The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#75571 - 10/27/06 02:30 PM Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
For those of you who have a winter car emergency kit do you carry a sleeping bag, wool blankets, both or neither? And why?

My kit is currently undergoing reorganization. I used to carry a polyester fill sleeping bag, but I just ordered a couple of US Army wool blankets to replace it in the car. My reasons are that a sleeping bag can lose its loft if stored rolled or stuffed and may not be as warm as I expect it to be in an emergency (just learned while reading about sleeping bag care). Second, wool blankets can more easily cover multiple people (say three people in the back seat sharing warmth) then a sleeping bag which is only optimal for one person. Third wool blankets are more versitale. They can be handed out individually or folded together for one person. They can be used to put some one on fire out since they don't catch fire as easily or melt. And finally, they keep their insulation if damp or wet. Oh and they're cheaper, so I don't have to worry if they're damaged or lost as much.

Now the sleeping bag is lighter then several wool blankets (I'll end up having three in my car). But this really isn't too much of an issue since I don't plan to carry it on my back. For a single person the sleeping bag may be warmer (debatable).

Anyway, what do you guys think? Sleeping bag versus blankets for a car kit.

#75572 - 10/27/06 02:38 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I've been looking for some inexpensive wool blankets for the reasons that you list.

#75573 - 10/27/06 03:03 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Since we always keep camping gear in the storage pod on top of our vehicle, we have sleeping bags. And one wool blanket. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably choose blankets, for the reasons you stated...

#75574 - 10/27/06 04:05 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I went with fleece blankets. They're cheap, warm and dry quickly. They are not good around fires, but for an overnight in the car they work well. BTDT

#75575 - 10/27/06 04:18 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they've got some 60" x 80" wool blankets on sale for $6 w/ coupon (don't know if the coupon's really necessary, got it via their email). I've seen them pretty cheap via mail-order too.

#75576 - 10/27/06 06:22 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
How about taking a wool blanket and sewing a long zipper on it? Unzip for blanket use, zip for sleeping bag use. I know you can buy these things commercially made out of fleece (from LLBean, and from Coleman, for two examples). I haven't seen any commercially made out of wool, but I'll bet they probably are marketed by somebody, somewhere. Simple enough to make your own however (provided you have a sewing machine and can find a source for nine foot long zippers!)

#75577 - 10/27/06 06:30 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
My winter traveling kit has the following:
1- Mountain Hardware Zero Degree Sleeping bags, synthetic insulation - I keep the sleeping bag in its storage bag (vs. the stuff sack).
1-Mountan Hardware Bivy Sack
1-Therma-rest CAMPREST pad.
2- Fleece Sleeping Bags

I prefer the sleeping bag/bivy combination because it provides basic shelter as well as insulation. The Pad is very important because it provide a huge amount of insulation where you need it most... beneath you (two thirds of your insulation should be beneath you to keep the ground from sucking warmth from you).

The Fleece sleeping bags were cheap ($10.00) and work well as a blanket. I added those to my kit for other’s if the need arises and more as a snivel item vs. a survival item.

Another relatively cheap option are woobies (AKA poncho liners) I have a couple poncho liner with zippers added to increase their versatility. They are not ideal for sub-freezing temperatures, but are usable and a good replacement for blankets. I have one in my kit for warmer weather use, along with a dirt cheap www.countycomm.com sleeping bag and a military poncho. Lots of uses in a small cheap package.

#75578 - 10/28/06 04:03 PM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I'm about to order Emergency Bivvy Sacks from Aeromedix, to supplement my car kit.

#75579 - 10/29/06 02:46 AM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Major's surplus'n'supply usually has a variety of milsurp ones, as does cheaper than dirt.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#75580 - 10/29/06 05:28 AM Re: Car kit:Sleeping Bag or Wool Blankets
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I prefer to keep a couple waterproof, windproof fleece blankets from "River's West" instead of wool or sleeping bags. They are more rugged than either, easier to maintain, and will do the job in the worst foul weather.

Unless the bulk is a problem (which would be the case with a sleeping bag or wool blanket as well), there's simply nothing better. If bulk is a concern, grab one of those new bivy bag emergency shelters.

In fact, I prefer to keep a full ATP/ATJ suit with me on the road during the winter months. I keep a duffle bag packed with emergency clothing in the rig; enough to keep me cozy in cold colorado winters, even if I have to abandon the vehicle and walk out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.