Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#76 - 02/01/01 02:42 AM Fire (again)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw a survival site that mentioned a "metal match", anyone know what that is, how it works, and perhaps how long it lasts (#strikes)? Sounds interesting, but can't find any more info (yet). <br><br>

#77 - 02/01/01 03:43 AM Re: Fire (again)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol "metal match" is just a flint. i think its good for around 115 strike ( i have only 1 not much experienced with it) hold the blade verticle to the flint which is held verticle aplly a little preasure and push down scraping it and boom hot sparkes that leave purple outlines in your eyes appear<br><br>

#78 - 02/01/01 04:34 AM Re: Fire (again)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to, but I just received a Firesteel and it is approximately what you describe. It does work extremely well. Mine came on a lanyard with a metal strip that is used for striking. It can be found at www.light-my-fire.se/firesteel.htm. I was a able to find someone on Bladeforums who was selling them. Ten bucks shipped is not a bad deal for something that could possibly save your life! Though I have just received mine and only tried it a few times, I have heard from many that something of the Firesteel variety is far superior to matches and/or a lighter for survival situations.<br><br>Bucky<br><br>

#79 - 02/01/01 02:53 PM Re: Fire - thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ron and Bucky, the Firesteel looks pretty interesting, small and very useful. Not sure if it was the "metal match" but sounds like what I figured it was.<br><br>

#80 - 02/14/01 05:01 AM Re: Fire (again)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fint and Steel are the way to go. If it gets wet no worries. I always carry multiple means to make fire, but preferr using my flint and steel. It teaches you the secret of fire which is preparation and with that you can start a fire in the most extreme of situations. If you are looking for a good source for flint and steel go to www.wildernesssurvival.com, and no there are not to many "s" there lol.<br><br>

#81 - 02/15/01 04:43 PM Re: Fire - thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out your local Boy Scout Council office store. They sell a product they call Hot Spark Fire Starter. A small rod of man-made flint and a small piece of steel to rub against. Both are smaller than a typical house key. About $2.<br><br>Inexpensive, lightweight, small, and they work.<br><br>

#82 - 02/17/01 06:48 PM Re: Fire (again)?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Four Seasons Permanent Match<br><br>http://www.globetrotter.de/de/htm_shop/detail.php3?artnr=tw-01-201<br><br>its a metal match and used like a real wooden one.<br>works like a fuel lighter <br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.