Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7552 - 07/17/02 02:41 AM Multi-tools
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br><br>I am looking for a new multi-tool. I am switching brands. The problem is not with the quality of the tool, but rather a corporate policy with which I cannot abide. My present multi-tool is a Leatherman Wave. I love the thing and hate to replace it, but....<br><br>I've been a Leatherman user for 12 years now. I have zero experience with other brands. Any reccomendations?<br><br><br>Thanks and take care,<br><br>Andy

#7553 - 07/17/02 03:34 AM Re: Multi-tools
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Oh do share! What policy? I want dirt dernit!

#7554 - 07/17/02 11:15 AM Re: Multi-tools
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Andy,<br><br>Remember, most of all, it is ANDY'S MUTLTITOOL. You paid your own good, hard-earned money for it before they adopted whatever the policy is. You're not buying another new product of a company you despise. It was the right decision when you bought it. It is still a good decision & a good tool -- well almost as good as the Supertool anyway :-} . I wouldn't be surprised if I agree with you re their policy (whatever it is); but I'm not foresaking my Supertool (or Wave for that matter). BUT THEY'RE MY MULTITOOLS -- NOT LEATHERMAN'S! <br><br>I had the same problem when S & W made their deal with the devil, only much more so. But again, they're my guns -- not S & W's! And I have neither divested myself of any of their products or bought any of their new products. But, still, they're my guns. They were only manufactured by S & W. I bought them when they were still free from their original sin (of sorts).<br><br>And, again, as AndyO said, what is their new & intolerable policy. Who knows? Maybe they're still amenable to persuasion.<br><br>John

#7555 - 07/17/02 12:37 PM Re: Multi-tools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh please do share the gory details with us.......please!!!!!! I do not know what their new policy is but I have a Leatherman Supertool that my late father gave me in his death bed.....needless to say, that short of them condoning or commiting some atrocity, I will keep mine....it was my father's. But if you must.....then the only other brand I have is Victorinox....Doug has a review of it. I personally do not part with my Swiss Champ SAK. Please do share with us though...:-)

#7556 - 07/17/02 05:19 PM Re: Multi-tools
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Ade,<br><br>I have used both Gerber and SOG multitools. My EDC used to be a Gerber 400 series tool, but I changed to a Wave last year. <br><br>The Gerber multitools (original, 400 and 600 series) are good tools but I replaced these as EDC primarily for the saw and superior file in the Wave as compared to the Gerbers. The best feature of the Gerbers is their ability to be opened one-handed. The Gerbers that I have do not have a saw. Also the new models have a substandard file. Try and find one with a file that is stamped with the manufacturer (Simonds or something like that). The Gerber nylon sheath flops around on the belt more than I like. The tool adaptors use a square Phillips shank on the tool as a driver and are a bit less useful than the Leatherman separate driver arrangement. Gerber is now owned by Fiskars so check out these fellows also.<br><br>My SOG multitool is a ParaTool. It has a unique folding arrangement that makes it very compact. I really have never liked it well enough to carry often, but it seems to be a capable and good quality tool. I have acquired more blood blisters opening this thing than any other tools I have ever used. It also does not have a tool adapter option.<br><br>I rank my multitools in order of usefulness and quality like this:<br><br>Leatherman Wave (decent file, saw, more flat screwdrivers than needed)<br>Gerber Original (good file, no saw)<br>Leatherman PSTII (diamond file, no saw)<br>Gerber 400 (good file)<br>Gerber 600 (crappy file)<br>Leatherman Juice CS4 (Small, saw, no file, nice leather sheath)<br>SOG ParaTool (Compact, Blist-O-Matic)<br><br>I decided that EDC required a decent saw and a file. Having a tool adaptor is also a requirement for me as most of my work "repairs" are something other than standard screwdrivers. I find my Victorinox SAK's to have superior saws, so if I decide to carry a Gerber I need to also carry a SAK. This makes the choice for me to be a Wave.<br><br>Good shopping and what is the Leatherman issue?<br>

#7557 - 07/17/02 05:30 PM Re: Multi-tools
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hi all,<br><br><br>First of all, I have no intention of getting rid of my three Leatherman tools. I'm going to keep using them until they break, and then I'm going to warranty them. What I am not going to do is buy anymore of them. I had planned to buy three this year, a backup Wave for me, and two as gifts. No more.<br><br>The policy I object is their adamant refusal to even provide a source for a driver that will fit the specialty fasteners that hold the Wave together. The handles on my Wave are loose. That's all, just loose. I am not going to part with a tool I use everyday for 3-4 weeks over loose handles, but I would like to tighten them. I find it ironic that a tool marketed to DIYs cannot, by company policy, be fixed or adjusted by anyone but the Leatherman Co.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7558 - 07/17/02 05:33 PM Re: Multi-tools
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Schwert,<br><br>Thank you. I'll look into the Gerbers.<br><br>Answer to issue question in another post.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7559 - 07/17/02 07:09 PM Re: Multi-tools
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Ade,<br><br>I finally found security hex bits to try and grind into a workable tool for the Wave 5 spline torx fastner. I will try this out this weekend if I get time and post the results. I am starting with a 3/32" security hex bit. If it works at all, I will send it to you. <br><br>This sort of security fastner drives me nuts also....not quite to the point of finding different tools....but close.<br><br>See this old thread:<br><br>http://www.equipped.org/wwwthreads/print...amp;type=thread

#7560 - 07/17/02 10:05 PM Re: Multi-tools
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Schwert,<br><br>Thanks for the offer. I hope you succeed. <br><br>I found the company that makes the 5 spline security torx plus. I've ordered a catalog and fired off a pleasantly worded e-mail requesting info. I have no hopes; it seems like one of those deals where orders of less than "a very large number" will be ignored. We'll see and I'll let you know.<br><br>Thanks and take care,<br><br>Andy

#7561 - 07/17/02 10:49 PM Re: Multi-tools
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
www.brownells.com<br>they'll hook you up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.