Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#7590 - 07/29/02 12:52 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The Tramontina knives are a good knife for the money. I used to sell quite a few of them back when i worked at a hardware store. And it is inexpensive enough to not feel bad about sharpening it with a file.

#7591 - 07/29/02 02:14 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Your SAK sounds like a Huntsman ..."<br><br>I can second that. I have one of the older Huntsman models from around 1988 and it sounds identical to yours. No hook and the awl has no sewing hole in it, but otherwise identical to the current Huntsman. I am almost certain they are still the same dimensions. I also agree that the Fieldmaster is a nice variation on that basic package, too.

#7592 - 07/30/02 06:25 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Tom,<br><br>I can't say for sure re similarity of the dimensions of the current Huntsman and your older knife. However, I do have 2 Victorinox Fieldmasters. The Fieldmaster would appear to differ from the Huntsman only by virtue of having a Phillips screwdriver instead of a corkscrew. Anyway your post piqued my curiosity. I decided to measure both of my Fieldmasters. I inherited the older model from a wise father, so I can't say for sure that it is definitively a Fieldmaster. However it is substantially the same with certain minor differences. It too lacks a hook.<br><br>Anyway I measured both with my handy dial caliper. Although it is plastic and is graduated only to 1/100 in., it really is sufficiently accurate. Besides it is also of Swiss manufacture, and I couldn't resist the coincidence. My measurements & findings are as follows:<br><br>The salient difference between my 2 knives is that the older model is 3.29" vs. 3.58" for the newer one in OAL. Width & thickness for the 2 knives differ only negligibly, i.e., -0.02" & +0.05" respectively for the newer knife. On the newer, & nowadays longer, Fieldmaster, the other interesting dimensions include: long knife blade +0.22" ; saw blade +0.34" ; and scissors +0.08". The newer knife also adds a hook, an eye in the awl (as on a sewing needle), and a lanyard ring. The smaller knife blade reflects a curiosity: on the older knife, it is of clip point design & slightly longer than on the newer knife. Unfortunately, the older blade had a large nick just behind the tip. I slightly reconfigured & shortened it to make it usable. Even now, after losing roughly 0.06" the older small blade measures 1.61" vs. 1.60" for the newer small blade (all longitudinal measurements are from the tip of the tool to the nearest edge of the handle).<br><br>Incidentally our 17 year old Victorinox Spartans do not have tweezers or toothpicks.<br><br>And finally, if I'm making & reporting these measurements, I'm beginning to wonder if my wife (coincidentally also of Swiss ancestry ;-} ) is right in saying I may have too much time on my hands. ;-}<br><br>John

#7593 - 07/31/02 04:17 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
State forestry employees are more afraid of paper cuts any more (and unfortunately more exposed to them than machetes). We're actually not supposed to use machetes but are provided with Swede axes (Sandvick is the brand most common) but I stick with what I'm used to using.<br><br>I've never had problems with it being slippery but I usually end up with so much pitch on it it's hard to put down! A more serious problem occurs if you slip or fall while carrying your machete and can't get it away from you fast enough. I worked with a guy some years ago who still can't straighten out his fingers because of this type of accident.<br><br>I've used a homemade guard to prevent this. It's a flat plate that clamps to the machete just below the handle and keeps your hand from sliding down towards the blade. It was made out of half of a large hinge with a slot cut in it to place over the blade. A bolt through the hole where the hinge pin goes allows tightening to clamp the guard onto the machete.

#7595 - 03/17/06 09:55 PM Re: Which knife in you gear?
fordwillman Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi Longbow,
Welcome, and yes, CRKT are pretty good knives. It is true they sometimes use not so good steel, example 420, ugh!
One of their knives I really like is the Hammond Desert Cruiser. Decent steel- AUS8, and I do like LAWKs locking system--very stout.
Your new Becker is one of the best values going--bar none! Have one myself and really enjoy it!
Ford

#7596 - 03/18/06 05:58 AM Re: Which knife in you gear?
Zardoz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Hey guys, isn't it funny that the most time we'd spend in a SHTF situation would probably be spent perusing our knives & firearms to pick the right ones???? Someday I'm going to trim everything down to a real BOB and be done with it! Most of us would need a BOST - Bug Out Semi Truck to haul all of our accumulated gear!!! Some day I'll lean out the stuff, some day....

Anyways, I have a small, laminated steel skinning knife that was a gift and a Becker patrol machete, also a Leatherman. I THINK those would be the ones selected.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.