The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7607 - 07/18/02 10:08 PM Choose ONE knife Scenario
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The post from Longbow50 concerning which EDC knives you carry got me to thinking. <br><br>If you were flying over ____(pick location) at _____(pick season) and you knew you were going down and you could only choose ONE of your knives that you were currently carrying on that trip as you exited the flaming wreckage, which one would it be and why. You are allowed to create your own scenario and then back the choices up. Must choose a knife you own, have used, and would be carrying.<br><br>My scenario (assume I am pilot which I am not):<br>Flying over Eastern Montana in September. Small plane impacts grass covered hillside above Yellowstone River. Grabbed my Reeve Shadow III and PSK on way out of flaming wreckage.<br><br>Standing on the grass covered hillside with tears in my eyes....both from the acrid plane fumes and the fact that I had somehow crashed a plane in the middle of SouthEastern Montana.<br><br>Analysis<br>Why the Reeve Shadow III.<br>Small 4" blade with excellent, sharp, utility blade. Strong one piece steel design with hollow handle containing a BSA HotSpark, Tinder straws (Vaseline on cotton in plastic straw). Adequately large enough to assist in preparation of a cottonwood debris shelter and cottonwood fire. Shelter and fire first priority. Montana September nights cool and usually dry. Simple shelter and fire should see me easily through night. Plentiful water available. Hey maybe I will even try my hand at a little trout fishing in the evening. This knife is tough, sharp, easy to maintain, useful size for just about any purpose. Tomorrow work on signals. Expect big black burned grass spot and flight plan to result in early discovery.<br><br>Knives left behind<br>Reeve small Sebenza, hate to lose this<br>Becker CU7, would have been nice but the Shadow a more versatile choice overall<br>Victorinox SAK w saw, my most serious loss, fortunately have wire saw in PSK<br>Leatherman Wave would have been nice but can live without<br>Emerson Viper Model 5, sorry but I grabbed this on the way out also...absolutely could not let this burn up:)<br>

#7608 - 07/19/02 01:10 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Unthinkable... I'd have to be naked to have less than all my EDC knives... and my PSK has another blade + handle in it. Hmmm. Of my EDC, the SAK, no question, altho the Old Timer would tug hard at me. The saw is the reason the SAK wins out of my EDC. I've (very carefully!) split wood with the SAK before - never quite as large as wrist-sized. The saw + splitting with the main blade has made the fixin's for many fires in the past.

#7609 - 07/19/02 01:14 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Tom,<br><br>OK. In your scenario you have to exit the plane naked!<br>

#7610 - 07/19/02 01:44 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I'm assuming that we can keep what's in our pockets, so I will already have my new EDC, a CRKT Apache II.<br><br>I'd be flying over the Sierra Nevada mtns, SE of So. Lake Tahoe and when the engines started to sputter, I look for and head for a meadow. A water filled meadow that would make for a more or less soft landing as compared to a granite cliff.<br><br>As I exit the now sinking wreckage, I grab for my new BK-7 utility knife. As you check out the photo, you'll see why. The sheath has a bundle tied to the bottom with paracord that contains a large HD trash bag, space blanket and a super absorbant kotex pad. The pouch on the front of the sheath contains a complete Altoids tin kit that includes everything I'll need to survive the august weather, thunderstorms and all. The becker is without a doubt the best knife that I've ever used. Not that I'm a pro at this stuff, but I really like this knife. It is a little blade light for major chopping chores but has chopped through some major wood with no ill effects to the blade and it still shaved hair when I had finished. So far, everything I've asked it to it does and just smiles and asks for more.<br><br>http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/longbow1950/becker002.jpg<br><br>Probably not the best story, but I'm not much of a story teller, lol.

#7611 - 07/19/02 01:48 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

So far it is 100%. We all have cheated by exiting with more than ONE knife.<br><br>Good story Longbow....at least you are not naked!

#7612 - 07/19/02 01:58 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Longbow,<br><br>I had a hard time leaving my Becker behind in the burning plane. Especially after all the work to turn it into a kit by itself. Have you stuffed the back of the sheath with anything?<br><br>Here is what I have done to mine:Becker CU7 Thread

#7613 - 07/19/02 02:40 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not yet. I had given it some thought though. I lashed the shelter materials with about 30' of paracord. Looks bulky, but it works for me for now. I managed to put foil, water purification, snare material, a good fish kit, sewing needle, paper clips, safety pins, fire tender, matches, keychain SAK, 2X2, bandaids, antimicrobial wipes, vicadin, advil, benedrill, imodium ad, multi vitamin, condom and a couple of other items in the tin and then wrapped it with duct tape to waterproof it. I'm still working on it though. There's room under the tin like you stated that will accomodate more gear and I noticed the room behind the insert. I'll be working on adding to it for differing circumstances and placing it into the handles. I havn't probed the earth with my becker either but that time will come I'm sure. I did some lite prying with it and hung a couple of pictures with it, lol.

#7614 - 07/19/02 02:41 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Schwert,<br><br>Like I mentioned in an earlier post, and much like Tom, I have 3 knives on me constantly--sometimes more. But....since I don't look very good running around naked in the woods after a plane crashes...<br><br>Arrghhh!!! Tough choice. I have become very attached to my Spyderco Wegner, but I'd stick with the Leatherman Wave. The saw mostly, but also the fact that the other tools would come in handy turning plane wreckage into usable stuff. Snares from wire, that sort of thing. I might also be able to turn a piece of plane metal into an ersatz big knife with the file...who knows? I'd go for the options, and hate myself for leaving the Wegner in the plane.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7615 - 07/19/02 03:49 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My only flying is the rare sailplane lesson over the desert near Edwards AFB. I had a hawk play in the same thermal once, but aside from that only one near collision. A Ultralight with an equally ultra idiot once nearly flew into me. Only vigorous rudder kicking avoided disaster. So, I have slipped considerable altitude and have to make a unscheduled landing among the Joshua trees. It's going to be dark very quickly and that means COLD. I have a Falkniven Forester. this replaced my well liked Cold Steel SRK as the core survival knife. The two are very similar in layout. The Falkniven "lacks" the epoxy finish which I found a hassle when new and began degrading with real use. The Falkniven also has a usefull extruded tang for light hammering. This knife is robust enough to excavate a sleeping pit in the hard soil and easily break up wood for my three fires. In all likelyhood, there will be a rave party just beyond the joshuas and my photons will be appropriated by pretty young girls.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (07/19/02 03:53 AM)

#7616 - 07/19/02 11:55 AM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

...or was naked before the landing, which could go a long way in finding a reason for the crash?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.