Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#767 - 05/30/01 07:59 PM Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anybody tried or had experience with the Bob Cooper kit from Australia? Is it going to be tested by this great Website?<br><br>I noticed that it is used by David Alloway's Skills Of Survival course and a full listing of contents can be found at <br><br>http://www.akc.iinet.net.au/survival.html<br><br>J Turner-Bishop<br><br>

#768 - 05/31/01 04:38 PM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
NAro Offline
Addict

No direct experience, but looking at it my first reaction was that you could make up your own, cheaper. I don't like the knife, for various reasons, and wouldn't put this IN my kit.<br>I also can't find out what paracetamol is (I checked the PDR, but not OTC-PDR).. therefore wouldn't include that or the antifungal/antiseptic. <br><br>Like most similar products, they get you thinking more about your own personal needs. I haven't found any commercial kits I'd buy and use "as is", however.<br><br>

#769 - 05/31/01 04:54 PM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tend to agree with your sentiments in regard to making up your own kits to suit your own purposes, but as a base kit with which to adapt, I was wanting some input as to it's quality and functionality.<br><br>As far as prices go - $40 - 45 is still cheaper than many of the so called "professional" survival kits with more food than useful kit.<br><br>BTW - <br><br>Features of Paracetamol include:<br><br>It is analgesic (pain relief) and antipyretic (fever relief) effects are comparable to those of aspirin.<br><br>There are virtually no groups of people who should not take it.<br><br>Interactions with other treatments are not a problem.<br><br>At the recommended dosage there are virtually no side-effects.<br><br>It is suitable for small children and the elderly.<br><br>It can be taken by those sensitive to aspirin.<br><br>It is well tolerated by patients with peptic ulcers.<br><br>

#770 - 06/02/01 03:30 AM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

" Is it going to be tested by this great Website?"<br><br>Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, despite many requests over the years, and even a few offers of assistance from some Aussies who have visited the site, I have never been able to get one sent to me for evaluation. I'd welcome the opportunity, but...<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#771 - 06/03/01 05:20 AM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paracetamol use linked to asthma <br>Frequent use of paracetamol may make asthma worse, suggests a study published in Thorax (2000;55:266-70). <br><br>Altogether 664 people with asthma and 910 controls, all aged 16-49 years, were questioned about their use of analgesics and the severity of their symptoms of asthma and rhinitis. Weekly or daily use of paracetamol (acetaminophen) use was associated with more severe disease in individuals with asthma or rhinitis, found researchers from the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' School of Medicine. <br><br>from http://www.studentbmj.com/back_issues/0500/news/96b.html<br><br>btw, paracetamol is also called acetaminophen, you may know it from that name.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by papasan on 06/02/01 10:23 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#772 - 06/03/01 06:02 AM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have thought that common sense dictates that taking any "over the counter" pain killer for long periods of time (daily and weekly) unless specifically prescribed would be injurious to one's health. (Please also note the word "virtually" scattered throughout description of Paracetamol's benefits)<br><br>However in an emergency situation, where there is more likelyhood of a serious and immediate reaction to having an allergic reaction to aspirin (especially asthmatics being most at risk in chronic cases), paracetamol would be a "least worse" solution for fevers et al... <br><br><br><br>

#773 - 06/03/01 06:25 PM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was just informing people. as you say, there is no 'wonder drug'.<br><br>

#774 - 06/05/01 03:04 PM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Doug,<br>Is there a recommended total weight for your backpack and all of your equipment.<br>I once read it should not exceed 1/3 of your body weight.<br>I know that it would all depend on your fitness level, I just wondered if there was a rule of thumb regarding total weight.<br>Thank you.<br><br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#775 - 06/05/01 04:19 PM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

There may be, but I'm not aware of it.<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#776 - 06/13/01 02:56 AM Re: Bob Cooper Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ranger,Pack design and loading of gear will greatly influence individual capacity.The rule of thumb is heavier items towards the top. I've found in the real world that my natural balance suffers exponentially and what I need NOW is toward the bottom! A stout walking staff is a great help,and makes a great defensive tool,impromptu tent stake to name a few uses.I've heard everything from 1/4 to 1/3 as average capacity.Personally I feel like a astronaut with some of these packs on.I like a smaller rucksack with an Aussie type swag over one shoulder and a canteen opposite.<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.