog and heavy rain will dampen the air and even at 40-45 degrees you will become cold. Damp air will permeate and also dampen most clothing. If your sleep clothing was also damp (usually from sweat) and the inside of your bag was also damp, I am certain this all contributed to the fact you were quite cold. I speak from experience as I usually spend one damp and rainy, or foggy night outdoors when camping. I usually sleep quite miserably during a stormy night, and you cannot seem to make a fire fast enough in the morning. The best recourse is of course a shelter system to keep moisture out (e.g. a tent) this way your clothing and bag have a chance to breathe.

I would be curious to know how wet your sleeping bag and fleece cover were when you finally got up and broke camp even if it was in the backyard!

Take care and try again.

Stargazer

#77465 - 12/01/06 05:12 PM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I'm with OldBaldGuy on this one. A proper bag, a thermarest, and a closed cell foam pad.

It's amazing how much body heat you can loose through contact with the ground.

Another excellent point was dry a dry sleep kit. Even in temperate weather, I keep one outfit clean and reserved for for sleep (thermals, shorts, whatever). Besides the retarding the "clammy factor" when cold, it really makes a difference in your comfort, and I like to be comfortable when I sleep.

#77466 - 12/01/06 06:09 PM Re: Cool weather camping advise?
Albireo Offline

Here is the setup I used for my last snowshoeing trip. We set up the tent right on top of the snow, and I was perfectly warm. When I woke up in the am there was ice on the tent, and icicles inside from the moisture in our breath, but I was fine and warm. It boils down to this: a good tent (this wont work for stargazing obviously), a good bag, and a good thermal pad.

Tent: North Face Mountian 25
Bag: Moonstone Maxima 0deg bag
Pad: Thermarest

Clothing I wear for sleep: Thin set of capaleine long underwear, wool hat. Thats it. In my experience the more clothes you wear in your sleeping bag the more your body has expend energy to warm up the colder you will be. Of course if your bag is not suited for the conditions you will have to wear clothes.

All an air matress does is put a large volume of cold air right next to your body. Makes for a cold night.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.