Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#76567 - 11/11/06 09:05 PM Sound from High Altitude?
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Recalling once reading in a book on Ballooning (the Double Eagle Two or another famous Balloon Flight), -about how in the Stillness of the Night, -you can clearly hear People talking, Dogs Barking, etc, -thousands of feet below! -I'm wondering how useful this might be to someone in a Search and Rescue (SAR) situation. Particularly if you're located in an area with some Heights above you. (though the Greenery of the Forest may muffle some of this down). One can devote some of their Efforts to Calling, Whistling, etc Upward. Towards possible Rescuers etc.

Along this same line, -I've once known someone in the Service at the Presidio, (San Fran / Monterrey area), -who could well hear the Barking of the many Seals down on the Beach or Rocks below, -from the Heights well Above!,... [color:"black"] [/color] [email]ScottRezaLogan[/email]

#76568 - 11/12/06 04:14 AM Re: Sound from High Altitude?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I know that you can hear sounds further when it's foggy, apparently due to the moisture in the air.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear things from a hot air balloon, esp if it was isolated. We are usually surrounded by so much noise that we don't even hear, it forms a kind of white noise and limits what else we can hear.

Sue

#76569 - 11/12/06 02:37 PM Re: Sound from High Altitude?
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
It is true - on my one flight last fall, it is extremely still in the basket, and we were able to hear dogs barking and bird hunters (shotguns) for a wide radius. I'm sure we'd have been able to hear someone yelling at us within some radius, but this did not happen.

On the other hand, the balloon path is quite limited, and you don't get to go around for another try.

#76570 - 11/12/06 10:56 PM Re: Sound from High Altitude?
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I think you are mistaking how well sounds carry in still air for some other phenomenon. Balloons only go out when the winds are very, very light so that qualifies as still air.

I've camped on ridgetops above treeline and heard people talking and dogs barking 2000' below - very still night.

I've also camped in the valley below ridgetops where the wind howling sounded like jet engines up on the ridge. Had to wear earplugs to sleep that night.

I've tried using a rescue whistle to signal in snow and also in trees and found the useful distance quite short and even shorter if there is wind noise to ruin the signal-to-noise ratio.

So, my summary is, don't count on altitude having any helpful effect to signalling distance. Stillness helps, wind and sound absorbers in the path don't.

Unimogbert

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.