Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7617 - 07/19/02 12:57 PM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be flying over the bushveld jungle in Africa ( probably in the Kruger National Park Area or Botswana/Namibia) This is a relatively dry terrain with lots of Acacia thorn trees and bush and lots of predators and dangerous wild animals etc. Quite a harsh environment in summer. I would take my Aitor Bucanero Survival Knife which I have tried and tested in the bush already. It has a recurved blade of approx. 10/11 inches with a severe saw spine. It cuts through trees like butter and chops like a small axe. It is tough, and has a mini survival kit in the handle with compass etc etc. This one is not weak as I can attest to that. I have used it in a similar environment and have been quite ruthless with this blade. It was also good enough to slice bread after this treatment. It still looks none the worse for wear. Only one????? Oh mannnnnnnnn!!!! LOL

#7618 - 07/19/02 06:18 PM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
zpo2 Offline
Stranger

Any climate. Any region. There is only one LIGHTSABER.<br><br>Accept no substitute.

#7619 - 07/20/02 02:23 PM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

I won't inteject my preferences... but, IMHO, the scenario would be more interesting if it were tweaked a bit.<br><br>The problem, as I see it, is that we're making armchair decisions knowing the "unexpected" event that's coming. Given the known scenario of facing the wilderness with a knife and little else, I'd probably pick something bigger and heavier than I'd ever actually carry routinely (the Jones Custom Dragonslayer with the 18 inch unobtainium blade, folding mini-chainsaw and GPS unit inset into the pommel).<br><br>The problem is, in reality, I've got a couple of drawers full of knives that seemed like a good idea at the time, but were just too much for routine carry even far outside civilization. The chances of my having any of those when I really need them are nearly nil, as much as I might wish I had one when I'm actually being charged by a grizzly or skinning out a T-Rex.<br><br>Maybe it's partly my backpacker background- maybe those of you who are routinely flying planes and packing horses worry less about weight and bulk- but I sort of doubt it. When weight and bulk are really are no object, you generally use more specialized tools.<br><br>This isn't a rant against big knives, I like big knives... I must, I have several in drawers, and I'd take at least one if I knew for a fact that I was going into a survival, escape/evasion or combat situation.... I just don't think I've ever actually had one of the big ones with me when I really needed it.

#7620 - 07/20/02 02:51 PM Re: Choose ONE knife Scenario
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, lets see. I am a private pilot. I always have a multitool, a swiss army knife and my tin when I fly. If I had to choose only one, then it would be the multitool when flying. My reasoning is that it is capable of disassembling the craft for usefull items after a crash. <br>Thats assuming my ankles were still in one piece. <br>My largest fear is not going down in the wilderness. Its an engine or primary control failure, at the end of the runway, at the treeline, on a hot and humid day, during takeoff.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.