Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#77083 - 11/16/06 10:14 PM TV show Man vs Wild
joaquin39 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia,Pennsyvania, USA.
I asked before the question but nobody answered. Does anybody knows what kind of knife Bear Grylls uses?. I am not a knife expert but I am sure that somebody in this forum can recognize the knife.
I will also would like any comentaries about the show.
Did anybody learned anything from it?
Thanks.

#77084 - 11/17/06 12:10 AM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Being out in the boonies, TV wise, right now, we can't see the neato stuff like that, so I can not reply re the knife, never seen it. I did see him on Jay Leno last night, and they showed a couple of clips from his show, both supposedly in the "desert." In thefirst clip he urinated on a cloth to wrap around hit head for cooling. Seems to me if he was that hard up he would probably have very little urine to produce. In the second clip he squeezed moisture out of elephant dung into his mouth (yuk). Jay commented that maybe he should just follow the elephants to their watering hole, that seemed to make a certain amount of sense to me...

#77085 - 11/18/06 01:40 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
widget Offline
Addict

I could not stand to watch the entire show, I did not want to see any more of Bear's misinformation. The one I watched was the jungle show. He seems to take totally unecessary risks, storms through the bush like a wildman and has no clue how to maintain a knife edge.
As for the knife, it was a knife. Some sort of AF survival knife clone. I did not like the design, that based on using various knives over the decades.
While there is entertainment value to the well informed, we can say "look at that idiot!", I see some serious implications with some people learning really dangerous stuff from the show, if they don't know better.
I believe a half hour of my time is all it will ever get.

#77086 - 11/18/06 06:07 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
Anonymous
Unregistered

my turn

1- who really give a crap what kind of knife he carries (no offense to your asking), i agree with most postings, the show is very poor, i too tried to watch it, he has no idea what he is doing, too many risks, and i personally never seen him "survive" much of anything..hahahaha, i had trouble surviving watching it without going to sleep

2-thank god survivorman season 2 is comming soon. Les is respectable, reasonable and makes a great host for such a show

3-let see if this man vs wild even last a few more episodes.......i have my doubts, and as popular as survivorman is, well enough said.

-just my few thoughts...

#77087 - 11/18/06 10:11 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
Anonymous
Unregistered

one more thing

-"bear" also referred in the jungle episode to the "milk tree" or what ever it was to it secreting a substance that was like "milk of magnesia" and mentioned it would help stomach cramps.

well MOM is a antacid but its also a laxative/gi stimulant, if your already lost, lost in the freakin jungle, and vomiting , the last thing you'd probably want to do is make your self have diarrhea on top of things-i forsee dehydration and hypokalemia in his future

#77088 - 11/18/06 10:38 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
widget Offline
Addict

I wonder if he has ever heard of using charcoal to help with stomach issues? His vomiting was probably as a result of some exotic item that he ate such as fruit off the ground which is usually not safe to eat. I once ate a bunch of tasty mangos because they had fallen off the trees, good thing there was a porcelain god nearby.
If you must eat the local vegatation, know what and when it is edible!

#77089 - 11/18/06 11:52 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
No mention of the biggest problem in the jungle? What's he thinking!
Trenchfoot/Junglerott/[insert other name here].

He never SURVIVES he simply 'walks out' like he's on a hike.

#77090 - 11/19/06 06:07 PM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
While I did not watch the show, I did notice that there is an ongoing discussion about this on BladeForums:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435403

Last I saw, no one there is certain what kind of knife it was, but if anyone can figure it out -- the people there can.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#77091 - 11/20/06 07:56 AM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
When I saw the pilot episode of "Man vs. Wild" a few months back (at least I believe it was the pilot) I was totally against most of the "techniques" Bear was choosing to show. Last week I made it part of the way through the Desert episode, and I stopped watching because I couldn't believe the situations Bear was putting himself into.

I thought about it for a while, and I was conflicted on a few levels.

Here's my dilemma:

I loved the "Crocodile Hunter", but have to admit that Steve Irwin's way of dealing with animals was pretty nutz, and shouldn't be imitated.

So I don't know why "Man vs. Wild" gets my hackles up for nearly the same thing.

It would be my guess that your average person is a lot more likely to come across a wild animal than they are to be in a survival situation. And yet of all the people that come across wild animals, whether they've watched "The Crocodile Hunter" or not, it would be my guess that most would take a wide berth rather than pester an animal to get a closer look.

When you're in a survival situation, you've got to do do what it takes to survive. Granted, what it takes should include sound risk assessment, and in a similar manner as above I would think that most people would go around an obstacle rather than through it. However, what if the only way to survive is to take the dangerous path, or by no intentional way a person ends up in a bad position?

In the end, if someone were to ask me to recommend a show on survival, I'd suggest "Survivorman" or one of Ray Mears' shows.

If someone were to ask me to recommend a show in which a man pushed his limits in outrageous situations and in which there were sprinkled a few tidbits of survival information I might suggest "Man vs. Wild".

I have to really ponder what it was that bothered me about what I was watching in "Man vs. Wild", whether it was the setup to each situation, or lack of such.

I just don't know. I might watch the show again to be fair.

OK... I love cable TV. Our "On Demand" service is listing a "Man vs. Wild" episode. I'll watch it now, and post my thoughts afterward. (Like anyone cares. LOL)

#77092 - 11/20/06 09:34 AM Re: TV show Man vs Wild
camerono Offline

All I can say is it just makes me angry.

"Cameron Ownbey"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.