Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76385 - 11/09/06 02:57 AM here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Here's a way I'm using to EDC the Spark Lite firestarting system. I took a Bison Designs large capsule and then adapted the Spark Lite to fit.

The Spark Lite sparker was a bit too long to fit the capsule, so I used a Dremel tool to trim off a little less than 3/8" off of the base. I stuffed a Spark Lite tinder piece in the base of the capsule and another one inside the lid. If you worked at it I think a third piece of tinder could be put in the capsule as well.

Here's the closed capsule:

The opened capsule:

Looking down into the body of the capsule, showing the trimmed Spark Lite & stuffed tinder:

Looking into the capsule's lid, showing the second piece of tinder:

Finally, the capsule rides on my Bison Designs circle keyring along with a Doug Ritter MicroLight, Fox40 whistle and Uncle Bill's tweezers:

I used this unit this past weekend while practicing my firemaking skills. It worked great. I didn't find the shortened Spark Lite any tougher to use. I have another Spark Lite plus other firestarting gear in my main PSKs but this unit is able to be with me at all times.

#76386 - 11/09/06 04:39 AM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
Anonymous
Unregistered

where the heck can i get those capsules?everyone has them. i went to walmart and they didnt have them and i thought walmart had everything.haha

#76387 - 11/09/06 01:57 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
EDCDepot.com has them for $4.00.

#76388 - 11/09/06 03:12 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Excellent design. I have a couple of those capsules somewhere, although I don't remember where they came from. I'll have to try that out.

#76389 - 11/09/06 03:50 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
I like it. It's a simple, elegant solution. However, my engineering brain can't help making improvements. The working end of the Spark Lite is all that matters, right? The orange handle is only there to give you something to hold onto. So I'm thinking of a designed from scratch capsule that has a slightly smaller outside diameter. The screw-on cap (not at the keychaine end, but the other end) has the business end of the Spark Lite mounted inside the cap. Turn the cap around and screw it back onto the capsule, and you have the capsule as a handle and the Spark Lite on the outside ready to use. Thus the unused interior volume of the capsule can be used to store several tinder bundles.

How's that for an idea? I'll try and sketch something up this week. Maybe I can find time on a lathe to make a prototype... Feel free to steal this design, but if you do make a bunch of these, please send me one!

#76390 - 11/09/06 04:28 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Just keep in mind that the Sparklite has a hollow middle which a spring and a "plug" have been inserted. If you cut or drill the handle you may cause the spring to push the plug out of the bottom. Look at the bottom of the Sparklite and you will see the plug.
I found this out when I drilled a small hole through a couple Sparklites to hang on a keyring. One of three that were drilled had the failure I described; the other two did not. But this made me decide to not modify any more Sparklites.

#76391 - 11/09/06 05:40 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Yes, I was careful to shave off only the minimum amount needed to fit the sparker into the capsule. I like ZenEngineer's idea very much, though.

I would also like to have ZenEngineer's idea done on a slightly larger capsule that would provide room for a few REI storm matches & a striker. Then you'd have 2 independent firestarting systems on hand.

#76392 - 11/09/06 05:57 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Maybe you could fashion something using the sparker from this: http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/Necklace/body_necklace.htm

#76393 - 11/09/06 05:59 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
That is a great idea!

Also the SparkLite can be used one-handed with TinderQuik. As it was pointed out to me and I tried; you do not have to fluff up the TinderQuik. You can light the end of the TinderQuik with the SparkLite, as-is.

I'm still fixated on having a large ferro rod in my pocket with a couple Coghlan's Emergency Tinder. I have three separate things needed to start a fire (ferro rod, Emergency Tinder and knife) and you have it all in one compact container. Have you tried opening the Bison capsule and starting a fire one-handed? Maybe you could hold it with your knees and twist with one hand?

#76394 - 11/09/06 06:33 PM Re: here's a way to EDC the Spark Lite system
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Also check CVS/Eckerd/Walgreens they have small metal capsules for Rx that have screw on tops with a gasket of some type. IIRC they had a few of different sizes. Don't know prices....sorry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.