Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75442 - 10/26/06 05:54 PM One for the radio folks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just picked up an Icom IC-R5 scanner, and in a week or two I should be able to figure out how to work it (every button has, like, four functions).

Question is: Anyone have any recommendations as to a quality single earphone with maybe a hangar that goes around the ear? Don't need a mic or PTT switch, obviously.

With the quality stereo earbuds these days, I would have thought there'd be something better than the earplug from the transistor AM radio I had in the sixties.

#75443 - 10/26/06 06:48 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
IMHO, Heil makes the best.

#75444 - 10/26/06 07:13 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
IMHO, Heil makes the best.

Looks like nice stuff, but they don't seem to have anything for a single ear that doesn't have a mic attached.

#75445 - 10/26/06 08:27 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
C.Crane has a couple single earphone models on sale. I have never tried these, but C.Crane's products are usually of high quality so they should probably work well for you. Yeah, but they do look old fashioned compared to today's fancy, colorful, gel, behind-the-heck, noise-reduction stereo headphones.

#75446 - 10/26/06 09:33 PM Re: One for the radio folks
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I use a set of Sony earbuds that have hooks that hang them from your ears. I prefer to have both ears supplied with audio. You could cut one of them (ear buds not the ears)off as being redundant if you wanted.

Got them for $11 at Longs Drugs. So whatever you do won't cost much.

If the R2 doesn't receive APCO25 digital transmissions you are likely to be missing some stuff in the future.
My State is on that standard now and the radios are expensive but I'd be hearing less than half the action if I couldn't hear the 800 MHz digital trunked traffic.

Unimogbert

#75447 - 10/27/06 12:31 AM Re: One for the radio folks
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I have had trouble with the 'earphone' from my cellphone falling out of my ear.....I found a (I think it was a motorola) cell phone hands free mike that had an eariece that (for lack of a better description) resemble the secret service style that fits into the outer portion of the ear......I have not yet had the thing fall out. The good news is that you can use the 'extra' earpieces to put them onto things like a walkman earpiece. The earpieces come in 3 different sizes (1 each for R and L ears) so even using the one for the phone, I stilll have one that I can use in my other ear for the regular radio.
Give them a look.

#75448 - 10/27/06 12:28 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't know there earbuds with hooks, I'll have to take a look next time I'm in a store.

As for the APCO25 stuff: Yeah, I knew there were major changes going on and I should have done a little research, but my primary interest was in a quality portable recv'r for commercial broadcast band am/fm and NWS weather that had a speaker and ran off AA batteries. Being able to pick up the other stuff was a bonus. I looked in to cheaper radios, and the one universal seemed to be that they all sucked at recvg the weather stations. Another bonus with the Icom is that it has a weather alert feature.

#75449 - 10/27/06 12:35 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I found a (I think it was a motorola) cell phone hands free mike that had an eariece that (for lack of a better description) resemble the secret service style that fits into the outer portion of the ear......I have not yet had the thing fall out.

Something that would fit in the outer ear is what I vaguely had in mind. There's this
from C. Crane that Arney mentioned. Interesting, a little wierd, but interesting. At least it can't just fall out/off.

#75450 - 10/27/06 01:35 PM Re: One for the radio folks
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
"my primary interest was in a quality portable recv'r for commercial broadcast band am/fm and NWS weather that had a speaker and ran off AA batteries. Being able to pick up the other stuff was a bonus. "

Then the R2 will exceed your specs by a lot.
Check the earphones racks at most any store. The Walkman/Ipod products brought out a lot of new ways of hearing thru earphones.

I find that having scanners means I know more about what's going on to affect me than any broadcasters do.

Yesterday's Colorado snowstorm was a classic use for situational awareness during my 50 mile commute.
This morning I diverted around a crash in the interstate because I knew where it was far ahead of seeing the pathetically late/limited/useless traffic signboards that CDOT alleges to inform motorists with. (Also found out it was
caused by someone with a nationwide felony warrant for their arrest.)

Unimogbert

#75451 - 10/27/06 02:22 PM Re: One for the radio folks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Then the R2 will exceed your specs by a lot.

I know, it seems Iike major overkill. I did look around quite a bit. The combination of wanting a speaker and weather eliminated the majority of the cheaper stuff. I picked up the unit used, so it wasn't as big a hit as paying retail.

So, what are you using in your vehicle? I assume it deals with this P25 digital trunking stuff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.