Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#77347 - 11/19/06 08:33 PM Re: Masks
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i'm not formiliar with US sources and brands. In europe, FFP-3 fold flat masks are sold by the brand VENUS, model:V-430-SLV

The are equipped with a metal nose shape thing (whatever they call it), exhalation valve and adjustable elastic bands. Being stored flat, they are very hard to crush.

The european FFP-3 standard is similair (although not identical) to the american N-100

#77348 - 11/19/06 08:36 PM Re: Masks
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I can't use swim goggles, so I've adapted a cheap pair of safety goggles instead.

I found a pair with the rigid lenses and flexible surrounds at the dollar store. I covered all the holes with clear packaging tape, and worked at the computer with them on for over half an hour without them fogging. I don't know why. But sweating may affect this, if you're working strenuously, scared, or the weather is hot.

They're also good if you wear glasses. But keep them in a ziplock bag, as abrasion will affect the plastic lenses.

Sue

#77349 - 11/19/06 08:38 PM Re: Masks
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

the sentence
Quote:
This mean, you either have to wear it all the time or accept the risk.
was only ment as for the biological attacks.

As for the part about dust created by blast and fire, that is really a question you have to ask your self when it happends. No terrorist attack is identical, therefor you can't have a fixed protocol for wearing or not wearing a mask. The availible ventilation and exit routs vary from place.

#77350 - 11/19/06 09:07 PM Re: Masks
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is much better. You are now providing information which has not been addressed in this topic, at least not to this level of detail. Though it has already been established what an N95 and an N100 mask can and cannot accomplish, assessing the threat really hasn't been covered yet. Assessing a threat is something I need to learn.

Jeanette Isabelle

#77351 - 11/19/06 09:23 PM Re: Masks
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Quote from Ame -

Isn't that just a bit melodramatic? Old ladies love public transportation in major metropolitan areas.

According to Wired News, flu, hernia, or police are more likely to kill you than terrorists.
---------------------------------------

Yeah, more people die from bee stings...

Nevertheless, if I wanted to close down Philadelphia, I could do it with four people: one each with a firebomb (see note below) for the (1) Market Street and (2) Broad Street subways, (3) Independence Mall, and (4) a commuter train in the Septa Tunnel between Market East and Suburban Station. If you wanted to take it a step further, simultaneous explosions in a few Walmarts and area malls, and a radiological attack in the center of town (few actual casualties, but mass hysteria). All told, maybe a dozen people could pull this off. They wouldn't even have to be suicide bombers - just able to set a timer. This goes for any major city. Just substitute Lincoln Tunnel for Broad street Subway.

Note: A popular "survivalist" website (which will remain unnamed) recently had a post with a link showing, in great detail with diagrams, how to make a firebomb with items readily available to anyone.

#77352 - 11/19/06 09:32 PM Re: Masks
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

when assesing the dangers of the kind of terrorisme, explosions ranks by far top on the list. You can't really protect yourself from blast injuries. But in the aftermath, they are similair to an accident. Lots of fysical injury's. There is however a danger of more explosives.

Chemical weapons have only been used in a terrorisme attack in japan 1995. The attack was not very effective in killing people, but it was in harming people. Proper protection against gasses are not practical, although these gasses can be detected with PID type meters, they are not placed in the first line of responds. So like biological attack hard to determent, when it actually is happening, untill it's to late.

#77353 - 11/20/06 01:55 AM Re: Masks
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Another option for dust protection is to use skiing goggles, the once used for downhill skiing. I found that they don't fog up as much as lab goggles

#77354 - 12/12/06 08:53 PM Re: Masks
dredd818 Offline

Loc: Georgia
This really doesn't involve masks, but it is along the same lines. When traveling in airports I refuse to grab the railing on the esculators. If a terrorist wanted to spread chemical/biological agents all they would need to do is apply some to the esculators' rails. I don't know how many people travel through the Atlanta Airport everyday, but millions to be contaminated in no time.

More realistic is the fact the person ahead of me doesn't wash his/her hands after using the restroom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.